Cullen Jenkins “Excited” About Joining New York Giants

March 12th, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Co-Owner John Mara, defensive end Justin Tuck and guard Chris Snee have all expressed their excitement about having defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins join the New York Giants. But they aren't alone in sharing this excitement, as Jenkins is also feeling very good about signing with Big Blue – primarily because of how he was treated during his two visits.

“I’m excited,” said Jenkins. “It’s been a tough two weeks, going through so many different things mentally, with my family and traveling so much – trying to figure out which was the best scenario. I’m glad that it’s over and especially with the Giants. This was my first visit and I had a good feeling here, especially talking with the coaches. Everybody was straight up, straight forward with me. I had a good gut feeling about New York.”

In addition to being treated well by coaches and personnel, coupled with his familiarity of the NFC East, Jenkins also said he joined the Giants because of a player he'll never be on the field with at the same time: quarterback Eli Manning.

"Eli being the QB had a lot to do with me being here. With him, you're never out of the game," Jenkins added.

Jenkins is a player who can come in and immediately start for the Giants alongside Linval Joseph. It also gives the team security in the event Marvin Austin, Shaun Rogers and Markus Kuhn (ACL) are unable to stay healthy. All that and it's a reasonable price.

Tags: Chris Snee, Cullen Jenkins, Football, John Mara, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFL

48 Responses to “Cullen Jenkins “Excited” About Joining New York Giants”

1 2 3

The $8,000,000 probably made him feel pretty excited too.

2.  kujo says:

FF55,

Don’t be salty. You take a million positions every day, and yeah, a great many of them are right. I know this because you remind me, and everyone else, with enormous and creative regularity. You wanna gobble your own Vienna, go for it.

3.  GIANTT says:

Pardon my lack of posting etc – been busy with a family wedding and trip etc etc
    I have been reading the posts though .
    Two things – what is Jenkins supposed to say ? I came here because it was the best deal I could get ? or “Im excited to join a first class operation >? DUH

The other point is simple . This is NOT about talent alone – Its about the cost of that talent – so simply arguing about keeping Bennett or not is really immaterial . Its the cost of keeping him -or anyone else – from Beatty down to the players to be signed at vet minimums sometime in the next few days -
    We had the same discussions when Manningham left that we are having now about Cruz ! Yes we would like him to be kept but at what price ? Reese will establish what he feels is a reasonable price for Cruz! .I dont remember who posted back a bit about looking at Cruz! as an original free agent signing and development into what he is now after some exttremely exciting and productive years here . That Reese could turn around and get a first round pick guaranteed says a lot . Whether Cruz! stays or goes points to a system that works and works well despite all the would bes on here who think they could do a better job .
    Does anyone think that the Giants couldnt develop another slot receiver to fill in for Cruz! Just remember all the naysayers who predicted doom when Steve Smith and Manningham left . Petrhaps Cruz! should check how their careers went after they left the Giants before he runs off for another team .

4.  Nosh.0 says:

Yeah it’d be refreshing for once if a guy just said, I came because of the paycheck. I believe a Chicago FA RB said that a few years ago and was instantly beloved because of it. Can’t remember who though.

Like when they ask Osi where he’s looking to sign, the answer of course is “whoever gives me the most $$$”. Don’t know why players think it’s a sin to acknowledge that.

•  jfunk says:

Because unfortunately, most fans hate them for it.

Fans have loyalty to their team obviously, but for some reason people seem to project that onto the players and feel that they’re somehow greedy jerks if they take the best job they can get.

I highly doubt most fans would do any different if they were in a field that was effectively a temp job and they had between 3 and 10 years (randomly chosen…you never know when the end will come) to earn 90% of the income they will ever see in their lives.

Players DO sign for less money in certain situations, but they are calculated risks and the money differences are likely small in each situation. Either the difference isn’t worth it (I’d rather stay by my family for 1% less), they are angling for future earnings (I need to take the playing time so I can cash in on my next contract), or they’re at the end of their career and really do just want a shot at a ring (I’ve already made 100M, 1M extra isn’t enough to suffer through a 2-14 season instead of having a shot at a title).

All that being said, being honest doesn’t do them any good. When it’s all said and done, it’s better to be well liked than reviled and your chance of earning post-career money for appearances / radio gigs is greater if you’re a fan favorite.

Why be honest when you know you’ll be punished for it?

•  Nosh.0 says:

Yeah I guess you’re right. I however, hold no grudge against players trying to get paid. Especially guys that play tackle football for a living.

The only guys I really can’t stand are those greedy Coca-cola executives that leave for better contracts from Pepsi. Pisses me off as I’m a Coke loyalist.

When I order a coke at a restaurant and the waitress asks “is Pepsi ok?” I just shake my head and say I’ll have a water. Wish those executives showed as much loyalty to the brand as I do!

