March 16th, 2013 at 2:45 PM
By Doug Rush

If the New York Giants want to re-sign starting left guard Kevin Boothe, they might want to do it a little quicker. Jason LaConfora of CBS Sports reports the Chicago Bears, Arizona Cardinals, Carolina Panthers and New York Jets are all interested in Boothe's services for 2013.

"Hearing that Kevin Boothe, one of top OL still on market, taking to NYG, his most recent team, as well as CAR, NYJ and AZ," La Canfora tweeted.

Boothe became a starter for the Giants during the 2011 season after Will Beatty suffered a season-ending eye injury that shifted David Diehl back to left tackle and gave Boothe the chance to be the starter.

Boothe has been a Giant since the 2007 season and has spent most of his career as a backup, but has performed well as a starter on the offensive line.

The Giants are still in the mix for Boothe as well, according to La Canfora, as they do view him as one of their current priorities right now. But with their cap space so limited right now, don't be surprised if another team swoops in with an offer that beats out the Giants and lures him away from New York.

If that does happen, the Giants could either transition right tackle James Brewer to the left guard spot, or they could address the need next month in April's NFL Draft.

One other option that has been mentioned is former Jets guard Matt Slauson, who is a free agent as well.

As the free agency period continues into the second week, it'll be very interesting to see where the Giants pursuit of Boothe goes and if they are able to convince the 29-year-old to stay with Big Blue.

Tags: Arizona, Arizona Cardinals, Carolina, Carolina Panthers, Chicago, Chicago Bears, Football, James Brewer, Kevin Boothe, Matt Slauson, New York, New York Giants, New York Jets, NFL

27 Responses to “New York Jets, Carolina Panthers Among Teams Pursuing New York Giants LG Kevin Boothe”

1.  jfunk says:

If we lose Boothe, we need to add two guards.

Neither Diehl nor Snee will be on the 2014 Giants.

2.  PittsburghJim says:

Gotta say….I’m jazzed we are making moves to plug holes, add youth and UNinjured players, for the most part. KRivers notwithstanding!!!

Here’s my take: we signed, restructured or re-signed Rivers, Ross, Webster,
    Connor, Jenkins, etc….

This all means “something” to me…..it takes us DOWN the Ernie Accorsi “yellow brick road” of….you CANNOT have enough pass rushers.

I guarantee Tom & Jerry (cue the frying pan to the face imagery) are DISGUSTED by the JPP, Tuck, Kiwi, Osi pass rush of last year, and believe Corey, Prince et al became uber vulnerable as a result. These signings are significant IF we can get the run stopped or at least SLOWED, and put a glove on the QB.

The 2 games which still make regurg are the Falcons & Ravens from ’12. I know the Ravens won it all, but in both games we DID NOT COMPETE. No hands touched Matty Ice or Unibrow Flacco.

This will be addressed in the Draft, me thinks….

3.  Valid says:

I like Boothe, but losing him wouldn’t be the end of the world, especially if some team decides to overpay for him. Have always wanted to see what Brewer can do, anyway.

“the Giants could either transition right tackle James Brewer to the left guard spot, or they could address the need next month in April’s NFL Draft.”

What’s the story with Brewer and playing guard? I have read that a few times but haven’t heard it discussed in any detail. If Brewer is really an option at guard it changes our priorities.

•  Valid says:

I’ll be honest: I don’t know too much about Brewer, but I keep hearing how much potential this kid has (I’m pretty sure FF55 has been clamoring for him for a while, but I could be wrong). We drafted him in 2011, so this will be his third year. Maybe it’s time so see what he’s got?

•  GmenMania says:

Yeah. but he’s a right tackle, not a left guard. I don’t know where the idea that he could play guard came from.

I have heard that he was practicing at guard some towards the end of the season. If he’s a RT he’s clearly athletic enough to play guard so it could be a good fit.

5.  BillyS says:

I’d very much like to keep Boothe, but only at a reasonable price. I have a feeling someone like the Panthers would risk overpaying because they need him more than we do. He’d be a luxury for us (depth is always important, after all), but I think other teams are in a more crucial situation than us and he would provide more bang for the buck for them than he would with us. If he stays at a team friendly deal then I’ll be thrilled, but if not then oh well. He’s been solid, but I think this draft is deep enough with linemen that we could find someone who could fill in (heaven forbid) if needed.

•  GmenMania says:

I highly doubt that the Panthers are an option. They have less cap space than we do, so they’re not “overpaying” anyone.

And how is Boothe a “luxury” for us? He was a starter last year, and we have no reasonable replacement at this point. Diehl was trash at guard two years ago, and we have no idea if Brewer can play guard or not. Boothe is definitely not a luxury.

•  BillyS says:

…because I feel that the Giants still view Diehl as a starter, sadly. He’s at the end of his career, but for some reason they just like the guy and think he could still be useful for them. I’d rather keep Boothe than Diehl, but it just seems like if they really wanted to keep Boothe then they’d have just cut Diehl and kept Boothe before he could hit the market in the first place.

•  TroyThorne says:

No, if Boothe were back he’d be a starter unless a stud like Warmack fell to us in the draft.

Also, signing a contract involves two parties. The Giants can’t just be like “you’re signed!” and call it a done deal. It’s very likely Boothe wanted to test the market to see if he could score a decent deal before re-signing.

6.  Chad Eldred says:

If Boothe wants to ensure that his career starts circling the drain as soon as possible,he should change locker rooms and sign with the Jets.

7.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

I said it earlier, but if Boothe does decide to go somewhere it’s VERY likely that we see the revolving door formerly known as David Diehl starting at LG or RT this season…which would be a disaster.

8.  Nosh.0 says:

I hope Dan Conner knows the moniker “Great White Hope” is already taken on this team. He’ll have to come up with some thing else if he wants an awesome nick name.

The legend of Kevin Boothe continues.

10.  PittsburghJim says:

How bout “Dennis & Jimmy’s illegitimate surrogate love child”?

That’s catchy.