March 25th, 2013 at 6:30 AM
By Doug Rush

Ever since the New York Giants were eliminated from playoff contention in Week 17, everyone has been getting their wish lists for 2013 prepared – especially for the NFL Draft, which will take place in about a month in New York City at Radio City Music Hall.

Giants fans have had three months to pick what position the Giants and general manager Jerry Reese need to address. Most will tell you offensive line, linebacker and cornerback; which were weaknesses in 2012. However, according to a couple of the latest mock drafts, none of those three positions are being addressed by the Giants.

A lot of mock drafts are having the Giants replenishing the defensive line and their pass rush at No. 19. And several pick experts are going with is Bjoern Werner, defensive end from Florida State.

With the expected departure of Osi Umenyiora to the Atlanta Falcons, and Justin Tuck in a make-or-break season in 2013, it honestly would not be that shocking if the Giants decided to skip obvious team needs and drafted the best available player when their turn comes.

Reese did it in 2010 when he took Jason Pierre -aul, a move many fans criticized because the team already had Osi and Tuck. And you can even say he did it again in 2012 when he drafted David Wilson when the team already had Ahmad Bradshaw on the roster.

Werner is a 6'3", 275-pound lineman who has a great first step and has good anticipation skills as far as finding the football and chasing down plays. While at Florida State, some felt that Werner might take a play off on occasion, and even some said he might not be engaged on the field if the play is away from him.

With Giants head coach Tom Coughlin, along with the veterans the team has, that characteristic trait would be squashed immediately because Coughlin demands perfection and discipline from his players all the time. Coughlin would call Werner out on that if he saw it on the field in practice or in training camp, and it would be for Werner's benefit.

He also might not be the best pure athlete out there in the draft, but his skills set and what Werner can offer to a defense like the Giants would be enough for Reese to draft him. He tackles well and hardly ever misses, something the Giants struggled with in 2012. One too many missed tackles allowed either running backs or receivers second chance opportunities to stretch plays for big gains against the Giants and in the end, hurt them.

Werner also uses his speed at end to get by offensive lineman to get to the quarterback, totaling 20 sacks over the last two seasons for the Seminoles; 13 of them came in 2012.

With a month until the Giants are on the clock in April, don't be surprised for one minute if the Giants end up taking the former German exchange student with their first round pick.

Tags: Bjoern Werner, Football, Jerry Reese, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora, Tom Coughlin

6 Responses to “New York Giants: Bjoern Werner Being Projected as Potential First-Round Target in 2013 NFL Draft”

Stranger things have happened … but it seems like a awfully deep drop for a guy who was talked about as a top-5 pick not that long ago.

2.  Chad Eldred says:

This wouldn’t be the worst case scenario, that’s for sure. Would love to have Werner.

3.  kujo says:

Never heard any of this “takes plays off” and “not engaged” stuff, and I watch a good amount of FSU football.

•  Samardzija says:

He did as a sophomore when he was actually playing at 275. Pretty sure he trimmed down before the season and played at a much lower weight

4.  SalsaForAll says:

Long time reader, first time poster. I have to say that I’d be pretty stoked to have Werner with us. I went to FSU and have watched a lot of this kid. He has a none stop motor, nice moves getting around defenders, and my god is he fast. I remember him tipping a pass after busting through a double team at the line, catching the tip, and running it into the endzone. Man would I love to see him do that in a Giants uniform.

5.  BillyS says:

I would be thrilled with Bjeorn. I think he would fit so well with this team. My one real negative thing against him is sometimes he does seem to get around the edge a little too much and he’ll need to switch between edge rushing and bull rushing more in the NFL. He does, however, have the strength to be effective with the latter. And he was also obviously able to put up good numbers using the former. So he has all the tools to succeed. He also has very good instincts and does something that I personally like — he puts his arms up! One thing I can’t stand about teams we play is when they get their hands up and bat passes down from Eli. Then our guys would get their chance and not even put an arm up. I hate that. If you can’t get to the QB then at least put your arms up to make it a little harder on the QB. Werner did that a lot and I can see where the JJ Watt comparisons come from. He isn’t JJ Watt, but he does seem to have that same flare for batting down passes. Just like I can see some Osi in the way he gets around the edge.

Werner is a very, very solid prospect and if we could land him where we are…yeah, I’ll be thrilled. I don’t think he’s a top 5 talent, but I do think he’s the most complete 4-3 DE in the draft. I don’t think he’s quick enough in the open field to play with his hand up, so 3-4 teams will most likely back off…though if he did add some weight maybe they could have interest in him. I think the Giants are a perfect match for him and vice versa. Whether or not he falls to them is another story.