New York Giants May Explore Reunion with Dave Tollefson

March 13th, 2013 at 11:45 AM

As they recently did with cornerback Aaron Ross, the New York Giants may soon have a reunion with defensive end Dave Tollefson. Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News reports the team does have some interest in the veteran, although no new deal is imminent.

Tollefson, who was released by the Oakland Raiders earlier this week, was originally a seventh-round pick of the Green Bay Packers in 2006. He was signed by the Giants off of the Raiders' practice squad in 2007 and would remain with the team through 2011.

A valuable reserve, Tollefson never got the credit he deserved in New York. He was highly underrated and vastly overlooked playing alongside the likes of Michael Strahan, Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora and Jason Pierre-Paul. Still, the talented all-around DE was productive when he saw the field, collecting 81 tackles, 10 sacks and forcing five fumbles in 63 games with the team.

Any potential deal with Tollefson likely won't occur until June when the Giants designate defensive tackle Chris Canty and running back Ahmad Bradshaw as post-June 1st cuts.

In addition to the Giants, several other teams are also said to be interested.

Tags: Aaron Ross, Dave Tollefson, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Oakland, Oakland Raiders

78 Responses to “New York Giants May Explore Reunion with Dave Tollefson”

1 2 3 4
  1.  kujo says:

The linebacker you were all on about the other day just ran a 4.61, not quite the 4.5 (or less) that he promised.

2.  kujo says:

Patricia Traina ?@Patricia_Traina
    As @JennyVrentas reported, Tolly on Giants radar, but not likely to be added until after 6/1, when post June 1 cap space becomes available.

re-post:

Pace Pat Traina (who I agree is the best out there), but while I fully agree with the “veteran stopgaps” for 1-3 years and simultaneously build through the draft, I also think they sometimes retard the growth of the youngsters by doing that. For example, I think we should have seen more of Paysinger last season because when he had opportunities he did make plays. The “veteran linebackers” were at the same time being consistently abused. I would have liked to see a bit more of Will Hill (although when healthy they did blend him into the scheme to some extent) too.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think this is a huge problem. The coaches do tend to play those who are ready, but I believe they could err on the side of trying the younger players a bit more. And now, when a player like Robinson should be ready to take the position at tight end if he’s as good as advertised, I don’t want them going out and grabbing a veteran tight end who is a C+/B- player and making him the incumbent going into camp. I don’t want them going out and getting a mediocre, old, linebacker who will enter camp higher on the depth chart than Herzlich and Paysinger just because he’s “experienced”. And I don’t want a collection of guys like Ross and TT to induce them NOT to grab a top corner with the #19 pick when I think either Rhodes or Trufant, if available, could take this secondary over the top and make a HUGE difference in the quality of the defense in combination with strengthening the soft middle that the Giants had in 2012 (which doesn’t get solved simply via signing Rogers and Jenkins, both of which I favored).

God, not Dave Tollefson again. If none of Tracy, Ojomo, nor Broha can beat that guy out then something’s wrong.

I know Dan disagrees, but I believe Kiwi should shift to DE where he can be in the rotation with JPP, Tuck, and probably Ojomo (with Jenkins fully capable of playing there too if called upon on occasion). I assume they will also draft a defensive end (they need to groom one because they could lose Kiwi and Tuck after this season). There should be no room on the roster for Tollefson. He’s a mediocre talent. At veteran minimum, and counting only $440,000 against the cap I could live with him, but just barely. And if he’s here it would be because we have a problem with our defensive end rotation, which would be very bad news.

•  kujo says:

Would love to find enough quality at linebacker to allow us to have Kiwi’s hand in the dirt more. But that will necessitate a significantly higher draft expenditure than has been made of late (Sintim aside), the acquisition of a “stopgap” at either the strongside or in the middle, and significant developments out of all 3 of Paysinger, Herzlich and Williams. I recognize that you have high hopes for this Musau guy, but I can’t imagine he is in play for anything other than a special teams spot.

You’re right, but I’m clinging to the idea that we somehow manage to get one of Brown, Ogletree and Bostic, all of whom I like. And a talent like Kiwi is wasted at a position that is only on the field for half the snaps on defense and where many plays won’t even really engage him. Perhaps he becomes a “swing” guy who is played sometimes standing up and sometimes with his hand in the dirt, or perhaps Fewell gets truly creative and starts loading his front with five or six guys standing and the offense cannot know who is coming and who isn’t. But I’m not counting on Perry Fewell to suddenly become a defensive genius after two years of observation.

As for Mausau, the reason I have hope for him is based upon nothing but his size/speed. He has the athletic requirements to play MLB. So do lots of guys who never get a sniff of the field. I have no idea which he will be. But I hope he’s at least capable of backing up the starter in the middle. I think that’s what the Giants are looking for with him.

•  kujo says:

I agree with that first paragraph for sure, and would be ecstatic if we were to land one of those three, or Nico Johnson. I’m just not getting my hopes up.

5.  kujo says:

Ralph Vacchiano ?@RVacchianoNYDN
    RB Ryan Torain’s contract with the Giants was, as expected, for one year and it gives him a $715,000 salary for 2013.

6.  kujo says:

I’m with Valid–I think there is better than average chance that we draft a defensive end at #19. I cannot, for the life of me, understand where the love and trust that Ojomo and Tracy are getting on here, and elsewhere, nor do I understand how anything we saw out of them last preseason would nullify the greater contributions we would very likely see out of a top tier DE prospect like Ansah, Bjoern Werner or Damontre Moore. I just don’t see it, particularly when you factor in the fact that Tuck has been slowly declining, Osi is almost surely a goner, and Kiwi is shackled to the linebackers because of how terrible that unit currently–and always–is.

