March 26th, 2013 at 2:10 PM
By Kyle Langan

After spending the 2012 season as the assistant offensive line coach for the New York Giants, Matt Rhule decided to move on and become a head coach at Temple.

Rhule spent six seasons prior to 2012 on Temples offensive staff in some capacity before heading up the New Jersey Turnpike to the Meadowlands. During his short stint with the Giants, Rhule learned a lot about what it takes to coach at the highest level.

With Tom Coughlin watching over him at all times, it did not require much effort on Rhules part to find what he described as “leadership personified.”

"I've said it this way, he's (Coughlin) leadership personified. Here's what I mean: He never allowed distractions to enter anything. He runs the team. What football is about is creating energy and eliminating distractions. If we could just spend all of our time on football, college football teams would be really good. He eliminated distractions and allowed the coaches to just coach football. He handled them. He never showed signs of weakness. He never didn't show confidence in himself or the plan. … He says what he wants, and you're going to do it, and if you don't do it there's consequences. He's very fair about it. And he handles the players that way. I went in with one idea and left with a complete other. I just hope I'm half the coach that he is."

Leadership is not the only thing up-and-coming coaches can learn from Coughlin. The fundamentals of a successful football team are also something Rhule learned as a member of the Giants staff.

"The fundamental basis of what we do is what I brought back from New York. It's professional drop-back football and professional drop-back protection schemes. And then in the run game, the offensive line plays pro football. … I was on the staff when we played the Washington Redskins last year. They are running their traditional offense with just enough spread, zone-read stuff that's all you think about the whole game. Your $17 million pass rushers are worried about squeezing and taking RGIII and not hitting the quarterback. That's our mindset, we are going to have some spread principles. But the basis of what we do will be a pro-style offense. We'll have a fullback and tight ends. At the same time there's times where we'll be in four wide and the quarterback will be reading it."

The Giants have replaced Matt Rhule and his role as assistant offensive line coach with Lunda Wells. During the 2012 season, wells served as an offensive quality control coach.

Tags: Football, Lunda Wells, Matt Rhule, New Jersey, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Temple, Tom Coughlin, Washington, Washington Redskins

67 Responses to “Temple Head Coach Matt Rhule Offers High Praise for New York Giants Head Coach Tom Coughlin”

1 2 3

Ed Reed didn’t fully understand the business of the NFL until now

After leaving the Ravens and signing with the Texans, Ed Reed said this offseason has been a wakeup call for him in learning about the business of the NFL.

Reed said on 105.7 The Fan in Baltimore that he believed after the Super Bowl that the Ravens would be able to keep the nucleus of their championship team together. It was disappointing for Reed to come to the realization that the Ravens were undergoing a major roster shakeup.

“I didn’t expect this. Did I want it? No, I didn’t want it. But do I understand it? Yes I understand it,” Reed said, via Sports Radio Interviews. “My heart really felt that we had an opportunity to do some special things because we had a core of people. I honestly didn’t know the true nitty-gritty of the business side of it. I didn’t know all the possibilities that would happen and transpired the last few weeks or so. I didn’t know all that would happen the way it did. That put things in perspective as well to let you know the team is kind of going in a different direction. Not rebuilding but in a sense rebuilding, to make different moves and it just wasn’t economically the best situation for me.”

Reed has handled his departure after 11 years in Baltimore with class, but this is a disappointing time for him. Every star player eventually comes to the realization that as he gets older he gets easier to replace, and for Reed, that realization came when the Ravens let him walk.

2.  GeezUp says:

While TC is deserving of all the accolades one can bestow, I still believe his personnel decisions cost us a chance to repeat. His loyalty to Diehl, Bradshaw, and Webster hurt us. And while I understand loyalty counts on a football team, it also eats away at camaraderie of team when some players feel like other players are getting preferential treatment. With that said, I still think he’s the best option for us.

As for the Shaun Rodgers incident, the insurance adjuster in me will have immediately phoned the fraud department as soon as I opened the file. Granted some athletes are a order of small fries short of a Happy Meal, I refuse to believe that some random female had access to his hotel safe or was able to walk off with a half a mil in jewelry. Stop it!!! If Shaun Rodgers is that stupid, he needs to be cut immediately!!! There’s no way he can help our football team.

