New York Giants Re-Sign Justin Trattou

March 7th, 2013 at 2:37 PM
By Paul Tierney

The New York Giants have re-signed defensive end Justin Trattou, who spent the entire 2012 season on the injured reserve with an ankle injury. With the impending departure of Osi Umenyiora, Trattou will fight for a backup defensive end spot with Adrian Tracy and Adewale Ojomo, both of whom showed promise in 2012.

'Defensive Lineman' photo (c) 2012, Ted Kerwin - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Trattou was an Exclusive-Rights Free Agent, which meant that once the Giants offered him a three year contract at the veteran minimum, Trattou was obligated to either sign the deal or leave the NFL. Tracy and Jim Cordle are the only other ERFA's on the roster, which means the Giants will have each of them back in 2013.

Trattou started 31 games and won a BCS National Championship at the University of Florida under head coach Urban Meyer. Trattou served as team captain in 2010 and won the Gators' Gators’ Fergie Ferguson Award, recognizing “the senior football player who displays outstanding leadership, character and courage.”

In 2011, Trattou signed with the Giants as an undrafted free-agent and played in six regular season games during Big Blue's Super Bowl run. Last season, he came into training camp as the favorite to replace Dave Tollefson as the Giants fourth defensive end, but could not stay healthy enough to earn a roster spot. It's going to be an uphill battle for Trattou to make the team in 2013 and it's going to be a story line that Giants 101 will keep updating as the offseason progresses.

Tags: Adewale Ojomo, Adrian Tracy, contract, Dave Tollefson, Florida, Football, free agent, Jim Cordle, Justin Trattou, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora, Super Bowl

27 Responses to “New York Giants Re-Sign Justin Trattou”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

OH man… here we go again with the whole “Adrian Tracy showing promise thing”.

We’re gonna sign a FA DE, IMO.

Tracy, Trattou aren’t gonna cut it.

Why? Between Tracy, Trattou and Ojomo we should certainly have a #4 DE. And Kiwi is probably moving to DE. With JPP and Tuck that’s a pretty solid rotation. Why would Reese spend on a free agent? Ain’t gonna happen.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Trattou over Tracy. For sure.

I still have NO idea what any of you guys see in Adrian Tracy. The guy stinks. And has shown zero promise. One sack against a depleted O-line in the preseason doesnt mean that promise is being shown.

Trattou is decent at best.

cant agree that Tracy, Trattou and Ojomo are a decent rotation.

Tracy has gotten consistent pressure in the preseason against starters and backups. I don’t know what you have watched. Now maybe that can’t transition to regular season games. But he has shown that which is the promise we have seen.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

LOL!

if this was true, he’d be getting playing time by now.

Sorry, must have missed all those times that Adrian Tracy got consistent pressure against starters AND backups. Must have went to the bathroom during ALL those times.

in all seriousness, the kid sucks. Word up.

Yes, he has if you watched. Just like Ojomo dominated vs backups. Now it’s preseason so I’m not saying that means he definitely will be effective. Maybe you don’t watch preseason, idk. But he’s shown pass rush ability.

JPP, Tuck, Osi, Kiwi so where is the playing time coming from? The absence of Osi will give some real snaps to Tracy, Ojomo or someone else as 4th DE. Last year Kiwi still got many of those snaps.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I’ll tell you exactly where he was getting the PT from. The god awful performance of Tuck, Osi, Kiwi AND JPP last year. Yeah, JPP double teamed blah blah blah… Aldon Smith wasn’t? JJ Watt wasn’t? Different topic for a different day.

If this Tracy character has shown so much promise and pass rushing abilities he would have gotten time when the other guys kept sucking it up.

Truth be told. Stop being homers. Everyone on the NY Giants aren’t always good.

Stop the homerism. Especially for a kid that’s been on the team for 3 years and hasnt done squat besides again, and I repeat… ONE SACK during preseason. He’s as good as Rudy.

Just because you don’t believe someone is good doesn’t mean I’m a homer. We are saying the kid has promise as backup pass rushing DE. Come on Dave Tollefson was effective in that role. To say the kid has promise in that role far from crazy. Tracy was ion IR his first year, made PS his second and the roster his 3rd year. He’s steadily climbing, not everyone has instant NFL success. If you watched that game he caused other plays but I know that’s too in depth. All these random different posters that don’t agree on much are all of a sudden just homers because they see promise in a player you don’t? Come on man.

Let Smith and Watt 2 do in their 3rd year. Aldon Smith isn’t comparable to JPP as a player, he’s a one trick pony. And Watt could be the best player in the NFL.

No, I mean the BEST of them plus JPP, Tuck and Kiwi. How can you not think that’s decent?

•  dbdraggin says:

Tracy also had a sack against the 49ers in the regular season. It wasnt spectacular, but he helped collapse the pocket.

•  Paul Tierney says:

He made the most of his reps when he was on the field. He does not have the size to play as an every down defensive end, but I like him coming off the edge on third-and-long scenarios.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

WHAT?

The kid never sees the field besides ST if he even suits up. LOL!

Stop with the Adrian Tracy love. For real.

All you guys are being homers about this guy because he’s on the team.

He’s not good. And has shown little to nothing besides ONE PRESEASON SACK.

A different Tracy type player? Why are you spending free agent money on a 4th or 5th DE? You draft a late round pick and bring in more undrafted DEs to compete. But a random vet free agent DE for our 4th or 5th DE doesn’t make sense. I believe Tracy can contribute much like do with Scott. But both players will have to hold off challenges to their spots. If they can’t they will be gone. Bu they are by no means getting a pass for a roster spot.

Repost:

Giants offer not enough to keep Kenny Phillips off market

The Giants were lumped into the Charles Woodson speculation, which might be fueled by a failed attempt to keep one of their own.

