The New York Giants were in a search for a replacement for departed tight end Martellus Bennett. On Saturday night, the team found one, as they landed former Oakland Raiders tight end Brandon Myers, reports Mike Garafolo of USA Today.
The Giants moved quickly to sign the 27-year-old, as they brought him in for a meeting on Saturday and signed him to a deal the same day.
In 2012 with Oakland, Myers had 79 catches for 806 yards and four touchdown receptions and was ranked the No. 3 tight end in free agency behind Tony Gonzalez and Dustin Keller.
This past week, Bennett left the Giants and signed a four-year, $20 million deal with the Chicago Bears, so the Giants need for a new starting tight end became another need for 2013.
The team had Bear Pascoe, who was already signed to a one-year deal, and Adrien Robinson, the team's fourth-round draft pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. But both were never really seen as starting options, which is why Myers was being pursued.
In Oakland, Myers had a good season catching passes from Carson Palmer in their offense. Now in a Giants offense that already has weapons such as Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Rueben Randle and David Wilson, Myers should be able to have an even better season and be fully used to his talents.
Eli Manning likes to use the tight end as a security blanket of sorts, going to them in key and crucial situations such as third downs or goal line passing downs.
For those who were upset over Bennett's departure, this signing should make those Giants fans forget about him. Myers might not be the blocker that Bennett was, but as pass-catching tight end, Myers is greatly superior and us an upgrade at the position.
Another great signing for the Giants in free agency that likely didn't cost them that much money to make.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1 Giants 101 on Google+
- Looking for 2013 NFL Draft news? Follow On The Clock 101 on Twitter and like On The Clock 101 on Facebook
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- New York Giants to Visit with TE Brandon Myers
- New York Giants Agree to Terms with WR Louis Murphy on a One-Year Deal
- Report: New York Giants May Target Tight End in First-Round of NFL Draft
- New York Giants Hope to Re-Sign Tight End Martellus Bennett
- New York Giants Re-Sign Tight End Bear Pascoe to One-Year Deal
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/rec