Funny you mention that. I thought of the same thing re: Rogers. How did she get access to the safe? Sounds pretty fishy. Either the hotel really screwed up or there’s something that doesn’t add up in the story. It has to be one of:

1) Rogers is dumb enough to have been wearing it all and left it lying around the room where it was easy to steal but knows that would void his insurance policy so claimed it was in the safe (which will prove false);

2) The hotel made a huge mistake and is on the hook for the loss thanks to gross negligence; or

3) The whole thing is a set-up meant to defraud the insurance company and/or the hotel.

I wasn’t thinking that but if it’s #3 it’s pretty good idea. I know insurance isn’t something easy to defraud. But a random club girl would be very difficult to track down. A story with less holes would have been said she drugged me and stole the jewelry off of me.

3.  norm says:

To continue the discussion from the previous thread…

GOAT asks:

What position is worth a first round pick if you can find others who may be just as good later in the draft?

My answer:

A position where you have a significantly better chance of finding an impact player than you would at corner; i.e. a player who can really take over a game.

Let me restate my point in simpler terms: It’s still possible in today’s NFL for a DE (to use but one example) to almost singlehandedly influence the outcome of a football game. Think Tuck in Supe 42 or JPP in the first Dallas game in 2011.

Cornerbacks used to be able to do that in the days before all the rules changes rendered them eunuchs. Nowadays, it seems the standard for top CB play is to get burned less than 50% of the time – as shown by this NFL.com table.

That table lists “the top six cornerbacks through Week 10 [of 2012] according to their ‘burn percentage,’ which shows how many of the balls thrown in their direction have resulted in pass completions.” Looking it over, you see the CB with the lowest “burn percentage” was the Jets’ Cromartie at 39.5% (Prince was fifth best at 45.5)

Maybe I’m crazy – but it seems that it would be much easier to unearth a top CB (i.e. one who gets burned less than 50% of the time) in the later rounds than it would be to find a game changing DE in those same rounds.

So the question is not whether or not great players at any position can be found in the later rounds. Of course they can. It’s more a question of the standard of greatness you are looking for. If it’s the game-changing kind than you have a better chance of finding it by sticking to positions other than CB in the first. But if the greatness you’re searching for is the murky morass of mediocrity that passes for top CB play in today’s NFL, then it’s something that’s more easily found in the later rounds than at most other positions.

I don’t even disagree much with you argument. My point is looking at this draft what player applies to those principles at DE picking at 19. Anash is expected to be long gone, if he isn’t it’s a no brainer. Tank Carradine if deemed healthy enough I would be on board. And Marques Hunt has enough upside I could be sold skill wise but his age wouldcause be to pass at #19. Hunt is like Kuhn late to the football game and has upside because of that but will be 26 by his first game. I don’t believe Werner, Montgomery or Moore are impact players on the NFL level.

The player that’s intriguing in the 3rd round range is Cornelius Washington, he put up great combine numbers but was far from great playing across from Jarvis Jones at Georgia. But I believe his playing 3-4 OLB good have hidden his real skill at DE and that’s why he under-performed considering his athletic ability.

Basically, I don’t believe a worthy DE will be available at 19.

•  norm says:

I wouldn’t know as I do not follow college ball.

But if a worthy DE won’t be around at 19, I’d still prefer Reese & Co. to go BPA at a position other than corner and wait a round or two to address it. Which should be possible if this class is really as deep at CB as I’ve been reading.

I watch college football but NFL draft wise I get most of my info from reading as well. It seems that OT, OG and DT are also deep positions so CB while also stated as deep as not all that different than other positions we need. So I don’t see following you logic while those positions are any different. And as Dirt or Krow pointed out a while ago DT is a position known for first round busts.

I think in this draft because there are few elite talents that several positions are considered deep because the difference between a 1st and 3rd rounder isn’t much in most cases.

•  Dan Peterson says:

Why would you want Tank over Werner? Tank had a good year, but it was because Werner was doubled at all times – and he still had just as good a season. When they played the Gators, the RBs ran right at Tank’s side the whole game and blew him up, while Werner was crushing them on the other side.

Add into that an ACL injury…

•  JBeast says:

Thank you!! Well said. I don’t know why Werner is falling in mock drafts and why quite a few ppl on here are down on Werner but I watched him play a few games and from what I have seen the kid has a non stop motor and while he beats his man with speed most of the time he is pretty good at bull rushing also. Not to mention that he is just as good against the run as he is getting to the QB. There’s quite a number of plays where I see the play is away from his side and he chased down the play to be involved; that doesn’t say I take plays off and don’t hustle to me. I hope we pick this kid if he is there when we are on the clock. The only time I would hesitate if Werner is on the board when we are picking is if Warmack or Cooper is on the board then I would have to think about it because I think protecting Eli in the stretch run of his career is more important than adding a DE.