According to Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News, the Giants made a run at safety Kenny Phillips to try to keep him out of the free agent market, but it apparently wasn’t enough to keep him from looking around.

That would put Phillips into the open market March 12, or able to hear about interest from other teams via his agent as soon as Saturday morning.

Phillips apparently would prefer to stay with the Giants, but not at the numbers which were discussed.

As talented as Phillips is, his injury record might give some teams pause. The 26-year-old missed nine games last year with a right knee problem, after major surgery on his left knee in 2009.

The Giants got good production out of Stevie Brown in Phillips’ absence last year, and the safety market is usually very top heavy, with teams willing to spend for the top few guys then wait for bargains.

A month ago I thought KP was definitely gone and Bennett would probably stay and now I almost feel the reverse is true. If KP doesn’t receive that big offer then I think he’s returning. Given the safety market I’m thinking it will happen.

Another questions is do we keep Brown if KP is re-signed. Brown is a RFA and the original round tender is like 1.3 mil. The second round tender is about 2 mil. For a 7th rounder someone likely signs him. For a 2nd round tender no one will sign him but is 2 mil too much to pay for a 3rd or 4th safety that’s an UFA after this season?

This is exactly why I have NOT assumed Brown sticks.

The whole question with KP is health, and the Giants are in the best position to know the real story. If they think he can give them 3-4 good years at a reasonable price ($4-5MM per is my guess, with about $10-12MM guaranteed) they’ll definitely want him at their number. And other teams may not only hesitate over his health while seeing plenty of other safeties on the market, but might figure if the Giants are willing to expose him then he’s not the best bet around. He just might not get what we’re offering, or enough more that he’ll want to leave.

If Phillips returns then Brown is a serious luxury. KP, Rolle and Hill are a pretty great trio, and just about anyone, including Sash, could be the fourth Musketeer. I like Brown, but he’s a close call as far as I’m concerned. He absolutely made plays, so I want him. But if KP is retained how many snaps will Brown get? You don’t want to pay $2MM for a special teams player.

Exactly. I long assumed Brown because I thought KP was gone. But looking at the market, his returning looks more and more realistic as time goes on. Plus by signing Brown to the original round tender we get another draft pick even if only a 7th rounder. But a random 7th rounder could be worth more than a 1 year backup safety. At 1.3 mil keeping him wouldn’t be a question.

I think signing KP comes more down to guarantees than money per year. 10-12 is a pretty good amount of guarantees for KP’s injury history. I think he can make more than 5 mil per year but he might no get 10 mil in guarantees.

•  jfunk says:

Although Brown for one year at $2M just might be a decent one year rental as insurance for the future. He could be extended next season if we decide it’s time to cut ties with Rolle or Hill isn’t developing.

Good point. But there is NO doubt in my mind about Hill “developing”. Kid is going to be very good. Rolle would be the issue but I cannot see the Giants letting him walk when he’s a terrific player and the real leader of the team along with Eli.

The problem is if he plays well in 2013 again, he’s going to be worth market price to keep. He’s a free agent so there’s nothing that ties him to us.

With Webster staying the Giants STILL need two more corners (plus a third since Webster will be gone in 2014). They will certainly draft one, quite possibly two, but I expect them to still look at what’s available in free agency. Given the odds against Terrell Thomas the team really has nothing behind Prince, Hosley and Webster. Perhaps some of the practice players or those under new contracts have talent, but I suspect they will try to bring in a veteran to supplement the youngsters. I have no idea who that would be, but I would think they are on the lookout.

And they need a free agent defensive tackle. I’m still thinking Bryant, Hill or Dorsey as real possibilities if any one of them looks reasonably cheap.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

agreed.

I’d love to draft a CB or DE with our 1st pick, both are positions of need and can get good value at 19 if a select few are there.

I just think that Rhodes, and Truffant will be both gone by 19. I’m hoping that Jarvis, Ansah or Star slip to us.

I think you draft a top 3 round CB. Then either a late round CB or a undrafted free agent plus a guy like TT, Witherspoon and a few other you vets that may have slipped through the cracks. We are only keeping 5 CBs at most so if you have Prince, Webster, Hosley and a draft pick as the top 4 CBs that’s pretty good. The last CB is a depth, long term project and/or special teams type players anyways.

Then you draft another CB next year to be the #4 CB and let him develop.

I think a free agent DT as well. We still don’t have anyone who’s a given as a starter or major snaps besides Joseph. The best guess would be Kuhn but he’s still coming off of an ACL. DT is a major need and another unknown as an early draft pick might not be much help given the position.

4.  TroyThorne says:

Glad to see Webster restructure his contract. Make up all the excuses and phantom injuries you want, dude was toasted last season worse than any other CB in the league. He didn’t deserve that original payout and both he and the team knew it. It’s still good to have a veteran presence back there though especially with the struggles of Hosley in his rookie season. Hopefully we’ll see Prince mirroring the opposing team’s #1 next year.

Good to see Baas restructure as well. I’m not his biggest fan at all, seen him get absolutely dominated way too often in the pass game for me to call him anything more than average, but we have more pressing needs we have to attend to at the moment.

KP has been my guy since he was in college and I’ve been one of his biggest supporters from day one. I really feel like he’s one of the more underrated players in the NFL and hope we can retain him. That being said, Will Hill is my dude and I think he’s ready to contribute in a big way this upcoming season.

5.  Nosh.0 says:

I have to admit I have no idea who Tracy Ojomo Tratou is. Sounds like a French-African stripper.

•  rlhjr says:

LMAO………..

None of us will if they never get a chance to show. Question for all;
      Which is the better rotation right now. The Giants DE rotation or the Giants DT rotation? And if you had a draft choice to spend on either group at 19, what position would you take DT or DE?