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    March 12, 2013 at 12:13 PM
    I wonder if we lost Cruz as a RFA if a stop gap option might be Steve Smith. I just noticed he is an UFA. Smith knows our system and still is fairly young. He now should be healthy in a similar manner to Andre Brown. If Smith was willing to return it could be a good marriage for both sides. Maybe Smith even works as a depth option should we lose Hixon and Barden as expected.

jfunk says:
    March 12, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    Is there any indication that Steve Smith can actually play anymore?

I have a hard time believing he would be worth bringing in instead of just rolling with Jernigan.

I like Jernigan and believe in his upside. i saw him in college and thought he could fit with us. But Smith is just another option. If we lose Cruz we still need depth and having competition isn’t a bad thing. My comment was much more about Smith than thinking badly of jernigan because I don’t.

I think you get Smith for the vet minimum so cost isn’t a factor. I wonder if Smith has now recovered but just doesn’t fit in the Rams offense like he did with us.

•  jfunk says:

Meh, the point is I’d rather just have to play Jernigan and see what he’s got than have a no-upside veteran stealing snaps from him.

Unless the medical & coaching staffs think Smith is “back” and can be as effective as he was before his injury, I’d rather add another young guy to develop or a high quality ST player. This is assuming of course that they didn’t spend enough money to bring in a definite starting caliber player.

I understand that and I agree. My assumption was that Smith was 100% or close to 100% physically.

6.  TheCatch says:

Old news I’m sure that with this having received so many hits/views already but if anyone hasn’t seen this guy kick you have to see this.

Tiki … I do feel compelled to pen a few words about our boy. He’s an idiot who disgraced himself and his family, and blew a promising career. Now he’s on the outside looking in, and trying his pathetic best to become relevant again. I’m not really into hating on him. In truth he scarcely enters my mind. But when he decides to Tweet on the Cruz situation he’s fair game for a sarcastic comment.

8.  Terrence97 says:

has nothing to do to the giants and everyone knows my hatered for the eagles but I think it’s pretty messed up about Michael Vicks death threats. He paid his debt to society in a large way. People do a lot worse and get punished with a lot less severity…

•  jfunk says:

I couldn’t care less what some psychos threaten to do to Michael Vick, but threatening the poor store employees is uncalled for.

Vick’s a broken human being, he’ll never be “OK” no matter how much he works to repair his image. He derives pleasure from inflicting suffering upon the innocent. That’s not an immature mistake, it means he’s got some wires crossed. If he merely put those dogs down in a cold hearted business decision, I’d feel differently. But he didn’t. He tortured them for entertainment. Broken.

•  Valid says:

Spending a year-and-a-half in jail for what he did and then having the opportunity to come back and play football after signing a monster contract is hardly “paying his debts to society.”

This scumbag deserves everything that is coming to him. I’m not going to waste my time feeling sorry for a waste of space like Michael freaking Vick when there are PLENTY of unfortunate people out there who are in terrible situations despite not doing anything wrong.

I hope he gets mauled by 10 rottweilers.

•  Terrence97 says:

So people can’t change? So what people have done in the past defines who they are now? He lost $100mill and his home and endorsements 4 doing what he did. He gets death threats to him and his family. And for some, they’ll never forgive him. That’s paying debt. I guess some people don’t deserve a 2nd chance. I guess everyone on this blogg are perfect and never make bad decisions. I for one made a lot of mistakes in my past and am happy 4 a new beginning. If ur child got involved with the wrong crowd…did n sold drugs. Murdered stole went to jail did his time n came out “clean” would u love them still? Would u want me threatening them or u for what he did years ago? Would u want the best for that person? Or would u want me to live in the past and want me to wish them death by 10 gangbangers.

9.  Terrence97 says:

ff55 is all knowing I tell u….ish I dnt have to tell u cuz he will def let you know. I bet you he tells God what to do at times

•  Terrence97 says:

Maybe god prays to ff55 for wisdom lol

Given how he has done since the dawn of time he probably should allow me to consult. I think he has messed up here and there by pretty large margins.

10.  BigBlueGiant says:

repost:
    GOAT56 says:
    March 12, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Ok, First off. You watched Jerningan play in college, and thought he would fit with us? In what world would he fit with us? We don’t run an option offense, we dont run the wildcat… This is what JJ ran in college. I thought after watching the kid play in college that there’s no way he’ll cut it in the NFL. And Was rather less than excited about him. Even less now than ever before. I think he’s a waste of a roster space. Rather have Barden.

He was a WR but did a lot of stuff much like a Harvin did at Florida. So he was a wildcat QB at times but his position was WR. He was great in the open field. I saw him play a few times but especially the last time when he was in a bowl game I thought he would fit with us as a slot WR because he seemed cat quick and fast. Since Osi and then Ware were drafted I always keep an eye on Troy.

He hasn’t played and you’re giving up on him? That’s silly. He was clearly raw because why he did play WR his offense was far from a pro system. Cruz developed and became a top slot WR taking Jernigan’s role. I still think Jernigan can be a very good player for us.

1 2 3