New York Giants’ Shaun Rogers Has $500K in Jewelry Stolen from Miami Hotel

March 26th, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Defensive tackle Shaun Rogers recently re-signed with the New York Giants, agreeing to a one-year, $940,000 split contract. Unfortunately for him, more than half of that is already gone after having approximately $500,000 in jewelry stolen out of his Miami hotel room over the weekend.

CBS Miami reports that he and his friends were partying at a Miami Beach nightclub when they met a young lady who later returned with him to his room at approximately 7:00 AM EST. When he awoke at 12:30 PM EST, Rogers noticed that the lady had taken off and his jewelry, which he had put in a hotel safe, went with her.

Items stolen included a pair of diamond earrings valued at $100,000, two watches valued at a combined $160,000, a gold necklace with gold pendant valued at $50,000, two gold bracelets valued at $60,000 and a diamond Cuban necklace with a gold pendant valued at $70,000.

Rogers spent the 2012 season on Injured Reserve (IR) after suffering from blood clots.

Tags: Football, Miami, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Shaun Rogers

47 Responses to “New York Giants’ Shaun Rogers Has $500K in Jewelry Stolen from Miami Hotel”

Repost:

Dan Benton says:
    March 26, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    Unless they sign/draft a starting linebacker, I still don’t see the sense in it. With Rivers injury prone and J-Will still lacking significant experience, they are very thin at LB across the board. Why make it thinner to beef up reserve DEs?

A “reserve DE” is going to play as many snaps as Kiwi would play against most teams maybe more. Tuck still seems like a 40 snap guy even if he’s back to being himself and JJP more like a 50 snap guy. The average defensive snaps are somewhere around 65 so that still leaves 40 snaps still available at DE. Then there are still the 3rd down looks that will have 3 DEs though I don’t think we will see as many 4 DE sets with Jenkins aboard and Austin hopefully developing. Still I think Kiwi sees snaps as a short yardage SLB.

In addition, I think Kiwi is just an average SLB but a good DE so it’s much easier and cheap to replace Kiwi’s production at SLB than to replace him at DE. I think it’s an easy call to move him to DE. There are still LBs available like Daryl Smith and Justin Durant that we could sign fairly cheaply if we were that concerned about SLB. Plus we still have the draft.

Lastly, the core of this defense is still the DL and Kiwi helps strengthen our most important area. We need our DL to be elite, we just need our LBs to be average.

2.  BillyS says:

While I do feel bad that his stuff was stolen…why the hell would a person need $500k in freaking jewelry?? $100k for earrings? 2 watches for $160k? Talk about a waste of money. That’s the equivalent of the salary total of a couple of families, and it’s being spent on jewelry. I think it’s a total waste of money when these players buy jewelry to show off. I do hope he gets his stuff back, since it was his property, and hope they catch whoever robbed him.

3.  demo3356 says:

I’ve been saying since the season Ended that Kiwi was going back to DE.. Guy is a very Good DE, only an average to mediocre LB in today’s flag football pass happy NFL.We just discussed this on FB two days ago. Kiwi will play DE along with Tuck and JPP while Tuck wil take some snaps on passing downs at DT. We will bring in another LB or two. This argument that we dont have much at LB means nothing as far as Kiwi is concerned. We only use 2 or 1 LB on over 65% of our defensive snaps.. This isnt the 80′s or 90′s where you have 3 LB’s on the field all game..

4.  BigBlueGiant says:

Well, that’s what you get when you have 500k in jewelery laying around a hotel room. Moron.

5.  kinsho says:

Homie’s not gonna be looking sparkly at the club anytime soon. That’s good. Maybe he’ll get back to training for football now.

March 26, 2013 at 9:34 AM

If Kiwi plays SAM he’s a two-down linebacker, at best. I suspect we’ll see even more three-safety looks in 2013 than we did previously, so in many series Kiwi would be a one-down linebacker. If he plays DE then his snaps will depend upon how well Tuck comes back from two lousy seasons. If Tuck becomes “himself” in a contract year then Kiwi is going to only get about a third or a fourth of the defensive snaps as he subs for Tuck and JPP. If, on the other hand, Tuck is the Tuck of 2011-2012 then Kiwi should eventually displace him as the starter at DE.

But the odds are that either way Mathias Kiwanuka would not be best utilized in this defense.

