New York Giants Agree to Terms with Tight End Brandon Myers

March 16th, 2013 at 8:27 PM
By Doug Rush

The New York Giants were in a search for a replacement for departed tight end Martellus Bennett. On Saturday night, the team found one, as they landed former Oakland Raiders tight end Brandon Myers, reports Mike Garafolo of USA Today.

The Giants moved quickly to sign the 27-year-old, as they brought him in for a meeting on Saturday and signed him to a deal the same day.

In 2012 with Oakland, Myers had 79 catches for 806 yards and four touchdown receptions and was ranked the No. 3 tight end in free agency behind Tony Gonzalez and Dustin Keller.

This past week, Bennett left the Giants and signed a four-year, $20 million deal with the Chicago Bears, so the Giants need for a new starting tight end became another need for 2013.

The team had Bear Pascoe, who was already signed to a one-year deal, and Adrien Robinson, the team's fourth-round draft pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. But both were never really seen as starting options, which is why Myers was being pursued.

In Oakland, Myers had a good season catching passes from Carson Palmer in their offense. Now in a Giants offense that already has weapons such as Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Rueben Randle and David Wilson, Myers should be able to have an even better season and be fully used to his talents.

Eli Manning likes to use the tight end as a security blanket of sorts, going to them in key and crucial situations such as third downs or goal line passing downs.

For those who were upset over Bennett's departure, this signing should make those Giants fans forget about him. Myers might not be the blocker that Bennett was, but as pass-catching tight end, Myers is greatly superior and us an upgrade at the position.

Another great signing for the Giants in free agency that likely didn't cost them that much money to make.

Tags: Adrien Robinson, Bear Pascoe, Brandon Myers, Football, Martellus Bennett, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Oakland, Oakland Raiders

38 Responses to “New York Giants Agree to Terms with Tight End Brandon Myers”

1.  shmitty013 says:

Art Stapleton ?@art_stapleton
    So #NYG slow-played a pocket pair & ended up taking down one of top TEs on the market. Not blocker #BlackUnicorn is, but Myers big threat

2.  Chad Eldred says:

Small moves. Another piece in place.

•  Doug Rush says:

Myers was the No. 3 TE on market.

This is a pretty big move for the Giants.

•  Chad Eldred says:

So it’s not as big as if we had gotten the #2 TE end on the market, but bigger than getting the #4 TE. Did I wake up at my fantasy draft?

3.  BillyS says:

It could have been worse. He’s a good receiving TE, blocking is so-so. It’s better than if we had gotten Keller, though.

4.  TroyThorne says:

Interesting signing because he kind of goes against what people say is our preference for TEs (ie; blocker first). He’s a good receiver but provides less than nothing as a blocker.

Interested to see the details. I’m thinking it’s not big money. I didn’t think he was a fit because he is shorter than every TE we have had except Beckum since JR took charge. But he is 255-260 so that’s not small for a 6’3″ TE. He’s been a backup TE I had never heard of until this year so I have to believe his blocking is at least ok. I would have rather gone with Robinson as the starter but at least this should mean Pascoe won’t be our starter and actually his roster spot is in jeopardy because we like Donnell.

On Conner the more I think about it I overacted. Conner wasn’t good last year but he was playing the 3-4 but he’s better as a 4-3 MLB. He isn’t great but he is an upgrade at least talent wise from Blackburn. While he might not help us vs the pass he should be better versus the run. Plus obvious money was a factor which is why JR went with Conner. It’s clear JR is still going to stay with the basic low investment formula at LB and just hope for better production. I think that Conner is a 2 down player who will play much less than blackburn because when we go 2 LBs he will come off the field, blackburn stayed at times. I still hope for a high round LB draft pick but it’s far from given because with Rivers, Conner and the expected growth from the young guys we might only see a late round pick.

•  Chad Eldred says:

I think the best way to think of it is that at the very least we don’t lose anything with Connor over what we had last year.

6.  TonyMW says:

This guy is the definition of a “move the chains” type. He won’t be stretching the field, but he’ll do tons of damage on the short/intermediate stuff.

7.  Remy says:

I’m cool with this signing. The more weapons Eli has on hand the better. My understanding is that he’s an OKAY blocker, but certainly not an accomplished one. The Raiders coaching staff seems to do quite well with young tight ends, and give him a solid pre-season with Coach Pope and we could see him slowly come around on the blocking. Maybe, maybe not. I would not be at all surprised to see them draft another TE in the 4th-7th rounds, and go into camp with a battle between Myers, Pascoe, Robinson, Donnell, and a rookie. I’d be fine with that. Also, Good luck out there Mr Beckum, hope you catch on somewhere.

I’ve been amused to see lines like “not a great signing, but okay as a 4th or a 5th receiver”. That’s exactly the point, he’s here as a 4th or a 5th. No one is expecting him to displace the top 3 receivers, but if he pushes Randle then that’s a great thing. Competition competition competition. Young, decent size, fast as hell, could use some real coaching and a real QB. Low downside, decent upside. Signings like this are great, and a lot better than the Hagans, and Claytons we’ve seen in years gone by (although to be honest, I’m not sure if Murphy is much on kickoffs).

8.  shmitty013 says:

Dan Graziano ?@espn_nfceast
    The guys at @PFF rated Brandon Myers the worst blocking TE in the league last year. Bit of a departure for the Giants, no?

•  Remy says:

What’s the sample size? I can think of a lot worse tight ends when it comes to blocking.

I don’t know about PFF huh, my brother is a PFF junkie, and half the stats he throws at me don’t always seem right.

9.  JBeast says:

Been a while since I posted but have been reading everyday. Just a few things to get caught up, LOVE the Rivers signing dude can be a force if he can stay healthy I know it’s a big if. Not in love with the Conner move but I do think its an upgrade from Chase, I’m hoping Mark Hertzlich can beat him out in camp for the starting nod I was uber high on Mark when we signed him so I’m hoping he pans out cause he was a stud in college. Don’t really know much about Murphy I guess as a number 4/5 WR that’s not bad. I LOVE this Myers signing not a great blocker but he can block wanted the black unicorn back but not for the amount he got paid.