For a brief moment on Monday afternoon, it appeared as if the relationship between the New York Giants and wide receiver Victor Cruz was severed. Although they tendered the youngster at a first-round level, Giants co-owner John Mara said Cruz's agent had turned down a "substantial" long-term offer. Apparently, Cruz was not thrilled with that decision either and opted to swap his agents, firing Malik Shareef and replacing him with Tom Condon, who also represents Eli Manning.
A source close to Giants 101 informed us the move was made in an effort to bring on someone "more willing to work with the Giants."
Leading up to this disastrous public relations day, Cruz had preemptively tweeted: "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see." No one listened and Giants Nation was in full-fledged panic mode after Mara's comments.
Due to the change in agents, Cruz is unable to sign a new deal with any team for at least five days (until he can officially hire his new agent). In other words, all things on the Cruz front will briefly fall silent.
It is worth noting, however, that reports about interest in the young wide receiver have proven true. Not only have the St. Louis Rams, San Francisco 49ers and Minnesota Vikings all been linked to him, but recent reports suggest the New England Patriots were prepared to make a run at him prior to signing Condon, whom they try to avoid like the plague.
Despite what appears to be a Giants-friendly move by Cruz, it by no means guarantees a long-term deal. There's still a ways to go before both sides find themselves on the same page.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1 Giants 101 on Google+
- Looking for 2013 NFL Draft news? Follow On The Clock 101 on Twitter and like On The Clock 101 on Facebook
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- Giants’ John Mara “Wouldn’t Be Surprised” If Teams Go After Victor Cruz; Will Tender Him First-Round
- New York Giants, Victor Cruz Contract Standoff: Alternative Options to Find a Solution
- Victor Cruz Must Accept Playing Second Fiddle to Hakeem Nicks for New York Giants
- Victor Cruz: “Hopefully We Can Get a Deal Done; If not Here than Unfortunately Somewhere Else”
- New York Giants’ Victor Cruz Says There’s Been No Movement in Contract Talks
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/r3k