New York Giants Sign Linebacker Dan Connor to a One-Year Deal

March 16th, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Although the New York Giants' linebacker search may continue beyond this week, they've added another name to the mix today, signing linebacker Dan Connor to a one-year deal.

"(Giants-Cowboys) is a big-time rivalry. It runs deep. There are a couple of them in the NFC East. I know it’s a competitive one with definitive hatred from team to team, and you don’t see that much in the NFL. But it’s alive in this division," Connor said.

Connor, who was released by the Dallas Cowboys earlier in the week, was one of a umber of players who met with the Giants on Saturday. In addition, the team also met with (or will be meeting with) tight end Brandon Myers.

The signing of Connor comes on the heels of signing wide receiver Louis Murphy, also to a one-year deal, and the re-signing of linebacker Keith Rivers.

Originally a third-round pick of the Carolina Panthers in the 2008 NFL Draft, Connor spent 2012 with the Cowboys before being released due to salary cap issues.

In 56 career games, Connor has made 213 tackles, while adding one sack and two passes defended. Injuries have been a concern however, with 2009 being the only season in which he's played a full 16 games.

The addition of Connor all but spells the end for linebacker Chase Blackburn, who is looking for a more lucrative, long-term deal than the Giants are willing to offer.

"And with that move I guess we are saying goodbye!" Megan Blackburn, the wife of Chase Blackburn, tweeted.

Tags: Carolina, Carolina Panthers, Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, Dan Connor, Football, Keith Rivers, New York, New York Giants, NFL

25 Responses to “New York Giants Sign Linebacker Dan Connor to a One-Year Deal”

Boo! I hate this move! This likely means we are not signing any other LBs. I hope we draft a LB in the first 3 rounds.

•  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Took the words out of my mouth! Absolutely HATE this move! Would rather have had Blackburn back over this guy. This for sure means Dansby is out of the question. Also probably means that we don’t draft a LB that can come in contribute right away. I guess I can still hold out hope for the possibility of Bostic. Yet another GARBAGE free agency signing. The only signing I have been a fan of is Louis Murphy. The rest of these…just scum.

Big fan of the Murphy signing. I know he’s not going to be any more than a #4 receiver here…but he is VERY solid depth. Definitely could play the #3 role in the case of an injury. I’ve spent a lot of time around the Raiders over the past couple of years – this guys teammates really liked him, and if they had a decent QB (he left before Palmer really got up there) then he would’ve continued to put up numbers. Nicks, Cruz, Randle, Murphy, Jernigan and a late rounder/UDFA is a pretty solid receiving corps. I really just hope we can lock Cruz down so he doesn’t hold out in training camp.

2.  Valid says:

Would love Brandon Myers…doubt it happens though. I’m sure he’ll be out of our price range.

On Cruz I think the issue is that back and forth discussion here on how to classify Cruz. While I don’t agree with Nosh, if I’m Cruz that’s what I believe 100%. But if I’m JR I believe what I and others like F55 have been saying. To me that’s what makes coming to an agreement on a contract very difficult in this situation. When Cruz sees a guy like Jennings making 10 mil per year it’s hard for me to fault him for thinking he’s worth less. But he’s not making any money now and we all agree the 2.9 mil tender is much less than he’s worth. It will interesting because it’s all on Cruz. JR we have seen is not going to budge much if at all so it’s up to Cruz.

I like the signing of Murphy because we need depth and more bodies at WR. He has some upside and I think can replace Hixon’s WR skills. He reminds me a lot of the Devin Thomas signing.

•  Valid says:

Murphy is considerably more skilled as a WR than Thomas though, who was more or less David Tyree 2.0 in that he was mainly a special teams guy.

4.  Levito says:

Dansby wasn’t coming to NY unless the Giants got him on the cheap. I think this is a smart move and Connor IS an upgrade over Blackburn.

