March 14th, 2013 at 11:35 AM

It's been a wild couple of days for tight end Martellus Bennett, who hit the free agency ground running and almost immediately signed a long-term deal with the Chicago Bears. And as sad as it is to see the Black Unicorn changing his uniform, at least he's doing it with the same class and dignity we've come to expect from him after a season with the New York Giants.

'David Carr and Martellus Bennett Warm Up' photo (c) 2012, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

On Thursday, Bennett took to Twitter and thanked the Giants organization and the fans of New York for the opportunity to revitalize his career.

"I'm extremely appreciative of all the guys and the whole Giants organization as well as the wonderful fans. New York was truly a blessing to me," Bennett tweeted. "I will be forever grateful for the opportunity I was given in New York and being a part of an organization that believed in me."

In addition to that thank you, Bennett set aside a tweet specifically for tight ends coach Mike Pope, whom he worked with daily during his time in the Big Apple.

"Great talk with Coach Pope this morning. Love that dude. Couldn't have asked for a better man to help me understand who I was a player," he tweeted.

Whatever it was the Dallas Cowboys would have had you believe about Bennett following the 2011-2012 season proved to be entirely inaccurate. Not only was Bennett a tremendously hard worker and a perfect teammate, but he was also great with the fans and media alike. He played through pain, put up big numbers and never complained about a single thing. He went out each week and gave 100% and never once shied away from fan interaction.

All told, Bennett was the ideal athlete and person. The Bears and their fans are lucky to have him, and we will continue to wish him well.

Tags: Chicago, Chicago Bears, Football, Martellus Bennett, Mike Pope, New York, New York Giants, NFL

39 Responses to “Martellus Bennett Thanks New York Giants for Opportunity; Fans for Believing in Him”

1 2 3

I agree 100%

Well said … good luck Black Unicorn !!!

Good luck to Marty B. He was a breath of fresh air as well as a solid player. I wish him a really good life.

4.  Terrence97 says:

Awww I feel so warm and fuzzy inside. How bout thank us n the organization by resigning with us! This loss really hurts.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

The Giants offered him peanuts. The guys deserved a larger contract. He deserves his chance for a big money deal. He got it. Giants didn’t offer it.

Bennett was one of my favorite people ever. He’s a truly great human being above all else. I, for one, am really sad to see him go.

5.  Terrence97 says:

If he’s not with us then he’s against us. Could care less about him now especially when he plays us

•  Levito says:

That’s a pretty weak mentality. I won’t wish for him to win any SBs in Chicago, but he was a solid player and seemed like a good man. I won’t hate KP if/when he signs with another team, he was one of my favorite players on the team since he was drafted.

Hating other players is pretty amateur. I can understand hating other teams in general, but as long as the players are professional and don’t act like overgrown babies, I’m not going to harbor any hate for them.

6.  Levito says:

In one year, he quickly became one of my favs on the team. Injuries hurt his production, but it seemed (from the outside, at least), that he was a professional who didn’t complain. And a very entertaining personality on the team.

He probably got $10,000,000 more from Da Bears … you can hardly blame him for taking the offer.

•  jfunk says:

Not at all. In fact, he would have been a fool to turn them down.

There is nothing wise or cool about turning down personal gain out of “loyalty” to a corporate entity or because you would like to win more games.

Hurting you and your family’s financial security for the sake of avoiding change or the urge to be a “winner” is pretty childish and immature.

Sometimes it is wise for a player to take less money in the short term to be put in a better situation for leveraging future earnings (see Martellus Bennett circa 2012). Other than that, it’s pretty stupid.

If I went home and told my wife that the company down the street offered me double my salary to go do the same job but I turned them down because I’d be less likely to get my name on a winner’s plaque at the end of the year, she’d probably kick me in the nuts.

For sure. A few bucks and it’s a different discussion. But that’s too big a nut for any squirrel to turn down. Best of luck to him. I hope he owns Chicago.

P.S. Cutler is still a puzzy.

8.  Valid says:

Good luck to this dude. I hope he kills it in Chicago (except when he’s playing the Giants, of course).

9.  Rosedale Is Back says:

The big unicorn was a stop gap to get Robinson ready he will come in and dominate this year he had a full year with pope and will have a full offseason. when the great jerry Reese says the kid is the JPP of TEs I listen he’s a big dude and hopefully he will be like Ballard and just surprise us all. I’m curious to see if Kenny Phillips is going to come back with his tail between his legs now that it looks like no team is as interested in his injury prone ****.

10.  BigBlueGiant says:

As for Rey Maulugula…. NO THANK YOU.

•  F0XLIN says:

Any furture whispers on KP? Garafolo reported there were a few teams interested including NFC East, not sure he meant the Giants

1 2 3