I’m not 100% sold on it, but I’m telling you that it’s not nearly as crazy as it might have sounded a few months ago. We’ve got our left tackle, we’ve added depth at corner and defensive tackle, and we are almost certainly not going to draft an interior lineman. You always hear about the BPA approach, particularly as it pertains to Reese in the 1st round. But when you survey the landscape, can you really say that the bread and butter of our defense–the pass rush–couldn’t use another infusion of talent?

•  F0XLIN says:

Tracy never flashed too much to me but Ojomo has. Obviously some of it was vs 2nd and 3rd stringers in pre season but it was also vs starters. He was a classic Reese pick up, flashed at DE at Miami and then moved to DT his junior season where he didn’t put up big numbers. Raw project but great athleticism, I’m really excited to see him this season

•  kujo says:

When did Ojomo do all of this flashing? I watch every single Giants game–preseason, regular season, postseason– and discuss it, ad nauseum, on Giants 101, Twitter and the comment sections of several of the beat writers. For the life of me, I cannot remember seeing anything but a couple of decent plays against some nobodies last August.

•  F0XLIN says:

For starters at the U he played 1 full seaosn at DE with 5 sacks in 2010. 2009 he sat out with a jaw injury and 2011 moved to DT.

4 sacks and like I said vs 2nd and 3rd stringers, but when given the opportunity he took advantage of it

•  kujo says:

…took advantage of it versus the Future Greeters at Piggly Wiggly squad.

I’m not saying the guy is trash, but he’s currently going to be our 3rd defensive end, a significant player who will be getting significant playing time. Has he earned it? Is he ready of it? Does he have the goods? I just don’t think those are the sure things they’re being spoken of around here.

•  Valid says:

Agreed, kujo. And we all know how much the Giants love to draft defensive ends. The possibility is certainly there.

7.  Levito says:

“We’re getting the band back together”

8.  The Original G Man says:

Snee’s number is alarming:

Via Ralph …

Seems to me, #NYG need more salary cap space. Where can they find it? Here’s a look at their biggest cap numbers:

From NFLPA records, for 2013 …

1. Eli Manning … $20.85 million
    2. Chris Snee … $11 million
    3. Antrel Rolle … $9.25 million
    4. David Diehl … $6.903 million
    5. Justin Tuck … $6.15 million
    6. Corey Webster … $5.345 million **
    7. David Baas … $4.725 million **
    8. Mathias Kiwanuka … $4.125 million **
    9. Hakeem Nicks … $3.755 million
    10. Will Beatty … $3.55 million ****

** already restructured to lower cap number

**** signed new contract before start of free agency

(NOTE: Salary cap numbers are NOT just salary, nor are they the total money a player is receiving this year. It’s a combination of salary pro-rated bonuses and other factors). 29 minutes ago

•  kujo says:

Jesus Christ….the top 4 all need to be restructured/forced to take a paycut.

Diehl … he’s got to have pictures of Coughlin on spring break or something.

•  jfunk says:

Diehl is not playing this season on that contract, stop worrying about. It will be renegotiated.

All of those top 4 can be redone at any time, with Snee unfortunately being the possible exception.

His cap number is huge, but he also is in decline and talking about retirement. That makes it difficult to renegotiate him the “easy” way of converting salary into bonus, because that just makes his equally stifling future cap numbers worse. Being that he has the look of a player we don’t want to actually extend, that creates a problem.

I expect the Giants will TRY to get by this year without touching Snee’s contract so it becomes palatable to cut him (or have him retire) after this season. If we renegotiate him now, that will be VERY painful next season.

• Anthony Raiaaxr29 says:

If they restructure pushing his numbers into future years and he retires, it comes off the cap no?

•  kujo says:

Correct. It will either be a pure paycut or he’ll be released. Or he’ll earn every penny of that salary, which looks increasingly likely.

•  jfunk says:

No, you still take the hit just like you cut them with the obvious exception of not owing them any future guaranteed salary (because they’re the one that forfeited it). I believe there may be some kind of exception where you’re allowed to break it up over two years (like a June 1st cut) to soften the blow, but you DO pay it either way.

Doesn’t matter right now because 2014 is Snee’s last year on contract.

Right now, NEXT year’s cap number is $9M with $7M in that being cut-able non-guaranteed salary. So if we just pay him this year, we can cut him next and only suffer a $2M cap hit.

If we renegotiate, that $9M AND $2M climb by half of whatever cap money we recoup this year.

•  TheCatch says:

Once Snee retires I expect him to hook up with TC’s publisher. Playing for his Father-in-law has to add a twist to a career, with two trips to the Super Bowl ….

I thought that F55 was always too hard on Wosi but now it’s time to move on. He’s not the answer and just depth. We are better off having tying a young guy at DE.

But I’m gathering this DE talk comes from the thought that we need to keep Kiwi at SLB because we have no one there. Sorry but Kiwi is just a JAG at SLB and we are wasting him there. We can sign a guy like Brinkley and get the same production we get from Kiwi at SLB. But at DE to replace Kiwi’s prensence would require a lot more of an investment. Playing Kiwi at SLB made sense the past 3 years because of our great depth at DE. But now Osi is gone and replacing him is expensive free agent wise or draft wise. Kiwi is our cheapest option because he’s being paid the same regardless and replacing his production at SLB is fairly easy.

1 2 3 4