The only way he becomes best used is if Fewell wakes up and starts making use of both Kiwi and JPP by allowing each to move around and stand at the LOS so the offense cannot easily get their blocking assignments and Kiwi can then either drop back a step to play as the SAM or rush the QB directly or by looping into gaps in the blocking scheme. Kiwi is too good a player to be used as little as he might be in 2013. When you have a talent like his it is the job of the coaches to find a way to use that talent as frequently as possible. To date, Coughlin and Fewell have not done so.

Hell, if they can’t figure anything else out give the guy a shot at playing MIKE on occasion. Why not? He is certainly smart enough to call the defense and read the offense. This is a guy who they need to have on the field as frequently as possible. The coaches are failing him and the team by not getting that done. The fact that they had Kiwanuka sitting on the sideline a lot last season while Chase Blackburn, Rocky Bernard, and Justin Tuck were taking plenty of his snaps was a disgrace.

As for the Rogers bling, it’s probably a better investment than half of the stupid stuff these players buy (fast cars that are worth 50% of what they paid the second they drive them off the lot; houses for their mothers that are five times as big as needed; “investments” in clubs and bars that turn out to have some association with their agents and managers; etc.). But they ought to put it in a vault that isn’t available to some bimbo they pick up at a club. I hope he had the stuff insured. And I hope they find the girl and lock her up. Those clubs in Miami are filled with plenty of “available” women who would cut you up if they think they can get away with it.

Last week I was in one of the “better” ones dancing, with my wife, and a gorgeous 20-something approached me asking if I wanted to buy her a drink. Understand, I was dancing with my wife at the time. I mentioned that and her response was “Usually you guys come here to get away from your wives. Look for me when you’re in the mood.” Of course she was interested in my beyond-60-year-old-looks. Or maybe my sterling personality. You don’t think so? Well, at least give her some credit for brazenness. And I’ll bet Shaun Rogers made the mistake of thinking that he was anything but a mark for that woman who he now wishes he never met. I feel sorry for the guy, but mostly because he must be pretty naive.

•  kujo says:

I see you picked up a few new erotic yoga moves while visiting our Sunshine State

Hmm, well I didn’t, but I’ll bet the bimbo had some. Don’t think I didn’t try to tell my wife I still “had it”, to which she just laughed for about 30 seconds. Gathered herself. Laughed again. She told my kids the next day and then they all laughed. I don’t see what’s so funny.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

LOL. Oh boy FF55, you little stud you! Working girls approach you while you’re on the floor with your wife. Nice job, buddy!!!! Still got it playa!

But yeah, if Rogers didnt have any of his 500k jewelery insured than he’s a bigger moron than we thought. Next thing you know you’ll see someone walking into Gold and Silver Pawn in Las Vegas trying to get the Pawn Stars to slobber over a 50k gold chain that will be melted down and worth 45 times more to them!

I’m sure I looked like the perfect mark. Probably figured I hadn’t had a good romp in 20 years so would would be ripe for the picking. Also, what was an “old dude” doing in that club if not looking for what she was selling? Frankly, it was my wife’s idea to even go there. At 1:00 AM I just wanted to go to sleep.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

LOL! I hear ya.

That’s really cool that you two do those things. Sounds a lot like my folks as well!

•  Dan Peterson says:

Please tell me what song you danced to. In my mind you were “getting low.”

8.  norm says:

If nothing else, this should provide Rogers with some added incentive to make the team.

If he wants to replace his pilfered baubles, he will need more than half of the $940,000 he’s scheduled to make this year.

If some missing jewelry results in an angrier, more motivated Shaun Rogers in 2013, then we can go ahead and file its theft under the “Blessing in disguise” heading.

9.  Hanshi says:

Well, I hope she was good. That’s an expensive piece of A.

10.  wrdag says:

Having worked with athletes for many years and their money, I am shocked by this whole story. What your telling me is that an athlete with a very limited opportunity to make serious cash in a business where his career can end in a heart beat spent 500m post tax dollars ( pretty close to a million in pre-tax salary) on gold jewelery. He then then left 500m of said jewelry out in the open in his hotel with a strange girl in the room. Again this is shocking because instead of stealing the jeweley I would have thought the girl would have slept with him, got pregnant and then get him on child-support for the rest of his life. Shaun Rogers really dodged a bullet, lucky dog!!

LOL. And probably right on the mark.

•  TheCatch says:

In June 2007, Rogers was accused of sexually assaulting an exotic dancer.[9][10] Charges were never filed due to lack of evidence.[11]

On April 1, 2010, Rogers was arrested at Cleveland Hopkins Airport for having a loaded gun in his carry on luggage

TIME TO WAKE-UP SHAUN!!!