Linebacker Jasper Brinkley Visiting with New York Giants

March 13th, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Still in desperate need of depth at the position, the New York Giants will host linebacker Jasper Brinkley today, reports Adam Caplan of Sirius XM Radio.

Brinkley, a fifth-round pick of the Minnesota Vikings in the 2009 NFL Draft, had been a reserve leading up to the 2012 season. Finally given the opportunity to see some significant playing time, Brinkley responded with 97 tackles, three forced fumbles and two passes defended.

With the exception of 2011, when he missed the season due to a fluke hip injury, the linebacker has been relatively dependable, playing in all 48 games (2009-2010, 2012).

With Chase Blackburn likely leaving via free agency (Dallas Cowboys have expressed interest) and Mark Herzlich and Jake Muasau the only two middle linebackers left on the roster, Brinkley could come in and compete for the starting job. And although his numbers and NFL career have been relatively unspectacular to this point, he's a solid talent who could provide depth at a position of need.

Still, Brinkley isn't a field general, he's not able to call plays and he won't improve the position. He'd merely be a quality body adding depth and competition at middle linebacker.

photo credit: rburtzel via photopin cc

Tags: Football, Jasper Brinkley, Minnesota, Minnesota Vikings, New York, New York Giants, NFL

27 Responses to “Linebacker Jasper Brinkley Visiting with New York Giants”

1.  percellovesgiants says:

Man!!!!! What about karlos dansby??!!

Arthur Brown puts up impressive Pro Day results!

6’1″ 240

4.58 to 4.62 in the forty yard dash

32.5″ vertical jump

21 reps

This is actually bad news for us unless we draft him with our 1st rounder. With these numbers him making in to our 2nd round pick doesn’t look good.

3.  PittsburghJim says:

If he’s there, Alec Ogletree will be a Giant.

I think all this “manuevering” sets us up to (finally) get an LB in Rd 1.

Either that or a really good placekicker.

Jasper Brinkley is probably fairly cheap and could be one of 2 LB additions. We normally carry at least 6-7 LBs. We have 3 LBs returning from last year’s roster. We also have Muasau but that’s still only 4 LBs if we are moving Kiwi to DE like most of us feel we should. And that’s 4 LBs none who were starters last year. So while I believe in giving the young guys a chance I think we do need some vet help as well. I’m think we add 2 vets even if one is not of the Dansby caliber and draft a LB. That give us 6 LBs who will be on the roster. Then we have Muasau battling other undrafted free agent LBs for the last spot. Maybe the young guys are good enough that we even cut one of the vet signings. But we need some vet LB bodies and many of us want to see some fresh faces. Rivers returning is ok but I think it’s time to move on from Chase.

Brinkley is the classic 2-down LB. No excitement here.

I think they’re committed to the nickel and dime sets and have at least two LBers in Williams and Paysinger who could be the single linebacker or the two linebackers in those sets. They’re going to draft a three-down linebacker in all likelihood. So they can still bring in a two-down guy.

Personally, I like Smith from Jacksonville, but I’ll trust Reese.

This is what John Mara said on Monday, before TBU signed with Bears

“We’ve got a couple of young kids we’re excited about in Adrien Robinson and Larry Donnell,” Mara said. “We’ll work with them. And Bear Pascoe will be back and there’s always the draft, so there are ways to replace Bennett. Martellus is a very good player and we’d like to have him back. But you can’t have everybody back.”

I don’t think he was bluffing. People here underestimate Pascoe, who is a perfectly adequate #2 tight end in the NFL given the Giants’ scheme. And Donnell is a big kid who is very athletic (I think I remember hearing he was at one time a quarterback) and if he fills out he could be a monster. He’s over 6’6″ but I think weighs only about 260. He could get 20-25 pounds bigger and be a force.

And anyone who thinks we were going to pay $5MM per year to Bennett was crazy. I’ll bet we were talking to him around $3.5MM.

I disagree about Pascoe. I think like Blackburn you can get by with him but he’s not a player you should feel comfortable with as a 2nd TE. But that’s a minor worry, my main worry is that Pascoe starts the year as our #1 TE.