Give Eli a clean pocket and he will make every throw and if Eli have time there is no DB out there that can cover Cruz and Nicks.

I’d really like to come out of this draft with two really promising offensive linemen, a potentially strong defensive tackle, and a quality cornerback. The rest, for me, is gravy, but I trust Reese and the draft room. I’m looking past this season just as I did in 2007 when I said the Giants were going to have a good chance to win a ring over the next few years. Should the Giants win in 2013 it will probably be on the strength of Eli and his receivers, and David Wilson, and an “adequate defense and adequate O-line”. But to really be in the hunt the guys in the trenches have to be better than what we’ve had, and I think we have to be focused on that in this draft so we can be there in 2014.

If the team thinks any of these passrushers can be elite players then I hope they also get one of them. I’m not so convinced any of them are that, but I hope to have my eyes opened to that by some of the real draftniks around here over the next few weeks.

On the other hand, I am just about certain that there is a LOT of talent available along the offensive line (much deeper draft class than usual there), at defensive tackle (a lot of players with tremendous upside), and in the defensive backfield (perhaps no Neon Deion or Ed Reed, but a lot of very good players who would improve what the Giants now have). I certainly want Jerry Reese to be trolling there.

Remember the “new” winning formula in the NFL thanks to the Competition Committee and Fantasy Football: excellent scoring offense + strong kicking game + a defense that can make just enough critical stops late in games while getting a significant number of turnovers over the course of the season = lots of wins. If you can add to that a relatively stout defense, especially one that can rush the quarterback into mistakes (which requires stopping the run first, especially up the gut of the defense), you have a great shot at a ring. I think the Giants are within two drafts of having it all, within one of having the winning formula. And I trust our draft room.

I kind of think winning the SB has become more like winning the NCAA tourney for the top teams. You are not always going to win when you have your best team. The goal is the continually put yourself in position and one year things will break right. I believe Us, Bmore, Pitt and GB have followed a similar formula over the last 5-6 years. It’s ironic that the years we won SBs was probably not our best team, especially during the regular season. We got on a roll at the right time and were relatively healthy. My point being that we can’t overlook 2013 why for valid reasons you point to 2014 as probably being a better team. Though, I agree in this stretch our 2013 team doesn’t look to be the best it might have the best offense we have seen under Eli and that gives us a chance.

I agree on the pass rushers. The only ones that appear like they could be elite are Ansah and Tank. The other players are more 3-4 LB types.

5.  MentalHockey says:

Someone in the forums on the Giants website said he has a friend in the scouting department who indicated the Giatns are really into Xavier Rhodes. Obviously it isn’t a reputable source so take it however you please. Personally, I would love the pick but Dirt (was it Dirt?) is correct when he says Rhodes doesn’t seem suited for Fewell’s scheme.

•  norm says:

Wouldn’t be the first time that Reese fell in love with a player who was bad scheme fit here.

See: Sintim, Clint or Beckum, Travis.

•  F0XLIN says:

But it would be the first time he fell in love with someone in the first who didn’t fit

Players are not just in final form. Maybe now his strength is not playing zone. But our scouts just might feel he displays enough skills that he could become really could playing zone and/ or man as he gets more training.

Just because a player doesn’t do something well today doesn’t mean it can’t be a strength tomorrow.

•  norm says:

Yeah, but players who are drafted in the hopes that they can be taught to do something they’ve never successfully done before are usually called “projects.”

And, as a general rule. it’s not a good idea to take projects in the first round.

Unless you see elite talent as JPP was in the first round. I’m not saying Rhodes is JPP talent wise or he can definitely play our system because I don’t know. But I have faith that if JR drafts him at 19 he can play in our system. JR still hasn’t made a first round mistake.

•  MentalHockey says:

Yeah. Maybe Reese has too much faith in the coordinators. Or maybe he has too much faith in the players.

Reese seems to favor these CBs who are better at press man coverage. Fewell seems to favor guys who play off the receiver and are better suited to zone coverage. You got a guy drafting square pegs and a guy employing a scheme with circle holes. Sooner or later, one of these guys is gonna have to switch it up so both of them either have all squares or all circles.

6.  MentalHockey says:

Remember when Reese used to draft late-round project QBs with the intent to groom them into either suitable back-ups to Eli or trade bait? Can anyone see him doing the same thing withat that QB from Duke, Sean Renfree? He was coached by the same guy who helped coach up Eli and Peyton. I know his stats aren’t the greatest but the kid does seem to have some talent. Could be possible with our sixth or seventh.