5.  Terrence97 says:

yes finally we have a stud lb!!!!!…. this move blows. how is it that this team cant get good LBs?!!! man i was really hoping michael kendricks from the eagles fell to us last year. dude is a stud in the making. we must love slow unathletic LBs…. i want killers on my team! give me a james harrison type i dont give a f if you are my mom type guys. someone who is mean and loves to hit. strong fast smart…… dont have to be a 1st rounder. there are plenty of guys in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. its unreal. look at what seattle did in the draft last year. drafted lbs and everyone said ohhh they are reaching for these players…. look how that turned out. pretty darn good if you ask me.
    and with the cruz thing…. can you guys stop crying “Nicks is better” crap. we all know he is better than cruz but stop acting like you guys wouldnt hit the panic button if cruz left. Cruz is a stud playing on the outside/inside. it would be devestating if he left. i for one would lead the charge in jumping of the GW. we all want cruz back. i think some of you are trying to prepare yourselves for the worst…. trying to convince others that his loss wouldnt be a big deal.
    The murphy signing.. its good to add depth. a guy with speed is always good to have…. but then again doesnt jj have speed? hopefully murph picks up the playbook.
    ugh this connor signing makes me sick

•  giankees says:

Reese has no money to work with. So he has to work with minnimums. Plus his strategy is to go after big contract positions early in the draft so they are cheap for 5 yrs. Seattle has wilson starying qb they have no capbhit for him. And jints have a huge cap hit for eli. So ey have more money to work with. And irvin was a stretch nobody thought ut was a good pick. Reese goes after high salary positions early in the draft. And doesn’t think lb or te or guard are high money so he probably won’t go after them unless they are way ahead in talent from who is still avail. I’mthinking he will go cb or dt in first rd depending on who is there. No money left to sign big free agents

6.  BigBlueGiant says:

Connor is like younger Blackburn. The kid works hard. But isn’t that great.

Whatever.

7.  Chad Eldred says:

I was a Connor supporter a couple of years ago, but I’m certainly not overly excited about the signing. In the big picture this is hardly a big deal one way or the other. As Dan says at the end of the article, the search will continue. This is just one more piece to add to an evolving puzzle.

8.  Valid says:

I guess people around here still haven’t learned how Reese operates. This has ALWAYS been JR’s free agent strategy. He won’t overpay for anyone, rarely goes after big names, and prefers to build through the draft.

Relax.

•  Valid says:

Plus, I’d rather use the money we have to re-sign Cruz than to go out and overpay for a LB.

9.  GmenMania says:

The panic here over this signing is ridiculous. We didn’t just sign him to a huge contract. We signed Connor to a one year, probably veteran minimum deal. He may not even make the roster, but it never hurts to bring in more competition.

Additionally, Connor is NOT Blackburn. Connor wasn’t sitting on his couch halfway through the year in 2011. Connor is 5 years younger, and a little faster. He hasn’t really had ant injury problems, and is better in coverage than many have suggested. He’s a solid, young linebacker who won’t make a huge impact but whose signing is GOOD for this team, NOT bad.

10.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Really hoping we lock down Brandon Meyers on a multiple year deal. Don’t really want another one-year, stop-gap deal where we constantly are in search of another TE. I’ve been banging the table all off season for Meyers/Fred Davis. Meyers is a very good blocker and showed last year that with a legit QB he can be a threat. Would be a nice consolation prize for the loss of the Unicorn and a very under the radar signing by JR. Really hope this gets done.

•  GmenMania says:

As long as its at a low price, I’d love it. But I also want to see what Robinson can do, so I don’t want too long a deal if Myers does get signed. Maybe something like a 2 year deal.

•  KingAndrewXXIII says:

2-3 year deal would be solid. Price would probably be right too. Still shouldn’t take away from Robinson. If Robinson is ready to rock, they will put him out there…if not, then he has another year to learn and develop behind Meyers. In any case, assuming Robinson is what we hope he can be…Meyers would be an outstanding #2 TE.