Donnell is listed at 270 and I remember hearing good things about him. He beat out the PS TE we were high on last year so he might have some promise.

I have concern about our TE position but I’m not going crazy because if we can survive going into the year with an unproven Ballard and Pascoe at TE we can succeed with anyone. We are in a much better position even today than going into 2007. There are also several mid to late round TEs that fit our profile.

The Bear is the very definition of ‘a guy’. He can play … in that everyone on an NFL team ‘can play’. But he’s an easy upgrade with a ceiling a midget would hit his head on.

•  demo3356 says:

“People here underestimate Pascoe, who is a perfectly adequate #2 tight end”
          A perfectly adequate #2 tight end??? In what the UFL? AFL? Conference USA? Guy is a STIFF!

•  JimStoll says:

true true
        giants don’t utilize and hence value TE’s the way teams like the Pats and Niners do

7. Anthony Raiaaxr29 says:

With those pro day numbers I find it hard to believe that Arthur Brown will be there when we pick in the 2nd. Would probably need to trade up in the 2nd or take him round 1.

Those numbers are no surprise. That kid is a football player. And he’s more than the numbers. He’s a team leader and an instinctive linebacker. He has a chance to be a really fine NFL player. He’s exactly the kind of linebacker the Giants have not had for years: a guy with athleticism, instincts, aggression and moxie. He’d be a great “get” for us but I agree, unless we trade up I think he winds up elsewhere.

• Anthony Raiaaxr29 says:

Worthy of going 19?

He’d be in the conversation. But we’re not taking a LB in the first unless he’s special.

Probably not, but you never know. I see other options that seem better to me, but Reese is going to “fill a need” with that first pick and if he hasn’t found a strong-side guy in free agency and they do plan to move Kiwi to DE (which I think they should because I don’t want to count on Tuck) then Brown will be a real possibility at #19, or they might trade down 4-7 picks and then grab him then or by trading up in the second by using the extra pick they got by moving down in the first plus their #48 pick to move up to where he could be had.

As some “color” for the Cruz debate take a look at what just happened to a great General Manager in Ozzie Newsome coming off a championship. Did he want to lose his linebackers? Did he really want to dump Boldin? No. But when another team decides that one of your guys is the “critical piece” that they must have you have to have the discipline to refuse to chase rainbows while completely screwing up your cap situation. Was Ellerbee worth $35MM? Not in my opinion (or Newsome’s). Was he worth that to a GM in the last year of his contract and under orders to get his team into the competition for a conference championship in a clearly weak conference in 2013? Apparently. A smart GM cannot compete with that.

So we come to Cruz and the Giants. Both sides would like to make a deal that keeps him here. The Giants want to pay him less than #1 receiver money. Cruz wants more. The Giants probably figure that while someone might make a run at him the chances are at least decent that they won’t be able to justify paying him #1 receiver money while also sacrificing a first-round draft pick. If someone decides Cruz is the guy they have to have (and a few teams out there might) then everything changes. Reese and Mara cannot compete if a team decides they MUST have Cruz (and both New England and Minnesota might well decide just that; San Francisco might too). The teams that must have him can produce an offer the Giants simply do not have the cap room to match, and then it’s an easy decision: Cruz is gone.

My view is that the two sides would have to work hard to reach a deal BEFORE any team puts a specific offer on the table, because once it’s there the Giants have to match or lose the player, and they cannot match a first-year salary of $7MM or more. The question is whether Mara and Reese are content to wait this out hoping no team jumps at Cruz because of the total expense of doing so, but okay with coming out of it with an extra first-round pick or having Cruz at $2.9MM with plenty of time to work out a long-term deal but also time to see what they’ve got in Randle and their #4-5 receivers in order to assess their need for Cruz. I’m guessing it’s the latter, but we’ll all know in a few days.

9.  BillyS says:

Brinkley is so-so. He’s neither good nor terrible. I’d personally rather go after Karlos Dansby, but he’ll probably command more money than Brinkley would. As for the draft, even though I hate his off the field antics, I think Ogletree is far and away the best fit at LB for us in the 1st round. I will probably cry if we wound up drafting T’eo and his imaginary girlfriend.

10.  demo3356 says: