March 19th, 2013 at 10:30 AM
By Kyle Langan

'Jason Pierre-Paul' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ In a recent article addressing trends across the NFL in the National Football Post, author Dan Pompei dropped an interesting hint about a possible philosophical shift in the New York Giants defense in 2013.

Pompei stated that he had "heard" the Giants not only plan on using less of a defensive end rotation in 2013, but that Justin Tuck and Jason Pierre-Paul will switch sides.

It is expected that free agent Osi Umenyiora will not return to the Giants, so the team is planning to compensate by using its remaining pass rushers differently. Instead of playing a rotation in which three men split the snaps pretty evenly as the Giants did last year, I’m told Jason Pierre Paul and Justin Tuck will get the majority of the snaps. And Giants coaches don’t want the ends flipping sides as much. The early talk out of the Timex Performance Center is Pierre Paul may become a full-time left end, with Tuck concentrating on the right side.

Pierre-Paul registered merely 6.5 sacks in 2012, but proved to be a very effective edge defender against the run.

While teams did not have immense success running at Jason Pierre-Paul in 2012, the consistency with which teams were able to run the football against the Giants as a whole served only to wear down Pierre- Paul on pass- rushing downs.

By moving Pierre-Paul to the offensive right, it would force right tackles to deal with him full time. Generally right tackles are better run blockers and weaker pass blockers than left tackles. As for Justin Tuck, his pass rushing ability would be featured more, while he takes less of a beating on the defensive interior and in the run game.

Above all, this is the first step towards more simplicity on the defensive side of the football. The Giants had all types of communication problems in 2012 and their defensive "rotation" did not seem to yield the same rewards as in years past. Teams ran on pass rushing packages and passed against run blocking packages.

By putting the best players on the team in a position to succeed, on a full-time basis, teams may have a harder time picking and choosing what types of plays they want to run based on the personnel of the Giants.

This will be a situation worth monitoring the next several months.

Tags: Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora

27 Responses to “New York Giants Could Flip the Positions of Justin Tuck and Jason Pierre-Paul in 2013”

1.  GmenMania says:

Re-post:

So I was messing around on spotrac, trying to figure out just how much money comes off the books next season. It turns out, we are projected to have a ton of cap room next year. Tuck, Diehl, Cruz, Nicks, and the Browns all come off the books, leaving us with a lot more room. I did a couple of calculations, and figured out that’d all the base salaries for next year combined will be only somewhere around $85-90MM.

This, of course, doesn’t include signing bonuses, which will probably add another $15MM to that calculation. So that leaves us at about $100MM, which will be at least $20MM less than the projected salary cap. That leaves us with a lot of room to maneuver with Nicks and Cruz, as well as possibly resigning the Browns, and Linval. So I wouldn’t yet write off the possibility of keeping both Nicks and Cruz, as we will probably have the room next year to extend both

•  wlubake says:

Tuck coming off the books next year (and generally declining in production) leads me to think this team will seriously consider a big-bodied DE in the first 2 rounds in April. I am hoping for Margus Hunt, but he seems like a reach at 19 and looks to be gone by our 2nd round pick.

If we went DE/OG in the first two rounds, I’d be pretty happy. Hunt and Larry Warford would be great.

Keeping both Nicks and Cruz is not a matter of something we can’t do. It’s about if we feel like it’s fiscal responsible to keep both. And of course how much keeping both will cost.

JPP needs to be paid soon. Plus because we have a lot of players on 1 year deal and UFAs next year all those players have to be replaced. So the cap numbers aren’t as great as they appear now. Guys like Webster, Tuck, Joseph, Both Browns, Conner and Rivers are all free agents. I mentioned that group because as of today those players all look like 2013 starters plus Nicks and Cruz as of today. Replacing that many starters is costly. Some replacements are inhouse and some players could be re-signed but they will take up cap room.

2.  kujo says:

The day of constantly rotating guys in and out are thankfully over. Draft a DE in the 1st or 2nd that can take Tuck’s starting position in 2014, someone like JPP who is big and can do it all. Linebackers and corners can run in and out while the hosses and uglies duke it out full time.

This sounds reasonable. But it can’t work if Tuck is not close to a probowl player. Tuck is one on one against a LT and if he can’t win enough of his battles the pass rush will be ineffective. Against a RT JPP will probably almost always have the TE on his side. I think more the key is playing both less at DT. These are athletic guys and playing DT limits the space they have to use the athleticism. The rotation of players can hopefully be more effective if you are not trying the play your 3rd DE all of the backup snaps. Kiwi while I feel we need him at DE doesn’t need to play the snaps Osi played. I think we need to get Ojomo and/or Tracy in the game more. I look at Tollefson as our 4th DE in 2011 and I think he got a lot of sacks a pressures by just being the fresh guy that hustles like hell. Ojomo and/or Tracy can at least do that and maybe a lot more. Tuck probably needs a few less snaps as well.

• I agree on Tuck. And I think Jenkins can be a very good interior pass rushing presence that will help immensely.

We have missed that interior pass rush.

Canty had a great 2011 late run, but nothing compared to Tuck inside pre- injury.

It was time to find another solution and I think we did that.

I think Cofield was a solid presence as was Robbins. Basically we are hoping Jenkins can play Robbins like for us. Robbins wasn’t the player Jenkins has been thus far either.

