New York Giants Bringing in Free-Agent Safety Ryan Mundy for Visit

March 13th, 2013 at 5:00 PM
By Paul Tierney

With Kenny Phillips' impending departure via free agency, the New York Giants have a void to fill at safety. The hope is that last season's breakout star Stevie Brown signs a contract stay in New York for at least one more season. Given that the team has placed a second-round tender on Brown, it's likely the Giants will find a way to retain his services in 2013. However, today, the Giants will bring in former Pittsburgh Steelers safety and free-agent Ryan Mundy for a visit.

Mundy played four seasons in Pittsburgh and started five games during that time span. Although his statistics do not jump off the page, Mundy has a respectable combination of size, athleticism and is a physical player against the run. He's spent the majority of his career behind safeties Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu, which did not provide him ample opportunities to put his skills on display.

The Giants interest in Mundy raises questions about the team's confidence in safety Will Hill and Stevie Brown. Brown intercepted eight passes last season and broke the franchise record for interception return yards. Hill showed promise last season, as he portrayed a physical style of play during Kenny Phillips' absence. If the Giants sign Mundy, there would be an open competition for a starting safety role and the third safety position.

Not only would singing Mundy create a competition at safety once training camp comes around, it would likely mean the end of Tyler Sash's time as a Giant. Theoretically, Sash could compete with Hill for the fourth safety role, which is usually just a player who contributes on special teams. However, Hill's ability to cover the slot receiver and act as a nickel cornerback in a variety of packages would undoubtedly vault him ahead of Sash on the depth chart.

The Giants have made a series of low-profile, yet productive signings this week. As the team continues to clear salary cap space, we may see more free-agent signings on the way. However, this is not an organization that prides itself on flashy free-agent acquisitions. The draft, along with player development will be where we see improvement on this roster in 2013. There will be more free-agent singings to come, just don't expect them to turn any heads.

Tags: Football, Kenny Phillips, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Steelers, Stevie Brown, Troy Polamalu, Tyler Sash, Will Hill

50 Responses to “New York Giants Bringing in Free-Agent Safety Ryan Mundy for Visit”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

good depth.

I like it.

2.  Begiant says:

BigBlueGiant says:

March 13, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Brady has only Gronk and hernandez to throw too?

C’mon., you guys are sleeping. Cruz is a goner.
    ————
    LMAO, I am sorry but there is no way the Patriots give us a first rounder AND pony up the longterm contract to victor Cruz…just stop.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

yeah? Tell me..

you think Brady isn’t yelling down Kraft’s throat right now after taking a pay cut for the team? And then NOT signing his favorite target?

Him and Bellichek are probably screaming to pay Cruz.

•  Begiant says:

Cmon man…they have the middle locked down with an army of TEs and they are not going to let welker walk so they can get Cruz for more and a first rounder.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Also, why wouldnt they pony up for Cruz? he’s more athletic, younger and craftier than Welker.

I think you’re underestimating what they need right now.

•  TroyThorne says:

I think you’re underestimating Tom Brady and the Patriots. When have they ever had a great receiving corps? They had Randy Moss for that one year and then Welker. Gronk and Hernandez probably make up the 2nd best receiving group Brady has ever had by themselves.

Also, there’s this thing in April…

You’re forgetting that teams value their drafts picks. Seattle is the exception and not the rule. Having to give up that pick and pay someone like Cruz makes a huge difference when a quality option is available like Amendola.

3.  TroyThorne says:

Mundy is an absolute trainwreck and I’d be stunned if he made the team. No, he’s not “good competition” or “good depth” he’s CC Brown levels of terrible who got benched after a few games of starting even when the Steelers were super thin at safety.

If you don’t believe me, ask any Steelers fan around. I have some friends who are die-hard Pittsburgh fans and the rants they went on regarding this guys inability to play football were hysterical. I remember one in particular where after he got benched for the 900 year old Will Allen, he had to come in on special teams because someone got hurt. He completely whiffed on his assignment and his man ended up blocking the punt.

Seriously, this guy is Pitt’s CC Brown. No thank you.

•  BillyS says:

Let’s not say anything we can’t take back. I’m sure he’s not as bad as CC Brown was. I won’t really chime in whether he’d be good or not because I don’t know much about him. I like depth, but there are probably some better names out there.

4.  Begiant says:

RichCimini Rich Cimini
    Kerry Rhodes (released by Cards) to the #Jets? Better chance of them re-signing Damien Robinson.

