New York Giants Have Expressed Interest in DeAngelo Hall

March 12th, 2013 at 5:57 PM

From the land of "who could have seen that coming?" the New York Giants are one of several teams reportedly interested in free agent defensive back DeAngelo Hall, reports Dan Hellie of NBC Sports.

'DeAngelo Hall' photo (c) 2012, Keith Allison - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

Hall, released only a day ago, has also received interest from the New England Patriots, Detroit Lions, Dallas Cowboys, Atlanta Falcons, Minnesota Vikings and Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The Giants have been highly focused on their secondary, with a look also given to Charles Woodson in addition to Tuesday's signing of cornerback Aaron Ross. It's a clear indicator they are concerned with the health of Terrell Thomas, the play of Corey Webster and the status of free agent Kenny Phillips.

Giants 101 will keep you updates as more information becomes available.

Tags: DeAngelo Hall, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

20 Responses to “New York Giants Have Expressed Interest in DeAngelo Hall”

1.  James Stoll says:

How much will they pay so he’ll stop jmping Eli?

2.  TroyThorne says:

Yikes, I hope this isn’t true. Overrated aging player with a bad attitude.

3.  BillyS says:

I want nothing to do with Hall. I’d rather save the money for Cruz and Nicks. I get that we need some depth in the secondary, but I’d rather go with someone who provides value. Aaron Ross was a start. He’s a veteran guy and at a dirt cheap price. You can’t go wrong with that. If he plays above what he did last year then it’s a bargain, if not then he’ll be replaced. Hall, on the other hand, is not going to sign for the minimum. He’s going to get a decent contract and I just don’t think he’s worth it at all. He’s not terrible, but it’d be a waste of cap space in my eyes. Hell, I’d rather keep Phillips if we’re just going to chuck money out there. Hall isn’t worth it.

4.  Kevros says:

I can’t imagine they would actually sign him. It’s gotta be a “due diligence” inquiry…

•  BillyS says:

Maybe they’re just using him to get a feel as to what the DB market will be like. Signing him is a waste of resources plus the guy flat out does not like us…this is one of the cases where there’s too much personality. They need to stay away from him.

5.  GmenMania says:

A couple thoughts:

1. Sad to see Bennett go, but we were never going to keep him if his price was any higher than we offered. So I’m not surprised. On to the next tight end.

2. I think bringing Ross back is a good move, gives us cheap death, and he’s someone who knows the playbook very well.

3. Slauson would be a good signing if he came cheap. OK guard, just about average. Could be the new Boothe “super-sub”.

•  BillyS says:

I agree with all of that. I don’t think Bennett was really going to stay because I think he felt we were going to offer him a lot, but in reality he was just a stop gap. As for Slauson…I actually wouldn’t hate the move. He’s not all that much of a run blocker, but he provides pretty good pass protection. We could do worse than him. Ideally we’d keep Boothe, but I think he’s going to price himself out of our range.

Hall’s agent is busy planting rumors I see.

7.  shmitty013 says:

The Dolphins are tossing money around and overpaying all over the place. They started by giving Hartline $6.5M a year when he’s a #2 WR at best. I actually like Hartline because he’s an Ohio State guy, but he’s not worth that. Now today they give Wallace $13M a year and Ellerbe $7M a year.

•  TroyThorne says:

They have plenty of money available since Jake Long, Sean Smith, and Reggie Bush are all coming off the books. They were pretty desperate for a #1 WR for their new QB Tannehill so the Wallace signing doesn’t surprise me at all.

Agreed. over paying like crazy!

8.  Chad Eldred says:

Don’t discount this possibility. I’m willing to bet this story has legs. Wouldn’t be surprised to see this happen. I would have been surprised if it had not come up.

•  Kevros says:

Really? We just signed Ross and restructured Cweb. Prince and Hosley are young and not going anywhere. Even if TT is moved to safety, where does Hall fit in? Not on the Giants…

9.  shmitty013 says:

Disappointed that Bennett is gone, but we just don’t pay TEs so it makes sense. Didn’t think Chicago was going to make that play for him because I didn’t think they had that much cap space and they really need to improve their OL more than anything else. Thought if they’d take anyone from us, it would be Boothe, but they still might. Anyway, I’m sure Bennett got a legit offer from them that was beyond what we were willing to pay.

Now keeping Cruz becomes even more important because Jernigan and Robinson won’t come close to replacing his production. I don’t know how good Robinson will prove to be, but I think absolutely nothing of Jernigan. I didn’t like him coming out of college and like him less now. Hardly did much in the preseason and when Nicks went down and Cruz would move to the outside, Jernigan came into the slot and did next to nothing. If I turn out to be wrong, I’ll be the first to admit it, but count me as one not impressed with Jernigan and don’t think he’ll ever come close to being even half of what Victor Cruz is for us.

Wouldn’t mind Slauson if we can’t resign Boothe. He’s mean and nasty and all my friends who are Jets fans think really highly of him. He also has the versatility to play both G and C and you all know how much the Giants value the ability to play multiple positions on the OL.

And no thank you to DeAngelo Hall. Punk and his play has been trending down for a few years now.

Dansby was just released. I wonder if there’s any chance we try to get him. It might be much cheaper than a few years ago.