What Wes Welker’s Deal Means for New York Giants’ Victor Cruz

March 14th, 2013 at 7:00 AM
By Casey Sherman

'Victor Cruz 2012 Shankbone' photo (c) 2012, David Shankbone - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ Wide receiver Wes Welker surprised the NFL by leaving the New England Patriots and signing with the Denver Broncos yesterday. Welker signed a two-year deal at a surprisingly reasonable $12 million ($6 million a year).

It had been reported that if Welker signed with another team that the Patriots would consider making restricted free agent Victor Cruz a huge offer. Then news broke that Cruz hired agent Tom Condon.

Condon has great standing with the Giants organization representing Eli Manning, Mathias Kiwanuka, Osi Umenyiora and Mark Herzlich. Apparently his standing with the Patriots is not nearly as good, as Pats' owner Robert Kraft typically prefers not to do business with him.

Quickly after allowing Welker to walk, the Pats inked Danny Amendola to a five-year, $31 million contract, putting an end to any speculation that they could be a threat to sign Cruz.

Welker was offered a two year, $10 million deal by the Patriots, that he considered an insult after producing at such a high level during his tenure there. After feeling disrespected by the Patriots, Welker decided to ditch Tom Brady to play with Peyton Manning for nearly the same deal.

The fact that Welker agreed to the same contract the with Broncos that Pats were offering him out of spite could really help the Giants while they negotiate with Victor Cruz. Now that two of the top free agent slot receivers available in Welker and Amendola have signed their respective deals, which each comes to about $6 million a year, we have a better idea of what type of contract Cruz should expect from the Giants.

There is no doubt Cruz is deserving of a large contract and will surely get more money than Welker and Amendola. The Giants along with Cruz and his agent should be able to use Welker's deal of $6 million a year as a starting point while they negotiate a number.

Tags: Danny Amendola, Eli Manning, Football, Mark Herzlich, Mathias Kiwanuka, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora, Tom Condon, Victor Cruz, Wes Welker

15 Responses to “What Wes Welker’s Deal Means for New York Giants’ Victor Cruz”

My view on Dansby is when I look at the other free agent LB options even the few that signed he still looks like the best option for us considering his likely price. There was no great MLB option available in this market. I like signing a guy like Dansby doesn’t preclude us from drafting an early round LB. Truth be told even if we drafted an early round LB I doubt we would start a rookie at MLB. It’s more likely the rookie can start at SLB or WLB and eventually transition to MLB.

2.  JimStoll says:

The Welker signing really looks like very good news for the giants.
    Cruz is now capped at 6M per if he signs this year which is about right
    He may choose to play out the year in order to catch a more cap-friendly environment in 14; but the ceiling has now been set

Living up here in Boston, let me tell you Patriots nation is on suicide watch
    they are livid
    crapping all over amendola
    Hating the Genius (does anyone else think Belicheck and Gilbride were spawned by the same evil wench?)
    Angry at Kraft

3.  Dirt says:

That Welker situation is strange, man.

4.  JimStoll says:

Mike Garafolo ?@MikeGarafolo
    NYG S Kenny Phillips has a few irons in the fire but nothing imminent. Could develop in the next few days. There’s interest in the NFC East.

Compared to some here I have lessor value for Cruz. But I doubt he and his agent will use Welker’s contract as any barometer. Cruz still is a pretty good outside WR and not limited to the slot even though he’s most effective in the slot. Unlike Welker he’s in his prime and unlike Amendola he’s been healthy. The only chip we have is he’s a RFA. Given the market and even the contracts or players like garcon and brown last year he’s worth in the 8 mil range plus. But I don’t that’s what he’s worth from a giant’s perspective which is were the conflict occurs. If you have Nicks and Randle plus you saw how Steve Smith was replaced how do you give Cruz an 8 mil plus type of contract if you plan on keeping Nicks? I’m sure there’s similar concern in the Nicks negotiations. I think JR will find that the market has made keeping both unlikely. Comparable or lesser WRs keep getting these huge how can we get Nicks and/or Cruz to take much of a discount.

•  JimStoll says:

this debate and the views you express, along with the counter-views, have been hashed and re-hashed
      I think with each passing day and each new contract it is looking more and more likely like Cruz stays at least through 2013 and hopefully gets a long term deal
      (fingers crossed)

6.  The Original G Man says:

I think Welker took this whole thing personal and decided to stick it to the Patriots. He should have fired up The Godfather and learned a lesson or 2 from Don Corleone … “It’s nothing personal, just business.”

•  JimStoll says:

if you are going to act out of pique and leave the comfort of Tom Brady tossing you the ball, Peyton Manning is not a bad fall-back plan

•  JimStoll says:

in New England they are interpreting it as Belicheck pushing him out the door because Welker was too independent and not buttoned down enough for bill’s liking

•  The Original G Man says:

From that Clark Judge column I linked to below:

4. A source I trust told me he believes the Patriots’ offer to Welker was comparable to Denver’s … if not basically the same … but that Welker left because he believed he failed to gain the proper “respect” he thought he deserved from the club. I don’t know if it’s true, but I have seen it happen before.

•  The Original G Man says:

“Tom, this is business, and this man is taking it very personal!”
            - Sonny Corleone

7.  The Original G Man says:

Re: Dansby and, for that matter, anyone else we bring in, my philosophy is a simple one … if Jerry Reese is for him, then so am I.

I’m kind of warming on Dansby too … if the price is right. Mainly because a) he’s the best currently available in free agency … and b) the ILB draft crop is not exciting.

8.  The Original G Man says:

Good column by Clark Judge on the slot receiver market vis a vis Cruz vs Nicks:

9.  Levito says:

My guess for KP is that he ends up in Dallas or NE. If that’s the case, I really hope it’s NE.