5.  BigBlueGiant says:

Pats now how 15 mil in cap space.

questions?

they only pay brady and TEs

But seriously they don’t have a depth of quality players they have to pay. They are actually losing quite a few players. Their RT Vollmer is still a free agent, then they lost Chung, Welker and Thomas their guard.

•  giantsfan says:

BBG, you asked me in the previous thread who Brady is gonna throw to aside from Gronk and Hernandez.

Let me ask you this, who did Brady throw to aside from Welker when Moss was reduced to a pedestrian?

I think the article raises the bigger point about how the team feels about Brown and Hill. Why even look at a back up safety? We have Sash, TT and/or a draft pick for depth if we felt good about our top 3 safeties. But I guess competition can’t hurt. There are much better safety options that are probably reasonably priced.

7.  Begiant says:

Clarence Hill ?@clarencehilljr
    The Cowboys have cut Marcus Spears @mspear96 who announced it on twitter with class. It saves them $1.3 million off the salary cap.

Can’t believe the Pats wouldn’t pay Welker $6 mil a year. Something is really wrong there.

What the hell are the Giants doing? Some of these recent rumors, and visits, are ridiculous. They should call it what people called the stiffs that the great Joe Louis used to fight when he needed the cash: The Bum of the Month Club. But now it’s the Bum of the Hour.

Tollefson being talked to? Mundy? Working out Greene while he’s talking going in the first round? Pretty soon we’ll hear they want to bring CC Brown back because he’s cheap. Please, stop the madness.

And just btw, Mundy isn’t close to as good as Hill and Brown. I have no idea what the team is doing, but I don’t much like it.

But in reality we are going to have a 90 man roster so there will be players that we sign that get cut. Remember signed guys like Molden and Thomas last year. If we are paying the vet minimum as I suspect it isn’t hurting us cap wise. Most of these type of players won’t make the team or be deep backups. But Steve Brown was a similar signing so you never know.

•  TroyThorne says:

Except Stevie Brown had never played before and was thus unknown. Mundy has had plenty of playing time and all of it has been beyond horrible. Major difference there.

But I agree with your first statement. If Mundy is signed it’s because they need another camp body and he won’t make it past the first round of cuts. Guaranteed.

That’s my point if you’re right he gets cut. Simple, no harm no foul. And it’s not hurting reps for young guys because we will have 90 bodies regardless. We cut Ballard just to make sure we had 90 able bodies last year.

•  giantsfan says:

I’m not really convinced Stevie Brown is the answer for our Safety for long term to be honest.

He definitely had the knack for the ball last season. No question about that. But I think half of his INTs were terribly thrown balls and deflections. But my biggest point is that Kenny Phillips hinted at that Brown had a lot of balls thrown his way because he was out of position. That makes me think that he was blowing coverages. KP doesn’t seem like the guy that would knock another player’s play for no reason. So I think there is probably some truth in that.

I hope Brown does turn into a gem, but I’m not convinced. I’m not very comfortable with him starting alongside Rolle.

Brown may well not be the answer, but Will Hill probably is just what we need. And there is enough talk of Terrell Thomas going to safety that it may be true. Then Brown is the #4 guy and we’re golden. I think we’re likely to either draft a safety or pick one up among the UDFAs too.

•  Valid says:

KP was always upset with the Giants organization, so I’m not going to put any stock into what he says about a fellow safety that he thinks may have been pushing him out.

Not saying you’re wrong; I’m just saying I don’t think we should be necessarily be listening to Phillips’ assessment of Brown, who I actually think is a flat out stud.

Yeah, but they already have about 70 under contract. Add eight rookies. Add at least 3-4 cheap free agents they will sign who may really be able to help if they don’t solve a problem during the draft. Add about 4-6 UDFAs, at least. They’re already pretty close to the 90 they want at camp.

I just don’t understand looking at every bum who comes down the pike.

And unless they’re looking at Greene as a third-round pick if he gets to us there, he’s a waste of time.

•  KingAndrewXXIII says:

I agree that Greene shouldn’t go higher than the third round…but as you know, the NFL, especially this time of year is one big chess match. The league knows we need LB’s. Why not check out one in our own backyard?

10.  Begiant says:

The Giants need to address our problems at LB. I am fine with letting Blackburn find a better deal because while well versed in our system he is what he is. I would like to look at some FA LBers because we have no proven guy on our roster.