Could you imagine linebacker Chase Blackburn with a star on his helmet? It could happen if he's not re-signed by the New York Giants, as the Dallas Cowboys are one of a few teams expressing interest in the veteran.
With only an estimated $180,000 in cap space, the Cowboys would have to cut players or restructure more contracts in order to be able to afford Blackburn (or anyone for that matter), so it could give the Giants time to reconsider their offer and potentially prevent one of their own from defecting to Jerry World.
Although the Giants and Blackburn were unable to finalize a new deal, the two sides had been talking right up until the start of free agency. It's not clear how far apart they were, or if the Giants even made an official offer, but the team was open about wanting to re-sign him.
The Cowboys had expressed interest in Blackburn a year ago as well, but instead signed former Penn State linebacker Dan Connor. They've now come full circle, having released Connor on Monday.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1 Giants 101 on Google+
- Looking for 2013 NFL Draft news? Follow On The Clock 101 on Twitter and like On The Clock 101 on Facebook
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- New York Giants Will Look to Re-Sign Linebacker Chase Blackburn
- New York Giants, Chase Blackburn Unable to Finalize New Deal; Linebacker Will Hit Open Market
- Three of the New York Giants’ Seven Losses Haunt Linebacker Chase Blackburn
- New York Giants Keep or Dump: Chase Blackburn
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/r77