New York Giants Interested in Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie & Julian Edelman?

March 10th, 2013 at 12:30 PM

On Saturday, we passed along a rumor that suggested the New York Giants were interested in free agent wide receiver Danny Amendola. Today, we bring you additional rumors about the Giants' potential interest in a couple other free agents: cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and wide receiver Julian Edelman. But, as with the Amendola information, we cannot verify that these are accurate rumors (hence the term "rumor").

However, where there's smoke there's generally fire, and most Giants-related rumors have focused on wide receivers and cornerbacks (see: New York Giants Front Office “Intrigued” by Free Agent Cornerback Aqib Talib).

The Rodgers-Cromartie rumor seems a bit less substantial than does the Edelman rumor, with some suggesting the Giants have already contacted Edelman's agent. However, we remind you, as it is with Danny Amendola and Josh Cribbs, there is a chance it's nothing more than a negotiation tactic by the Giants to drive down the price of restricted free agent (RFA) wide receiver Victor Cruz.

Assuming all of the interest is legitimate, it would spell out a clear free agency path for Big Blue. General Manager Jerry Reese appears to getting his ducks in a row, and finding alternatives at wide receiver with uncertainty surrounding Cruz (RFA), Ramses Barden (UFA) and Domenik Hixon (UFA). Meanwhile, the team may also be seeking more stability at cornerback with the "decline" of Corey Webster much talked about, health concerns with Terrell Thomas and Prince Amukamara, and a few free agents (ie: Justin Tryon and Brian Witherspoon) not returning.

Originally drafted in the first-round of the 2008 NFL Draft by the Arizona Cardinals, DRC has spent the last two years as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles. In 77 career games, DRC has made 197 tackles and picked off 16 passes, bringing four of those back for a touchdown.

Edelman, meanwhile, was a seventh-round pick of the New England Patriots in the 2009 NFL Draft and has spent his entire four-year career with the team. In 48 games he's hauled in 69 receptions for 714 yards and four touchdowns. However, his versatility is what makes him valuable, and he's capable of running the ball (6.0 ypc average on his career) and acting as a return man (1,506 net return yards with three touchdowns).

The alleged interest in players like Edelman and Cribbs may be an indication that the Giants aren't close on a new deal with Hixon and are seeking an alternative to David Wilson returning kickoffs in 2013.

photo credit: MPR529 via photopin cc

Tags: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Football, Julian Edelman, New York, New York Giants, NFL

18 Responses to “New York Giants Interested in Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie & Julian Edelman?”

1.  GmenMania says:

What are these purported health concerns with Prince? I know he missed a couple games with a minor hamstring (I think) injury, but I’m pretty sure there’s nothing serious there.

•  Chad Eldred says:

Do you remember his rookie season? Don’t feel bad, he was injured for nearly all of it.

•  GmenMania says:

I was referring to his upcoming season. There’s no health concerns with him going into the season. His rookie season means very little in terms of his health this upcoming season, as he’s fully recovered from the foot injury.

•  Chad Eldred says:

Hey, I like Prince as much as anyone, but don’t miss the big picture. He has two years in the league and hasn’t played a full season in either of them. Are you willing to bet a paycheck that he plays all 16 this year? Corner and WR are critical positions and depth is extremely important. There aren’t many sets that require 4 or 5 tackles to be on the field, or 3 centers. But corner and WR regularly call for such personnel. I’m extremely comfortable with the talent we have at corner, but if a couple guys are injury prone we end up relying on some guy that was subbing as a gym teacher on Thursday lining up at corner on Sunday.

•  Chad Eldred says:

I suppose I should qualify that I’m comfortable with the talent at the top of the depth chart at corner. I’m assuming that there will be some new faces beyond the top three.

•  GmenMania says:

We currently have our top three locked in at corner in Prince, Webster, and Hosley in the slot. Of course we will add one draftee and one cheap vet, cause we need some depth. But I don’t think Prince is injury prone. His health is FAR down on the list of worries for this team. And he’s healthy now, so that’s what matters.

And to your argument as to whether I would bet a paycheck that he would play 16 games, you can make that argument for any player. Just cause I don’t think Snee or Baas will necessarily play all 16, it doesn’t mean that we need to go out and get another starting-caliber guard or center. So I think your thinking is flawed there.

•  Chad Eldred says:

My thinking isn’t flawed at all. You are making the assumption that I’m advocating signing a starting corner. I’ve made no such assertion. I’m simply addressing the reality of Prince’s history. You have to deal in problablities. Every prediction of the future is an operation on the past. Until any player plays a full season I am skeptical that he is able to . Hopefully Prince plays all 16 games and establishes himself as a top-flight talent as well as someone reliable. I’ve already distinguished the numerical reality that differentiates corner from most other positions in our pass happy league. I don’t think that JR is blowing smoke when he says he investigates all options. I’m sure that he devotes a substantial amount of time to investigating corner for the obvious reasons.

•  GmenMania says:

My bad, then. I assumed you were advocating the pursuing of DRC because of Prince’s injury history (since you made the post under this article).

That misunderstanding excluded, I agree with you.

Hypothermia concerns as well as a drowning risk.

2.  GmenMania says:

Can’t see anything happening with DRC. Most likely will want more money than we can give him.

Edelman, on the other hand, would be a fantastic pickup if he doesn’t ask for too much. I’d give him $1.5MM per year as a 4th receiver and kick returner. Can also play cornerback in a pinch.

•  Levito says:

He may want more money, but getting it is a different story. There’s so many cap-strapped teams this year, there might not be as much of the overspending we typically see. DRC may be available for a reasonable price.

3.  Valid says:

I’m guessing all of the wide receiver rumors spell bad news about Cruz. Amendola had 63 catches last year. Can’t see him coming over here to be a No. 3 or 4 receiver. Edelman? Meh. I’d rather bring back Hixon if the price is right.

•  Valid says:

And as far as DRC is concerned, I want nothing to do with him. Not only is he not that good, but he has the awful stench of Eagle on him to boot. Let him steal someone else’s money.

4.  CT GIANT says:

Dwayne Bowe’s stats last two years: 13 games 59 receipt’s; 801 yards 3 TD’s.
    2011: 81 receipt’s; 1159 5 TD’s. = 56M 25 M guaranteed.
    CRUZ: 2011 16 games 82 receipts; 1536 9 TD’s; 2012 86 receipt’s; 1092 yards 10 TD’s.
    Bowe is an outside WR, so maybe it’s not fair, but numbers in particular TD’s, make for good cases when it comes to money.
    Bowe is 28 a former 1st rd pick in 07, and plays on a bad team.
    FYI.
    CT GIANT

• Anthony Raiaaxr29 says:

Plays on a bad team with no quarterback, no receiver on the other side and is constantly doubled.

Talent wise I think Bowe is more talented than Cruz, and is a true number 1.

5.  GmenMania says:

@RVacchianoNYDN
    One of them, I’m told, is the Giants … RT @jwyattsports Five teams have already expressed an interest in #Titans DT Sen’Derrick Marks.

6.  GmenMania says: