March 22nd, 2013 at 9:30 AM

While appearing at a "Shrink Hunger" charity event in Harlem on Thursday, New York Giants running back David Wilson revealed that he underwent successful offseason surgery to remove a bone spur in his in his palm. And although he was sporting stitches that stretched from his palm to his wrist, he insists the injury is not serious and won't cause him to miss any time.

"It happened awhile ago," Wilson told the New York Daily News. "I didn't want to do it, like, before the season. But it was already chipped. So (they) just take it out so it won't be floating around."

In addition to addressing the surgery and expressing his desire to remain the team's kick returner in 2013, Wilson also discussed the NFL's new "crown of the helmet" rule, calling it "stupid."

“It’s stupid. Runners, when you run, you’re automatically tilted. Even a track runner, when they cross the finish line, the first thing there is their head. . . . It’s a stupid rule," he said.

Wilson's opinion of the new rule falls in line with most other NFL athletes and nearly every single running back the league over. Chicago Bears running back Matt Forte has already spoken out against the rule and gone as far as setting up a separate bank account for fines that he's sure to receive as a result of this change. He calls it his "lowering the boom" fund.

"Wow so they really passed that rule…last time I checked football was a contact sport. Calling bank now to set up my lowering the boom fund," Forte tweeted.

Wilson recently sat down with Ebenezer Samuel of the New York Daily News to watch a six-minute highlight video from 2012, and at least three of his runs made him concerned over the new rule.

"I'm one of the examples of 'Don't do this.' Charles [Way] was like 'Congratulations, you're on the technique tape.' So I know I've got to do some work now," Wilson said.

Slated to compete for the starting job with Andre Brown, both backs have some serious adjustments to make in order to avoid fines and 15-yard penalties in 2013.

Tags: Andre Brown, Chicago, Chicago Bears, David Wilson, Football, Matt Forte, New York, New York Giants, NFL

16 Responses to “New York Giants’ David Wilson Had Minor Hand Surgery; Calls Crown of Helmet Rule “Stupid””

Don’t draw attention to yourself please. The refs can read you know.

2.  demo3356 says:

Attention- The role of resident window licker formerly held by Mario Mannigham will now be played by David Wilson… Now back to regularly scheduled program

3.  demo3356 says:

I think folks around here have been way too hard on Snee lately. Guy has been one of the premier Guards in the NFL for the better part of the last decade. He has had a down year or two due to injury but is still considered an elite Guard by most. Whining about his salary or cap hit does not make much sense. I bet he bounces back with a big year this season. If not the Grim Reaper Reese will pay him a visit next off season. I’m still not sure Diehl is safe. Its sweet that David offered to restructure to keep Cruz, but I’m thinking at some point after either Boothe re signs or the draft David will get a Call from JR to come to his office and will leave with either a MUCH smaller salary or his crap packed up as he waves goodbye to NYG. He’s just hanging around now as insurance for Boothe and Snee’s health / recovery.. Guy has about as much job security as a blockbuster video store manager..

Stop stealing my material.

•  demo3356 says:

scary as it sounds we’ve been on the same page a lot lately.. I’m enjoying this level headed optimistic Krow so much more than thee sky is falling Stoll sidekick from a few years ago..

You’ve changed … for the better. But there’s little hope for kujo.

•  demo3356 says:

ha! I’m the same obnoxious ****, football genius I’ve always been. As for Kujo we just have to lower our expectations a little

4.  kinsho says:

Ah, David Wilson…clearly the team’s resident Rhodes Scholar.

In all seriousness, I do love the kid.

If I were Diehl … I’d have my agent offer a 3 year deal … $6 mil. In other words offer them reasonable veteran depth … if they make it 3 years. Try to score something attainable.

6.  BillyS says:

I love Wilson’s potential, but for crying out loud SHUT UP. He is giving the impression that he loves to talk. I just hate when players get too carried away with it. Osi was kind of like that with his ‘smack talking’. At least the Black Unicorn was goofy and couldn’t be taken seriously…this is just getting annoying.

7.  norm says:

Krow says:
    March 22, 2013 at 9:01 AM
    I wish we had some sort of indication how Brewer is doing. There’s almost zero buzz on him.

********

You’d have an easier time learning the nuclear launch codes than you would learning what the Giants brass really thinks about Brewer.

On the list of the world’s most closely guarded secrets, the progress report on James Brewer is at or near the top.

•  BillyS says:

I’m actually glad we aren’t hearing tons about him right now. No news is good news and most of the time when GMs and coaches hype up a player it’s just that…hype. So there’s a possibility that they really do like what they see, although there’s also a chance he falls flat on his face. It’s kind of refreshing with them being so hush hush about it though because I hate getting my hopes up with how terrific a player looks only for them to suck in reality.

8.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

A lot of good articles this morning! Great reads!

I will agree with what Demo said; I think Snee could possibly be in for a bounce back year. At least I hope so. Only time will tell, but I do think next season will probably be his last as a Giant.