Interesting draft thoughts from a mock draft pick for the Giants at 19:

For me, regardless of the perceived lower value of a guard, that player is Cooper. Again and again when I looked over big boards and player rankings Cooper was the highest-rated player available. Consistently higher than defensive end Bjoern Warner, cornerback Xavier Rhodes, offensive tackle D.J. Fluker, linebacker Arthur Brown and pretty much any other player you might want to consider here.

It proved impossible for me to pass on a player almost always ranked top 15 by analysts, and quite often top 10. A player for whom the words ‘freakishly athletic’ (a phrase that always catches the attention of Jerry Reese) and ‘Pro Bowl potential’ turned up over and over in scouting reports.

I know there is no obvious position for Cooper to play in 2013. When, however, has that mattered to the Giants? Was there an obvious spot for Mathias Kiwanuka when the Giants took him in 2006? For Jason Pierre-Paul in 2010? For Amukamara in 2011?

The reality is that the Giants don’t draft players counting on them to make huge impacts as rookies, anyway, although Cooper is apparently capable of being a plug-and-play starter at either guard spot. The Giants, rightly, draft players for the long-term, for what they can bring to the franchise over a period of years. Cooper, who could even move to center at some point, is — for me — the best offensive or defensive lineman available at this point in our mock. With Chris Snee getting older, Boothe signed for only a year and David Baas being a good but not great center, Cooper could end up anchoring the middle of the line for years to come, like Snee has done since 2004.

Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State. Yes, the Giants love their defensive ends and Werner is a guy many thought would go earlier than this. I have just never been able to get excited about the guy. I don’t see him as having the length or physical gifts that the Giants love, even if NFL.com somehow compares him to Umenyiora — which I can’t see. I could see the Giants selecting Werner, and if they did I wouldn’t bash the selection. I just can’t get fired up about the guy.

Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State. Truth be told, if I hadn’t talked myself into Cooper, then out of Cooper, then back into Cooper, Rhodes is one of the two players I would considered. He has the size at 6-foot-1, 210 pounds that the Giants love and the ability to press cover. The only red flag for me is that Perry Fewell stubbornly loves his zone coverage schemes, and that is not what Rhodes does best. Still, he would be an excellent pick here.

Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State. Kadar tried, and tried, and tried some more recently to make me feel the love for Brown in the first round. He might have succeeded, too, if the Giants had not added Dan Connor and re-signed Keith Rivers. That said, if Brown slides to the 49th pick he would be very, very difficult to pass up.

D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama. Another admission here. I have always considered Fluker a more likely candidate to be the Giants’ pick at No. 19 than many here at Big Blue View. I still do, and he is the other player I would have strongly considered if I had not chosen Cooper. If the Giants look at what they have accomplished in free agency and say, ‘right tackle is the spot we haven’t addressed,’ Fluker could well be the guy. And I for one wouldn’t complain. I could easily have talked myself into Fluker here, and you can make the argument he’s a better right tackle than David Diehl or James Brewer. In this case, though, I just see Cooper as having a higher ceiling. If you want to argue that is cancelled out by Fluker’s positional value, that is valid. It just wasn’t the way I decided to go.

Warmack, Carradine, Jones, Ogletree, Vaccaro and Richardson were off the board.

•  Dan Peterson says:

I like Trufant better than Rhodes. Seems like a better mind for the game and probably better instincts.

As for Cooper, I’m torn over he and Warmack. Cooper fits us a little better since he’s a fantastic run blocker, but Warmack is a phenom.

I like Rhodes. I like Trufant. I’ve said all along I’d take either. But Cooper or Fluker or Warmack would suit me just fine.

I really do NOT want Werner. Perhaps the games I saw him play were not typical, but I don’t see him as a better prospect than Ojomo (flame-suit on). And I’m hoping our defensive ends for the next few years start with JPP and Kiwi (unless Tuck renews his dedication and starts playing the football he seems capable of when he feels like it). Werner might make sense if there weren’t some real studs sitting there at the same time. Cooper is certainly a stud. I think Rhodes and Trufant are too. Warmack too.

I don’t like Werner for basically the reasons he said. I think Werner is a better prospect than Ojomo because I think he has a higher floor but I’m not sure his upside is any better.

I’m still not for a guard but he made a good argument for Cooper. I think Cooper over Warmack because he can play Center. That gives us some flexibility going forward. In their mock situation I would pick Rhodes or Trufant. To get our 2nd rated CB at 19 seems like too much to pass up.

