March 15th, 2013 at 12:00 PM
By Kyle Langan

The New York Giants are in the market for a tight end yet again. After one season they have let tight end Martellus Bennett walk away for a more lucrative opportunity with the Chicago Bears.

Though both general manager Jerry Reese and co-owner John Mara have expressed faith in the current in house – candidates Bear Pascoe, Larry Donnell and Adrian Robinson – the truth is that the Giants are in the market for need of a tight end.

Tight ends currently left available on the free agent market will probably command more money than the Giants are willing to spend (see: Dustin Keller), but there are still some other options.

The Giants will likely enter draft day with their current tight end situation and wait to see how things shake out on draft day before exploring more veteran tight end options. If things don't shake out the way the Giants like during the draft, they should investigate a trade for St. Louis Rams tight end Lance Kendricks

Drafted in the second-round out of Wisconsin in the 2011 NFL Draft, Kendricks was considered a tight end with a ton of "upside" as a receiver.

In two seasons, Kendricks has not lived up to the expectations that St. Louis had for him when the drafted him in 2011. Just this past week the team signed tight end Jared Cook to a deal worth more than $30 million. Cook has ties to the current regime from his days in Tennessee, whereas Kendricks does not.

Kendricks will have a cap hit of just over $1.1 million this season and just over $1.3 next season. Both a fairly affordable numbers.

Though Kenricks has not produced as expected in St. Louis, a change of scenery might do him the same good it did Martellus Bennett. And while we would not be willing to part with much to get Kendricks if any of us were were Jerry Reese, the Rams may be looking to dump him at some point. And it could be worth investigating.

Tags: Football, Lance Kendricks, New York, New York Giants, NFL, St. Louis Rams

46 Responses to “Should New York Giants Investigate a Trade for St. Louis Rams Tight End Lance Kendricks?”

Repost:

fanfor55years says:
    March 15, 2013 at 11:41 AM
    Austin may be the biggest enigma of the Reese Era. They drafted him high, they spoke glowingly about him and they gave him some snaps. Yet, he has produced absolutely nothing.

He sits there as possibly the biggest bust of the Giants’ drafts since Reese took over the draft room. But he also still dangles the talent that makes everyone hope he can finally put it together. Is there anyone here who even has a clue what he’ll provide in 2013? I sure don’t. I’m not sure the coaches know. Like I said, total enigma.

GOAT56 says:
    March 15, 2013 at 11:54 AM
    I he’s a player that is unfair to judge in 2 years. He was thought to be rusty heading into his rookie year so not much was expected. Then he gets injured and misses his rookie year. His second year he has some bumps and bruises but is actually able to practice an play in real football games for the first time in 2 years. Now he should have rust knocked off with another offseason and he can figure out the details. This year should show what he’s got. I can’t say that he won’t prove to be a bust but so far isn’t the best judge.

kujo says:
    March 15, 2013 at 12:01 PM
    As it currently stands, it’ll be a tie between Sintim, Austin, Jernigan, Barden and Jones for “biggest draft bust” of Reese’s tenure. I know the inclusion of Jones will draw ire from some, but the fact is that he was a 3rd round pick who, because of an absolute tragedy, has not given us anything. That’s not Reese’s fault, but it’s still a high pick that didnt work out. The rest of these guys were 2nd and 3rd round picks, top 100 selections that should have been significant building blocks on our team. Yet, despite the lauds and laurels that were thrown their way on draft day, they’ve come up short, in varying degrees and for various reasons. Great GMs don’t have that many wifs in the first 3 rounds, no matter how genius the a great many of rest of their picks have turned out. The fact that there exists serious poverty at quality depth at linebacker, defense tackle, offensive guard and defensive end is due, in large part, to these failed draft picks, and others in the 4th rounds.

It’s been said before, but Reese needs to knock this draft out of the park. We need 2-3 starters this year, and at least 2 other guys who are no more than a year or so away from starting. Is it an unfairly tall order to ask for? Perhaps. But the rebuild-on-the-fly situation we currently find ourselves was built by several of these failures.

I don’t think you can look at a 3rd rounder in the same class as a 2nd rounder. A 3rd rounder should be a contributor but if they are not a starter it doesn’t kill you. Sintim is easily the biggest bust so far and if Austin does nothing he could surpass him. Our 3rd rounders haven’t been great but really all you need is 1 or 2 quality contributors outside of the 2nd round to make a great draft. Hitting the top goes a long ways. Last years draft is already on its way to being great because of the number of contributors last year. Everyone should play more plus guys like Robinson and Mosley could go from not playing to key roles.

Too soon to conclude that Austin or Jernigan is a bust. And certainly Jones is unfair, as you admit.

Sintim and Barden are busts, plain-and-simple. Beckum? A wasted pick since the player didn’t fit the scheme. We’ll never know whose error that was but should all be aware that Coughlin IS in the draft room so had to have endorsed the pick.

How about Kehl? Not a great pick.

All GMs miss. Nature of the game. But the Giants have hit on plenty, and have also done pretty darned well among the UDFAs picking up Cruz and Hill. Reese has a wonderful track record.

But he needs TWO outstanding drafts in succession now. Lots of holes in this team and time is running on the Manning Era.