Unlike some who mention that JR and company never take an OL high in the draft with the exception of Beatty, I think that the writing is on the wall this season. Paul Dottino has been name dropping DJ Fluker all offseason and on Giants.com when asked who the starting RT will be this season Michael Eisen said “Brewer has not shown enough to warrant starting…so I would have to say, right now, David Diehl…but that will most likely change” with a sort of a laugh. Much like last year when everyone was saying we wouldn’t take a RB in the first round, I believe that depending on who is actually sitting there at 19, it’s a very realistic possibility that we take an OL, in particular a guy like Fluker. The thing about this draft in regards to interior linemen is that outside of Warmack and Cooper, both of who are sure fire first rounders, there is LOTS of quality depth all the way through probably the 5th round or so – more so than any draft in recent memory. I would not be surprised to see 2-3 OL taken this year in the draft to go ahead and begin the process of grooming them behind the guys that are starting now, many of whom don’t figure to have many years left and are in the 30+ club.

•  rlhjr says:

Given the Giants tendency to “develop” OL players, the depth you speak of still leaves the door open for a DT/LB/DB with the first pick.

Many projections have Barrett Jones lasting well into the second round, and the youngster Mady from Youngstown State could last until the fourth.

At 6-2 317 he might one day soon be a bully. Low center of gravity plus power a bigger version of Larry Little.

Reese could well have his defensive cake and eat it too. With the knowledge that he can use every other pick (2 and 4) to possibly land an offensive lineman who can be groomed to play next year for sure and this year in a pinch.

•  KingAndrewXXIII says:

I would absolutely LOVE to grab Barrett Jones with our second round pick. I just am really skeptical about him being there by the time we pick given his ability to play every position on the OL and coming out of a program like Bama. I need to read more on the kid from Youngstown, but in no particular order I really like Fluker, Jones, Long, Winters, Frederick, Warford, Armstead and Pugh. A lot of those guys will fly off the boards in the 2-3 rounds though.

Not back home yet but was able to catch up on the free agency moves. Really like them a lot.

Love the Murphy signing. Gives us a field-spreader who should make not only Nicks and Cruz absolutely deadly, but also creates space for the tight ends and allows Wilson to catch the ball with the safeties deep enough to have to make a tough play on him if he hits the open field. I really liked this guy at Florida and don’t understand why he wasn’t tremendously successful at Oakland. Just glad we got him.

I said right at the end of last season that our biggest need was defensive tackles and suggested that Reese bring Rogers back. Good move there, but the Jenkins signing is brilliant. Yeah, he’s not what he once was, but what he remains is a DT who can threaten the quarterback. That means blocking schemes have to account for the middle of the Giants’ defense which was NOT the case in 2012. Our defensive ends are going to love the exchange of Jenkins for Canty (a space-eater but not really a rushing threat).

Of course, if Reese can manage to keep Beatty and Cruz in a single off-season that would be enough to make a GM’s year by itself. And I’ll go on record as saying the sleeper move of the month was getting Rivers at the cheap price. I think that will pay great dividends.

I don’t know what to expect from Myers and Connor, but it sounds like they both came cheap and will provide serious competition for our young players to have to push aside in camp. No doubt Connor is better than Chase, but I still think the brass want Herzlich to win the job. And I’ll bet Mike Pope is busy telling Robinson he ha a chance to win part of a two-tight-end set that they will want to use plenty this season.

Perhaps most important, Jerry Reese set himself up for the draft by covering the glaring needs that opened up on the team. I think we still need more strength at DT and at cornerback but for the most part Reese can now really focus on bringing in impact players at whatever position they play. That’s where you want to be going into the draft.

Two last thoughts.

I am pretty sure we’re okay on the offensive line (assuming that Boothe is going to stay…he’d be nuts to leave over a gross difference of $500,000 when that translates into closer to $250,000 after fees and taxes and he could secure a long-time role with the Giants akin to what Rich Seubert had so the team stays very loyal to him). Beatty will be better. I think Boothe stays. I have no worries about a healthy Baas. Snee will be far better than last season, which is more than good enough. And if Brewer isn’t ready (I don’t know why he wouldn’t be given his size and athleticism and two years of Flaherty’s tutorials) they’ll grab a post-draft free agent or draft a guy who they think could step in immediately at RT. By “okay” on the offensive line I mean “good enough that the O-line needn’t be the draft priority” which means you take an O-lineman only if he is the highest player on the board, which could well be the case come #19).

Second, I am REALLY sorry to see things go this way for Kenny Phillips. Bennett got his money, and good luck to him. But obviously we jettisoned KP because of his knees, and that probably means he’s close to done. He’s a good kid who was born to play football, and was headed for a great career. He may never see a real payday now and that would be sad. Not a complete tragedy. These young players still make a lot more than their peers even on their rookie deals, but in Phillips’ case he will be “paying” for playing the game for the rest of his life, probably requiring a knee replacement while plenty of his age cohort are out on the tennis courts and golf course. The NFL can be very cruel. Never resent any player (ie. Osi) for trying to maximize his pay. It can all end in an instant.