Dallas Cowboys Considering a Run at Linebacker Chase Blackburn

March 13th, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Could you imagine linebacker Chase Blackburn with a star on his helmet? It could happen if he's not re-signed by the New York Giants, as the Dallas Cowboys are one of a few teams expressing interest in the veteran.

With only an estimated $180,000 in cap space, the Cowboys would have to cut players or restructure more contracts in order to be able to afford Blackburn (or anyone for that matter), so it could give the Giants time to reconsider their offer and potentially prevent one of their own from defecting to Jerry World.

Although the Giants and Blackburn were unable to finalize a new deal, the two sides had been talking right up until the start of free agency. It's not clear how far apart they were, or if the Giants even made an official offer, but the team was open about wanting to re-sign him.

The Cowboys had expressed interest in Blackburn a year ago as well, but instead signed former Penn State linebacker Dan Connor. They've now come full circle, having released Connor on Monday.

In addition to Blackburn, Dallas is keeping a close eye on offensive lineman Matt Slauson, whom the Giants may also target.

Tags: Chase Blackburn, Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

9 Responses to “Dallas Cowboys Considering a Run at Linebacker Chase Blackburn”

1.  wrdag says:

Dan, wow two articles before 7:30? Great job during these heavy news flow days. It says a lot when I come to G101 for all my updates rather than the big boys like SI or ESPN. Suggestion on theses big news days can you scroll the “recent headlines” because its a pain to use the archives at the end of the work day to get caught up.

2.  The Original G Man says:

Browns signed Quentin Groves.

Two words Chase … Dave Tollefson.

•  Dirt says:

Yeah, I saw your post earlier, couldn’t agree more. I said the same, less eloquently, about Hixon last night.

4.  Dirt says:

We are effed if Blackburn takes his plodding play to the Big D!

5.  The Original G Man says:

From Peter King’s mailbag yesterday:

“What do you think will happen with Victor Cruz? He is certainly the best slot receiver available and for teams like St. Louis and San Francisco, with multiple first-round picks, losing a 1st might not be prohibitively expensive. I am not sure why the Giants are in such a salary cap mess but how can they possibly commit more than $10 million per year to Cruz? Given Hakeem Nicks’ injury troubles and despite his enormous talent, I think most Giants fans would prefer Cruz over Nicks.

–Barry Siegel, Philadelphia

I don’t think Cruz leaves, because I don’t think a team is going to want to pay a first-round draft pick plus untenable money to get him. Remember, the offer the team would have to give would be a heavy one, at least $9 million a year, plus the loss of a first-round pick. That’s a lot for Cruz, and I’m a guy who loves Cruz. I think he’ll end up staying with the Giants, but at their price.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130312/peter-king-free-agency/#ixzz2NQ7BkhJL

6.  turkish says:

Bennett to Bears is an awful choice for the Unicorn. He needs to be on a team with tight discipline. Cutler is going to drive him mad.

I’ve also read the plan on using him more on the outside as opposed to blocking which is a huge mistake considering he is one of the best in the game as a blocking TE.

Happy for the guy getting $$$ though.

7.  Chad Eldred says:

It’s strange reading that someone is going to make a “run” at Blackburn. Brisk walk is even a stretch. I wish the guy luck wherever he goes, he’s a solid individual. How many MLB’s can say they picked off Tom Brady in the Super Bowl?