Kehl is still playing. He just re-signed with the redskins. But he was a 4th rounder. That Nebraska LB was probably JR’s worse pick. Injuries were still Sintim’s problem as they have been with Austin but that kid just couldn’t play.

•  F0XLIN says:

What concerns me with Austin is last season he was talking about getting into producing music, looking beyond football to life after, when he has yet to play any meaningful football to begin with

•  wlubake says:

“Great GMs don’t have that many wifs in the first 3 rounds, no matter how genius the a great many of rest of their picks have turned out. The fact that there exists serious poverty at quality depth at linebacker, defense tackle, offensive guard and defensive end is due, in large part, to these failed draft picks, and others in the 4th rounds.”

This seems like an odd statement to me. I don’t know a GM who has had more success recently. I’d also say that a big reason why the Giants don’t have incredible depth is because of the picks Reese hits out of the park. Those guys get retained on big contracts, keeping us from keeping many good picks later on, and keeping us from being too active in free agency.

The Seahawks and 49ers can accumulate great depth, because they don’t have elite players commanding huge salaries, particularly at the QB position. Watch Baltimore, with a great GM, start to struggle with this too.

Bad depth can be a good thing in the NFL. That means you have elite players at the top of your depth chart, making you churn cheaper guys further down.

2.  jfunk says:

Meh, if the Giants like him I’d not object to grabbing him with a 6th round pick as opposed to using that pick in April on a TE instead.

3.  demo3356 says:

Pass…… Wouldn’t give up more than a late late rd pick and Rams would have no motivation to do so. they just spent a #2 on him and he is under an affordable rookie deal for 2 more years. I’m starting to get the feeling that the giants TE depth chart come camp will be
    Robinson
    Donnell
    PascStiff
    Rookie mid round pick
    Beckum? On a vet minimum deal

That would not be the worst outcome they could have. Not sure about Beckum. They might want an alternative with more size. I’d consider that too bad. Beckum can contribute, but only if Gilbride uses him differently.

I agree mostly but unfortunately I think PascStiff will start at #1. I feel the same about him but considering he was #1 over Bennett last offseason I expect him to start there again with even less proven competition against him.

No Beckum for me. Never been a fan. I can’t say the TEs I wanted before him have panned out but he’s too small for our system and not good enough to make adjustments he would need to be effective. I rather play Randle, Hynopski or a different TE. I don’t even want him on our training camp roster.

4.  demo3356 says:

I’d rather See Ramses Barden go on the “Seahawks Diet” put on 25 lbs of muscle and compete for a TE spot than trade a pick for a rams draft bust (one of many)

Along the same lines I think Beckum should just lose 10 lbs and just play WR.

Ramses Barden is to you what Gerris Wilkinson is to me. You still want the guy. And he’s awful.

•  Terrence97 says:

Lol!!!

•  demo3356 says:

LOL, that was more showing how little interest I have in Kendricks than how much in Prince.. Prince will get a gig some where.

•  TheCatch says:

What Austin has been to me every since having heard Phil make this comment:

The huge key that Simms saw for the Giants the last two weeks- they quit blitzing so much, allowing the DL to come up big. Simms made an unsolicited remark that we have been saying since the Draft Project- “DL Marvin Austin (rookie, IR) is going to be really really good.”

He’s not our type of TE. He’s in the Beckum mode though he’s better. To trade an asset for him when we could draft our type of TE in the mid to late rounds makes little sense. Plus our draft pick we have under control for 4 years compared to 2 years for Kenricks.

I wonder if Reese is stripping away all the coaching staff’s security blankets? Bradshaw, Hixon, Phillips … maybe he feels we need a youth movement, and knows he won’t get one if these low ceiling vets hang around?

•  demo3356 says:

You may be onto something here..

•  Chad Eldred says:

Yes, I said this several days ago. That’s why I didn’t ever anticipate Bennett would be back and I said the same thing about Bradshaw. He won’t be back even if he says he would play for free. It is the only way to get guys like Wilson and Robinson on the field. Heck, even Brown couldn’t get carries when Bradshaw was healthy and he had already filled in at that point.

7.  wlubake says:

I’d rather target a guy like Dion Sims in the draft. More in our mold of TE.

8.  wlubake says:

Did I miss the final number on Diehl’s restructure, or has that not come out yet?

9.  rlhjr says:

Future Giant TE’s ?

Dion Sims Mich St.
    Michael Williams Bama
    Zach Sudfeld Nevada

Blockers first pass catchers…..maybe……….

•  demo3356 says:

not only would JR NOT give up a 2nd rounder, but he doesn’t have the cap room to come up with the un matchable deal. Pitta is a very good player, but you or I will pay TE for the NYG this season before he does

•  strahan92 says:

My reasoning for looking at pitta as an option is…why choose a TE in the first round when we could give up a second rounder for a proven TE? Maybe we could possibly restructure another contract or two? I would like to see our first rounder go to a DE or OL opposed to a LB. I do feel like we could sign our MLB via free agency still for a 2-3 year deal.

•  wlubake says:

I don’t think the need is great enough to commit to a 2nd rounder. Pitta’s a nice player, but not worth bending over backwards for.

As for RFA’s I though Pittsburgh took an odd strategy giving Emmanuel Sanders an original round tender. That’s a pretty good receiver, and Pitt’s up against the cap. Someone could make that play.