Free Agent Linebacker Dan Connor to Visit with New York Giants

March 15th, 2013 at 4:45 PM
By Paul Tierney

The New York Giants are currently juggling their limited salary cap space with their attempts to fill vital holes on the roster that caused Big Blue to miss the playoffs for the third time in four seasons in 2012. By signing Cullen Jenkins, Aaron Ross, and Ryan Mundy, the Giants have added quality depth to their roster without eating up a significant portion of the salary cap. The team continued those efforts today, as the Giants have brought in former Dallas Cowboys linebacker Dan Connor to visit with the team.

Connor is a former third-round draft pick of the Carolina Panthers, where he started 19 games over the first four years of his career. He signed with the Cowboys last offseason and went on to make 54 tackles in 14 games. Connor took over starting duties late in the season after teammate Sean Lee was put on the injured reserve.

With Chase Blackburn a free-agent, Connor makes sense for the Giants. For the money, he will provide solid play against the run and help fill the rushing lanes in the middle of the defense. Connor is not a three down linebacker, as he is a complete liability in coverage and does not posses the speed or athleticism to defend in the open field.

Regardless, the Giants need to find a player to man the MIKE linebacker position ins 2013. There are definitely more talented players than Connor on the free-agent market; however, given the team's current financial state, this may be the best player the Giants can afford. As a team that has not invested heavily in a middle linebacker in recent years, it should come as no surprise to fans that the Giants are searching the free-agent scrap heap to help solidify a glaring hole in their defense.

Connor has also visited with the Oakland Raiders and Pittsburgh Steelers. If he ultimately decided to sign with the Giants, he will thrown into a linebacker competition with Mark Herzlich and Keith Rivers to man play middle linebacker. Rivers is also a fit on the weakside as well, but with Jacquian WIlliams and Spencer Paysinger on the roster, the Giants will likely attempt to utilize Rivers elsewhere. Connor is talented enough to find a role within the defense, but he is not a difference maker on the defensive side of the football. At best, he provides modest production in limited action, while being a veteran presence at one of the younger positions on the team.

photo credit: kevin813 via photopin cc

Tags: Aaron Ross, Carolina, Carolina Panthers, Chase Blackburn, Cullen Jenkins, Dallas Cowboys, Football, Jacquian Williams, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Oakland Raiders, Ryan Mundy, Spencer Paysinger

36 Responses to “Free Agent Linebacker Dan Connor to Visit with New York Giants”

That’s crazy! if a team that people though less of their management did the same thing the media would kill them. But I bet they take it easy on Denver.

First sign that Boothe returns on the cheap

Adam Caplan reported Friday that Willie Colon agreed to a one-year, $1.2 million deal with the Jets, per a source

2.  strahan92 says:

I dont believe connor would be an immediate upgrade over what we have. Karlos Dansby is who we need to pursue for the upgrade while continuing to groom MH.

•  Paul Tierney says:

At best, Herzlich develops into a marginal NFL linebacker. Don’t put all your eggs in his basket. He lacks the speed to cover down field and he does not possess great instincts. Some of that can be fixed over time, but it’s debatable whether Herzlich will ever be talented enough to start in the NFL.

I think at best Herzlich can develop into a better version of what Chase was because he’s a better athlete. To me right now Conner is like Chase expect he’s not familiar with this defense and might not have the knack for plays. Bringing someone like Conner does little. If you don’t believe Herzlich has much upside that’s fine but Conner is not helping us, get someone better. We can get someone of Conner’s level during the summer.

•  strahan92 says:

You do have some points. However, prior to MH missing a football season he was projected to be a high 1st round pick if I’m not mistaken. Some players take a little time to develop( aaron rodgers). I’m giving him this year and next to really show us how much he has grasped/ developed. For the giants sake I hope he does because he is a smart, talented player.

3.  Joseph Bulger says:

So this is all the Gmen can afford? What about more worthy UFA LBs who are just on the wrong side of 30 but are the next tier up, playing for small market teams that’ll never enable them to close out their career with a Super Bowl ring… like Daryl Smith in Jax? Out of the question? Mara ought to send his jet down there to pick him up… 1 year for what they’re prepared to pay Conner. No?

