Madden 25 Cover Tournament: Michael Strahan Moves on, Victor Cruz Eliminated

March 21st, 2013 at 5:42 PM
By Doug Rush

The competition for the cover of Madden 25 has a bit of March Madness attached to it. Instead of just current players that the fans get to vote on, EA Sports has added in a legends bracket for to vote on as well.

The retired players are considered the "Old School" bracket, while the current players are the "New School" bracket.

The New York Giants have two players representing the team: Michael Strahan and Victor Cruz.

With the theme of March Madness, Strahan and Cruz were each given seeds in their respective brackets and paired off against another player. For Cruz as the No. 11 seed, he took on Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller, who was the No. 6 seed.

Miller won the voting 51 percent to 49, thus eliminating the Giants wide receiver from the Madden tournament.

On the other side, the former Giants defensive end Strahan was the No. 5 seed and faced off against No. 12 seed and former Green Bay Packer wide receiver Sterling Sharpe.

Strahan won the voting 69 percent to 31, and will move on to face No. 4 seed and former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner.

Ironically, Strahan was a teammate of Warner's when they were both on the Giants in the 2004 season.

Fans can continue to vote for their favorites on EAsports.com and the winner of the tournament will be announced on April 24.

No New York Giants player has ever graced the cover of the video game since EA Sports started putting players on it initially in 2001, when Eddie George of the Tennessee Titans was the first player to be on it.

Tags: Football, Kurt Warner, Michael Strahan, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Victor Cruz

10 Responses to “Madden 25 Cover Tournament: Michael Strahan Moves on, Victor Cruz Eliminated”

1.  Dirt says:

Ahh that’s terrible. Rooting for Romo now.

2.  rlhjr says:

“He didn’t play as well as the year before. He was bit (overweight) when he came to camp,” he said. “There’s not a lot of body fat (on Pierre-Paul), yes, but still…”

Kujo and GOAT56, thanks for the shout out……………..

Some reports were ‘Coughlin Rips JPP’. How puzzified have we become when what he said is ‘ripping’? I’d bet Manti Te’o would say, “that’s soooo geh”. Maybe everyone needs a dunk in the ice tub.

•  kujo says:

Rips, slams, attacks, destroys…all hyper-inflated rhetoric inflamed by our culture’s need to exaggerate. I love Louis CK’s take on it–we can’t just be “hungry” because we are “starving.” It isn’t “funny” because it’s “hilarious,” a word meaning to literally lose your sanity out of elation and manic behavior.

3.  BillyS says:

I think people are blowing his comments out of proportion. He didn’t say JPP was out of shape or anything; he merely said that he played at a slightly heavier weight than the year before (aka he was trying to add muscle to be more effective and it didn’t work). It’s just another example of the media making a mountain out of a mole hill. Then again they obviously showed how they had no stories when they started asking David Wilson all of those dumb questions earlier. I guess you don’t need to be that smart to be a ‘journalist’ now-a-days, for the most part (since there are some credible ones out there, but the bad ones are making them look bad as a whole).

It’s rlhjr was ranting about numerous times during the season. TC’s comments make him correct that JPP was too heavy. It doesn’t matter if it’s fat or muscle, these are athletes. And maybe it’s not the only reason he wasn’t the same as 2011 but it’s likely a factor.

4.  Dirt says:

JPP sucked last year. I don’t get it. He wasn’t doubled often – anyone who tells you he was is a homer. I fear it’s a hunger issue, having reached the top of the mountain so early – I hope I’m wrong. But I don’t have any other theories.

5.  kujo says:

@TomRock_Newsday: David Diehl says he’d rework his contract to “keep a great teammate like Victor Cruz.” But Giants haven’t asked yet http://t.co/X7LlNkzC0z

6.  G-MenFan says:

The draft can’t get here soon enough.

I’m just going to keep poking my head in once every three days and write that when I see stuff like this.

•  kujo says:

Here here. I normally pull my hair out this time of year, staving off the pre-draft anxiety by gobbling up every mock draft and Big Board on the Internet. This year, the wedding prep, the job search and the effort to buy a house is making the waiting game far more tolerable. Still, draft weekend is sacrosanct and I already put my request in at work to be off for that weekend.