4.  kujo says:

5 guys I’m interested in at #19:

Xavier Rhodes
    DJ Fluker
    Chance Warmack
    Bjoern Werner
    Kevin Minter

•  kujo says:

Dunno how Kevin Minter ended up in there. I meant to say Sheldon Richardson.

That’s funny because I was wondering. If you follow this draft, he clearly doesn’t belong with the others.

I’m not high on Werner. I think he’s a solid player but not a difference making DE to take over for Tuck long term. He doesn’t have bigtime athletic ability like the JPP, Tuck or Osi. At 19 if I’m pick a DE I want a player who can be as good as Tuck and Osi. Only Ansah and Carradine seem like possibly that type of DE in the first round IMO. The Hunt kid would be an intriguing second round pick that has way more upside than Werner. The 3rd-4th round level kid that looks appealing is Washington the UGA DE.

The KP mess and then the Mundy signing have me thinking that maybe safety is a possibly as well. Vaccaro is the probably only safety we could possibly like at 19.

•  wlubake says:

Another late round guy is Quanterus Smith from Western Kentucky. Dominated against his biggest challenge in ‘Bama.

• Werner is gonna slip I think. Question is how far. Im intrigued as to whether he reaches us.

•  Chad Eldred says:

I’m on board with Werner. I try not to get to “into” any one guy, it makes for a disappointing draft day, but I really like what he brings to the table. I could see him on the other side of JPP.

5.  norm says:

jfunk says:
    March 18, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Alright norm, you’re on. +/- 50? You sure?

norm says: Yeah. Why not?

jfunk says: He’s not gonna get the targets Bennett got though, especially while sharing snaps with Robinson.

norm says: Oh, I suspect you’re right. Given that Bennett frequently shared the field in 2012 with a gimpy Nicks, a double teamed Cruz, a thoroughly inept Pascoe, ff55′s BFF Barden, and “Luca Brasi” Randle he kinda became Eli’s best option purely by default.

Marty B. was in fact targeted a ridiculous 90 times last year, a number that Myers is unlikely to see. (BTW, Bennett’s 55 catch total looks a whole lot less impressive when considered in that context. A 61% reception rate is nothing to write home about)

However, it’s worth noting that the above linked list of TE targets also shows that Myers had a reception rate of 75%, best in the league for TEs targeted 50 times or more. If he can sustain that number in 2013, he won’t need the absurd number of targets that Bennett got in 2012. A much more reasonable 67 targets (at a 75% reception rate) gets him to 50.

So it’s on, mofo.

jfunk says: You may be letting a need for vengeance cloud your judgement.

norm says: Not so much my need for vengeance as my love of irony. Namely the irony of your confident predictions of Myers’ imminent failure as a Giant just one year after assuring all and sundry that Pope and Eli would magically transform the colossal bust known as Martellus Bennett into a mean, lean pass catching machine.

The irony of it all is just too delicious for me to ignore. Plus a follow up wager very much appeals to my sense of symmetry.

Same terms as last year. Myers catches 50 passes or more, I win. When that happens, you will have to post here a paean to my brilliance as if you were a typical ESPN commentator and I were RG3. I, of course, would have to do the same for you in the extremely unlikely event that I lose.

•  jfunk says:

My difference of opinion on the two is thus:

Bennett was only a “bust” in Dallas in so far as he failed to catch lots of passes. He was a huge success as a blocker (which is something he had to improve on coming out of college, proving to me that he was not lazy like some intimated). His lack of receiving success I believe had more to do with lack of opportunity than anything he did wrong. Failing to steal touches from Witten (a HOF’er in my opinion) is nothing to be ashamed of by itself, let alone when the guy is BFFs with the QB.

Myers on the other hand put up big numbers almost by default. He was the dump off man on an offense that could do nothing else right and was always trailing. Opponents were perfectly content to let Palmer dump the ball off for 5 yards all day long and set Janikowski up for yet another 50 yard field goal to cut the deficit to a mere 17 points.

TLDR: While Bennett was being held back by his circumstances, Myers was artificially lifted by his. Myers will become a better football player under Pope, yet not see the same statistical success.

Myers does indeed have better hands than Bennett, but that’s obviously just because he’s white. :-P

Don’t forget the beer…

6. kujo- No Jonathan Cooper out of UNC?

7.  F0XLIN says:

I’d take Cooper or Warmack if they are there, but to me DJ Fluker is our greatest guarantee David Diehl will be off the field

John Mara is hopeful that Victor Cruz’s switch to agent Tom Condon will help negotiations for a long-term contract.

But the Giants co-owner also says Cruz’s future depends on what he and Condon will want to do this season if the restricted free agent does not draw a contract offer from another team.

“Well, we weren’t getting anywhere with the previous agent,” Mara said of negotiations on SiriusXM NFL radio. “So hopefully with Tom Condon, we will be able to get something done. But I don’t have a feel for that one way or the other. It is sort of up to them.

“Do they want to sign a deal now or do they want to take their chances in free agency next year?” Mara continued. “That is assuming he doesn’t get an offer sheet. He may very well get an offer sheet from somebody. He is a dynamic player and he is certainly somebody we want back.”

9.  kujo says:

@NFLDraftInsider: For the #Giants 19th overall pick, I like a DE to play opp Pierre-Paul. FSU DE Werner or FSU DE Carradine.

10.  JimStoll says:

One line in Kyle’s piece caught my eye:

“Above all, this is the first step towards more simplicity on the defensive side of the football.”

How many times do we return to the theme that the Giants’ coaching staff seems to over-complicate things?

Seems like a lot to me