Fluker troubles me some only because it seems he can only one position. Playing RT only really limits the OL at the backup positions. That means we need a backup that can play LT and can’t slide Fluker over. A RT only seems like more of a 2nd-3rd round type pick than a 1st.

Pretty astute analysis. Is this guy an analyst or a fan who ought to be on Giants 101 instead?

•  JBeast says:

See my post above, I just wrote that Warmack or Cooper are the guys I would take ahead of Werner. I do like Barrett in the third I’m hoping he slides based on his injury concern that’s popped up. Getting Cooper and then Barrett in the third would be awesome the 2014 OL would look great. Getting a guy like banks or Wrey-Wilson in the second and Bostic in the 4 th would really solidify this draft esp if we move Kiwi back to DE. So it would be:
      1. Cooper
      2. Banks
      3. Barrett
      4. Bostic

8.  kujo says:

Again, if we were to draft an interior lineman at 19–which I neither predict or support, at this time–Demo will be ridden like one of those mechanical bulls at dumpy country-themed bars near your local university. It will be epic stuff, befitting the beginning of the 10th year of Giants 101′s existence!

9.  norm says:

Well, I said back in January that the Giants would go interior OL at 19 (if there were no DE that they liked still on the board)

And that prediction was made before I even I knew the names of Warmack and Cooper.

Now that I’ve read a bit about each player, I’m ready to double down on my earlier prognostication. I will unequivocally say that Warmack or Cooper will be the pick if one or both is still on the board at 19.

And that pick would be completely in keeping with the point I’ve been hammering on all day: a true impact player in the first. As an old school football fan who continues to believe (perhaps foolishly in today’s NFL) that games are ultimately won or lost in the trenches, I very much think that a stud O-lineman could be an impact player in a way that a very good but non shutdown CB never could. Yes, even an O-lineman at as unsexy a position as guard.

Call me crazy, but when I think of what an uber-athletic guard who can routinely get into the second level of a defense could do when playing in front of David Wilson, it makes me far more excited than the prospect of a corner who gets burned on “only” 40% of the passes thrown in his direction.

You know I’m the King of “Build the Core” and I fully believe that games are won and lost in the trenches. I also agree that Cooper or Warmack would be at least as valuable as any corner in this draft, including Milliner. But you’re making this almost a teleological argument (“From where does a winning team come?”).

Yes, Wilson and Brown running behind a great guard would allow the Giants to get back to the balanced attack that is well-nigh unstoppable with Eli in his prime and receivers who are outstanding. Great value there. I’d love it.

But a top corner (say one who gets beaten only 25-30% of the time, but only 10% of the time in the Red Zone) can make two or three plays in a game that turn its course, and thereby turn the season. In 2011 ONE PLAY, by Victor Cruz, was arguably the key to the team winning a championship. In 2007 ONE PLAY, Eli’s escape followed by the helmet catch was the key to winning a ring. In the 2011 Super Bowl one throw-and-catch from Eli to Manningham led to the win. Those were all plays by skill players. That takes nothing away from the guys in the trenches. Without them the skill players cannot demonstrate their skills. But in the NFL corners are in position to make that one play (ask Peyton Manning about that) that turns a game, and that’s one of the reasons they are paid so much, and one of the reasons that if you can get one who is really good in the draft you can save a ton of money by doing so rather than having to go into free agency to get him.

I’d have zero issue with a guard or tackle being taken at #19. But if we take a corner I will neither be unhappy, nor surprised.

Well, let me just repeat that I think Cruz would be nuts NOT to sign with us at this point, that Will Hill is going to play a significant role on defense this season, and that Adewale Ojomo is going to be good, perhaps VERY good.

What do they all have in common? Jerry Reese and the personnel department grabbed each of them off the scrap heap when no one else wanted them. If these three work out (and while I’m at it, add Andre Brown who was a man without a team when the Giants grabbed him this time around) then in just a few years Jerry Reese will have found some awfully good young players without even having to draft them (okay, he DID draft Brown, but then he was able to get him back without wasting a pick). Each of these guys could be building blocks in a championship team, and Reese got them for practically nothing. Lots of GMs get fill-ins who can get a job done, but Reese has put together a group that could conceivably all become really top players. Cruz already is that. Hill is, IMO, at most a year away. We’ll see about Ojomo pretty soon. And Brown is a back any team in the NFL should want at this point as a part of a tandem of lead backs.

Pretty impressive.