New York Giants Expected to Sign Safety Ryan Mundy

March 14th, 2013 at 1:25 PM

The New York Giants had former Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Mundy in for a visit today and it sounds like things went well. The team is expected to sign the four-year player out of West Virginia by the end of the day today, reports Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Because Mundy isn't a household name, having started only five games in his four-year NFL career, the immediate reaction to his addition will be one of skepticism. However, with Kenny Phillips all but but certain to leave via free agency, the Giants are in need of quality depth behind Stevie Brown and Will Hill, who will play opposite of Antrel Rolle.

With Dashon Goldson (Buccaneers), LaRon Landry (Colts) and Glover Quin (Lions) all being taken off the market in the blink of an eye, it was clear General Manager Jerry Reese & Co. had to strike while the iron was hot. And although Mundy is far from a superstar in this league, he has every bit the resume Stevie Brown had coming into the 2012 and we all saw how that panned out. In other words: in Reese we trust.

In addition to being able to play both free and strong safety (essentially interchangeable in the Giants' system), Mundy also provides value on special teams.

In 64 career games, Mundy has collected 130 tackles, one interception and two passes defended. He also lined up at wide receiver from time to time, catching his only pass in 2011 (33 yards).

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers, Ryan Mundy

10 Responses to “New York Giants Expected to Sign Safety Ryan Mundy”

1.  The Original G Man says:

I would think he’s competition for Tyler Sash, nothing more.

2.  jfunk says:

Meh, nothing to get excited about one way or the other. Any safety we bring in not named Kenny Phillips is just competing for the last roster spot.

Well, after the Giants kept saying CC Brown was a good player I’ll believe ANY signing at safety, but I don’t like this guy. I remember how awful he was in that playoff game against Denver when he, btw, was the safety who was diving into the LOS while a receiver ran free down the field. One of the worst safety reads I’ve ever seen.

Looks like we’ll have Rolle and Brown starting with Hill, Sash, Mundy, Thomas, and others competing for the #3-#4 spots on the depth chart.

I think Hill has a chance to be a star. If so, we’re in good shape back there, but I expect the Giants to draft a safety in April because Rolle is getting older, Brown may be a flash-in-the-pan and also might be gone after this year anyway.

Sash is looking like a bust about now. Too bad. He really had a nose for the ball at Iowa.

•  Valid says:

Hill is going to be the best safety in the league in a couple of years, or at least in the top three or five. I love that kid.

4.  F0XLIN says:

DD agrees to pay cut

5.  Ara Janigian says:

I see the giants playing alot of 3 S looks….and more 2 LB looks.

I’m REALLY warming to the idea of Terrell Thomas at safety if his knee holds up.

I assume Reese is going to sign a veteran corner at some point and I’m positive he will draft one (or more). I also hear through the grapevine that they think a couple of the kids they signed to contracts after the season have some promise as depth corners. (I’m still hoping for Rhodes or Trufant out of the draft).

Assuming there’s a risk of TT breaking down, it’s far easier to find veteran safeties sitting around on their couches than it is to find a corner mid-season. So I’d love to see him prove he can play there and then challenge for the #2 spot but wind up no worse than the #4 spot on the depth chart.

I agree with valid about Hill, but then you all know that.

7.  CT GIANT says: