On Monday, as expected, the New York Giants placed a first-round tender (the highest tender possible) on their star wide receiver, Victor Cruz. A team can make Cruz an offer, and if the Giants don't match it, that team can sign him but at the price of a first-round pick (and the contract given to the player). Despite the high tender, teams are considering making him offers…including the New England Patriots.
The Patriots have run into problems re-signing their own star receiver Wes Welker, and who better to replace him with than the league's other top slot receiver? Cruz, like Welker, is seeking a multi-year deal. Both have proven to be extremely productive options, but the main difference is Cruz is five years younger with a great deal of football left in him. CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Pats had seriously considered making Cruz a huge offer. However, now that Cruz has hired a new agent, Tom Condon, the Pats' interest appears to have lessened.
In addition to the Patriots' brief interest, the St. Louis Rams are one team reportedly interested in acquiring Cruz. After trades including Percy Harvin and Anquan Boldin, the Baltimore Ravens and Minnesota Vikings are now possibly entering the market for the young super-star as well. The Vikings are the most interesting potential candidate now that they have two picks in the first-round and could easily spare one to give their young quarterback another weapon.
The Giants would have five days to match any offer made. Cruz had reportedly rejected a "substantial" offer from the Giants, and his chances of returning began to appear bleak. But now that he has hired a new agent who happens to also represent Eli Manning, it looks like his chances of staying a Giant are far more likely.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1 Giants 101 on Google+
- Looking for 2013 NFL Draft news? Follow On The Clock 101 on Twitter and like On The Clock 101 on Facebook
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- Report: Teams are Lining up to Make New York Giants WR Victor Cruz an Offer
- Victor Cruz Swaps Agents; Looking for Someone “More Willing to Work with New York Giants”
- New York Giants, Victor Cruz Contract Standoff: Alternative Options to Find a Solution
- Minnesota Vikings, St. Louis Rams May Make Run at New York Giants WR Victor Cruz
- Giants’ John Mara “Wouldn’t Be Surprised” If Teams Go After Victor Cruz; Will Tender Him First-Round
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/r44