Karlos Dansby’s Father Says New York Giants “In the Mix” for His Son

March 13th, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Karlos Dansby's father, Samuel Dansby, told FOX Sports Floridaon on Wednesday that the New York Giants are among several teams "in the mix to sign" to his son. They are allegedly competing with the Atlanta Falcons and Baltimore Ravens, who have been in complete fire-sale mode since free agency started on Tuesday.

With Michael Boley having been released and Chase Blackburn getting looks as a free agent in Dallas, the Giants have a clear and glaring need at linebacker. We know it and they know it, which is why they had Jasper Brinkley in for a visit on Wednesday and had Rutgers' Khaseem Greene in for a private workout. It's also why it makes sense they would be in on veteran linebacker Karlos Dansby.

Drafted in the second-round of the 2004 NFL Draft, Dansby spent the first six years of his career with the Arizona Cardinals before being signed by the Miami Dolphins as a free agent in 2010. The Giants had also pursued Dansby that year before he took his talents to South Beach.

The now 31-year-old linebacker, who was released earlier this week, had a career year in 2012, collecting a personal best 134 tackles, adding a sack and nine passes defended. And although some will suggest he's lost a step, Dansby proved there's still a lot of gas left in the tank.

For the right price and the right amount of years, Dansby is likely the best fit Big Blue will find this offseason.

Tags: Football, Karlos Dansby, New York, New York Giants, NFL

34 Responses to “Karlos Dansby’s Father Says New York Giants “In the Mix” for His Son”

1.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Dan – do you know how much cap space we’ve got left? Would love to sign Dansby…but money has got to be getting tight…and we still have to lock up the draft class.

2.  Begiant says:

There are like 5-6 teams trying to get him

We are not getting him…if only though haha

3.  Begiant says:

The numbers on WR Danny Amendola’s deal with the Pats: five years, $31 million with $10 million guaranteed, per @RapSheet
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
    —————-

This and Welkers contract set the market for slot receivers.

•  Chad Eldred says:

Considering he’s more fragile than Waterford crystal, that’s a nice deal for him. Cruz is justified in expecting considerably more.

•  Begiant says:

Being a slot receiver and these guys being some of the top slot guys out there I can see Cruz coming down to earth at 6.5 million per. I would not even mind giving him over 10 mil guaranteed for a five year deal.

•  Chad Eldred says:

If I were Cruz, I’d hold out before I took anything close to what Amendola got. That would be an insult considering what he has done the last two years and what he still has ahead of him.

•  Begiant says:

He is a slot receiver…not trying to hate but cmon…Welker has posted 100 catch seasons and got 6 mil. I think his role is worth more than that…Hartline got 30 mil easy but Davone Bess got around 9 mil…the markets are just not as big for the slot guys.

4.  Chad Eldred says:

I’m not of the school of thought that all of our answers at LB are currently on the roster. Aside from Williams I’m not really excited about anyone. That includes Paysinger, who has yet to impress me. Also, I still don’t consider Kiwi a LB and wish that we could abandon the LB thing for him. While it wasn’t an abject failure, it’s a misallocation of his skills. That being said, I’m not sure that we really need to go in the direction of an aging Dansby for help either. He’s on the wrong side of 30 and won’t be any better than many of the cheaper scraps that will be available between now and the beginning of the season.

•  Begiant says:

TBH Kiwi was not that impressive at DE last year. I don’t really remember any stand out performances aside from the San fran game. I think he should stay in the role he is in. The role switching is killing him. As for Dansby it depends on the length and the amount of the contract.

•  Dirt says:

When has Kiwi ever been impressive at DE?

•  Chad Eldred says:

Given that we have to face RG3, and provided we make the playoffs, potentially SF and Seattle, it would be usefull to have DE’s that can move quickly along the line of scrimmage. I feel more comfortable with him moving laterally as a DE. Just my opinion. Kiwi is not the type of LB we need to be competitive agains the trendy offenses.

But his father … Dracula Dansby … said we’re in the mix !!!

5.  Begiant says:

I hope we are negotiating with KP. I would love him back.

Seattle bags Avril.

7.  Dirt says:

Dan Benton says:
    March 13, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    Brown is 68.1% from 40+. Not comforting.

—-

Great news, as Tynes was 66.2% from 40+

8.  BillyS says:

I want Dansby in the worst way considering what else is available. But not if it means overpaying for him. He’s got a few teams that are interested and that means that his price tag is going up. If it’s a reasonable (and short) contract then I think he’ll be the perfect fit. He’s not the best in coverage (but serviceable), and he’s a sure tackler. Then add in the intangibles and experience…I think he’s a good fit.

As for the Amendola contract…I think Cruz is going to wind up getting like $7.5 mil a year when all is said and done. He’s better than Amendola, plus Amendola is extremely fragile. Cruz has taken big hits and walked it off. He also has youth on his side. I think Cruz can wind up hitting $40-45 mil with about $14 mil of that guaranteed.

9.  Dirt says:

jfunk was going off today about cutting Snee. That would be cold as ice, Charlie Murphy! But Reese is just the guy to it.

I just don’t think he will, this year anyway, because from a football perspective, this 2013 team is OK with Snee.

But I agree he won’t be restructured. That only compounds the issue.

And I think we get Cruz and Phillips.

10.  TroyThorne says:

Dansby is just ok to me. Got a lot of tackles but didn’t make many behind the LOS, had only 1 sack, no INTs, no FFs, no defensive TDs, etc. He was just kinda there. Not a guy I would spend a lot of time pursuing personally because I see him as just ok.

•  BillyS says:

Well, that’s really all he is right now. He’s a run support guy. He won’t penetrate or break up passes or anything, but he’ll play the run really well. I still view him as an upgrade to Blackburn in almost every category, thus I find him an overall upgrade. I’d still love to draft a stud LB if available — preferably Ogletree.

•  G-MenFan says:

Yes, he’s OK. And he would instantly be our best linebacker.