We’re hoarding our cap dollars for Cruz.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Knowing we could use the cap $$$, I’m still curious as to why DD is on the team. He’s the definition of washed up. With Snee not far behind.

5.  Nosh.0 says:

Hey don’t be talking bad about the “Great White Hope”. Kid’s gonna be an all pro.

Now here’s my top 7 breakout players for the 2013 NYG

1. Rueban Randle- This one is too easy. He flashed in his limited playing time last year that he can go up and catch a jump ball and has some ability after the catch. You can def see the comparisons to Nicks. Although probably a poor to middle class mans Nicks being that Nicks when healthy is one of the best in the NFL. (No sarcasm. I actually do think/acknowledge Nicks is a beast despite my Cruz love juice) Only thing holding Randle back at this point is his knowledge of the playbook and option/hot routes. If he gets those down the kid can be a star.

2. David Wilson: All he really needed was the touches. Well, and an OL that can run block. Touches will come. OL to be determined.

3. Will Beatty: You could argue he broke out last year but was still inconsistent at times. I think he puts it together for 16 games and becomes a top 5 LT, in pass protection at least.

4. Adrian Robinson: I’ll admit I have no idea what he even looks like. But after JR’s comparison, “he’s the JPP of TE’s” and the fact we let Bennett walk without an offer, I think he becomes a nice weapon for us. And Eli has a good history of making no name TE’s suddenly relevant.

5. Will Hill: This is a leap of faith and I’m trusting the people here on G101 more than my own eyes, which I have to admit did not see much of Hill on TV other then some nice ST moments. My only concern is that Fewell kind of blows, and has a knack of confusing our D Backs.

6. Marvin Austin: I’m betting on talent, opportunity, and it being a make or break year for him. Hopefully someone has whispered to the kid that he can make himself a lot of money with a big year this season. Or he could be out of the NFL with another year like 2011-2012.

7. Jaquan Williams: This was my guy for 2012 and he sucked. I’m doubling down.

•  Nosh.0 says:

I was going to have Prince at #1 but I think he kind of broke out last year in establishing himself as or clear #1 corner.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Nosh, I really really commend you for NOT putting “Mr. Potential” on this list.

•  Valid says:

I had ridiculously high hopes for Williams last year after how good he looked in 2011. Not sure what happened. Hopefully it was just a sophomore slump and he’ll shake it off.

6.  Terrence97 says:

How sad is this that we r looking at Dan Connor. We shoulda just kept chase.

7.  BigBlueGiant says:

Not sure who does the negotiating for the Eagles, but dude should get an award.

Arrelious Benn AND a 7th round pick to the eagles for a 6th rounder and a conditional pick in 2014

I know Benn is no superstar… but how did they get a draft pick in the deal as well?

Well done, Philly.

•  Nosh.0 says:

I liked him coming out of college. Haven’t heard from him since though.

•  Nosh.0 says:

I’ll give Philly credit in this regard. They needed some new blood and that’s exactly what they’re doing. Plus the KP and Chung signings are low risk for 2 guys with talent and some thing to prove.

Still it all comes down to whether or not Vick has anything left in the tank.

•  Valid says:

Vick has been terrible the last two years. I don’t see any reason to believe that he is suddenly going to turn it on at age 33.

Any thoughts on ‘Osi to Denver’ now that those boneheads have accidentally cut Dumervil ?

•  shmitty013 says:

Think Denver got stuck with a big cap hit from Dumervil’s release so not sure they’ll have the space to bring Osi in, but maybe.

•  BillyS says:

I think Osi would love that, but I don’t think Denver has the $$. I still feel as if something will happen where the NFL will reverse the decision and allow him to go there at the agreed price of $8 mil.

I feel as if Dwight Freeney could go there for relatively cheap.

I wonder if the Chief is having any second thoughts right about now? Not much of a market for DEs on the backside of their careers. Looks like Scrooge McUmenyiora miscalculated his worth once again. I guess Reese isn’t a liar. Welcome to free agency Osi.

9.  Remy says:

I like PSU guys, but I’m not loving this one. He’s fundamentally sound, but he’s just not that good. Tackled several yards downfield after contact, and he’s spent more time off the field than on it, so I guess he’d fit right in. No worse than Blackburn, but not what we’re all craving…