March 7th, 2013 at 1:20 PM

New York Giants General Manager Jerry Reese hasn't been all that interested in the catfish story surrounding Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o. Instead, being the consummate professional that he is, Reese has focused on Te'o's athletic ability, and despite a poor performance at the NFL Combine, has maintained that the team would eventually talk with him.

Thus far, that has not happened, and while appearing on NBC's "The Crossover" on Wednesday, head coach Tom Coughlin took it a step further, saying he's been unimpressed with the Heisman runner-up.

“Just strictly football, strictly evaluating – I don’t really know the player other than looking at him on tape,” Coughlin said on NBC's The Crossover. “We didn’t interview him in Indianapolis. But he didn’t play well in the National Championship Game. Now anybody can have a bad game. He ran okay [at the combine], but it wasn’t great. So I’ll have to do more research on him. But at this point in time you’re asking me would I be surprised [if he’s available at 19]? No.”

The Giants haven't drafted a linebacker in the first-round since Carl Banks in 1984. Since then, the highest pick has been selecting Clint Sintim in the second-round of the 2009 NFL Draft. Te'o is not likely going to be the one to change that, although there are other potential linebacker options Big Blue will explore.

Bottom line? Coughlin's comments on Te'o are essentially a death sentence. And while the Giants very rarely tip their hand when it comes to the NFL Draft and their plans, it seems pretty clear that the youngster out of Notre Dame is not in them.

photo credit: Hoosierguy Jeff via photopin cc

Tags: Football, Jerry Reese, Manti Te'o, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

30 Responses to “New York Giants Have not Talked with Manti Te’o; Tom Coughlin not Impressed with Him”

re-post:

March 7, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I’ve seen David Baas, when healthy, absolutely maul BJ Raji, and then handle the interior of the Niners’ defensive line like putty. I really think the only question with him is health and I don’t think the kinds of nagging injuries he’s had are predictive so I expect him to be a quality center for years to come. Happy to have him.

As for Webster, I still find it impossible to believe that a top-end corner can lose everything in one season. He was hurt, confused, and, I suspect, a bit disinterested once he saw the scheme was going to make him look bad, in 2012. It’s POSSIBLE he is done, but I think it highly unlikely. And this is now a contract year for him. I noted about a month ago that if he does well this season someone will probably give him another $7-9MM in guarantees on a new deal. Guy has a LOT of incentive to play hard in 2013.

Tuck is a mystery. I think the injuries may have really damaged his future, but it was clear the past few years that his will had been sapped and his commitment was gone. He looked like a bright, personable, guy who had his contract and his money and wasn’t sure he wouldn’t rather retreat to a gentle life in ‘Bama rather than subject himself to the rigors of the NFL in pursuit of another contract and more rings (although when he actually smelled a ring and was motivated by TC he played lights out for a six game stretch, showing that in the right circumstances the guy can still bring it). He’s actually my second candidate for a veteran who may well far outplay his 2013 contract.

If Tuck and Webster can play at even close to their highest level then having the two of them for a total of less than $8.5MM for the year is stealing. Anyone thinking Reese made bad moves by not cutting ties with them is crazy.
    fanfor55years says:
    March 7, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Why would anyone assume that keeping Webster means they won’t draft a corner(s)? They absolutely will. I’m still hoping they take Rhodes or Trufant with the #19 pick, but there will be plenty of very good players available at that slot and I’ll trust Reese. The Giants rarely miss on those first two picks.

I with everything except Bass. But only that I don’t like doubling down on the Bass signing by this restructure. I haven’t lost hope but I think we could have found 2 mil in a better place.

I we will draft a CB in the first 3 rounds but I think drafting a first round CB is more in question. We could but not it’s less likely that CB is our BPA.

Is Coughlin playing possum? I hardly think so. I don’t want T’eo unless he’s no higher than our third pick, and I don’t really even want him then. I think there are at least 6-7 better linebackers available. Hell, I’d take Chase Thomas before I’d take T’eo. And there are all of the others that everyone knows about. Not a fan of Manti (having nothing to do with the off-field stuff, about which I care not a bit).

• Anthony Raiaaxr29 says:

Agreed. With his slow 40 he reminds me of a better Blackburn. Takes great angles but not more than a 2 down linebacker.

3.  BigBlueGiant says:

Again on Te’o.

His combine stats might not impress, but the kid will ball come Sunday. He will be a good LB’er in this league.

Much Like Burfict was looked after last year ( sorry Demo, had to bring my BF into the convo).

He may become a “good” linebacker, but that’s not what we’ll be looking for with the #19 and #48 picks. “Good” isn’t good enough. Te’o was way over-hyped and now may be getting unfairly trashed, but he is not going to be an elite, game-changing, linebacker. There are some in this draft who might be that.

I’ll say one thing: I’d take Arthur Brown over Te’o and laugh all the way to the bank. Not even close who is the better player. And that’s not even getting into the supposedly “elite” linebackers in this draft.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Well, here’s the thing, I dont think Te’o was overhyped at all. He was nothing less then exceptional on the field in the past two years. Forget that ‘bama game. They executed a great gameplan to take him out of it. Ray Lewis would have been taken out of that game too. I also don;t think he was unfairly trashed either. He made up a story to hype his name and the ND program. Whatever though.

I do like Arthur Brown. And think he’ll be a good NFL LB as well. At 19 he’s a reach though. at 48, he MIGHT be gone. But i doubt we draft a LB that high anyway.

It’s been a need for this team for quite some time, and what we have at that position is “good” at the VERY best. Maybe even reaching. So if Te’o ends up being anything like Burfict did come EVERY sunday, i’d take a shot at him.

BTW, I see Te’o falling into the 3rd round.

4.  BigBlueGiant says:

I’d like also bring up the Cweb and his injuries again. Yeah, he did hurt his hand.
    But if he had TORN THE HAMSTRING off his BONE like Dan said, I’m sorry, he’d be in for surgery the VERY next day. There is no way he’d be able to play football. It’s anatomically impossible to merely walk with that kind of injury.

Even if he had a torn Quad, playing through that is just extremely hard to do, and i have no doubt that the medical staff which is one of the most cautious about the players would allow Corey to be out there in either of these cases. Let alone, he didnt miss time.

Actually, depending upon the severity, you can play with a part of a muscle or tendon torn away from the bone. It is extremely painful, and they have to drug you up. But it can be done, again, depending upon the severity. My daughter played an entire season of college lacrosse with a tendon and part of a muscle torn away from her hip. She was at about 70% but she played. Had surgery after the season and came back very strong.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Well since Muscles aren’t attached the bone, they’d have to come off the tendon anyway. But for a muscle to be comepletely off the tendon in the HAMSTRING, you’d need reconstructive surgery. It would not only be incredibly painful to walk, but I say again, impossible to play football.

•  Hanshi says:

This is the only report I could find on Corey’s hamstring from last season:
          Corey Webster was conspicuous today by his absence – from the Giants’ injury report.

The team’s eighth-year cornerback has been on the list every week since breaking his hand in a victory at Carolina on Sept. 20. He later developed a sore hamstring that forced him to sit out some practices. But he never missed a game and is fourth on the team with 27 tackles (25 solo).

At times, however, Webster seemed to lack some of the speed that made him a nuisance to so many of the NFL’s top wide receivers.

“Hopefully,” coach Tom Coughlin said, “he’s well enough to change that opinion.”

Webster refused to admit the hamstring affected his performance.

“We make no excuses,” Webster said. “We always just go out there and try to get better every week. We don’t point to injuries. Once we’re out there, we’re 110 percent playing. So we don’t let it bother us. We just try to get healthy during the week and hopefully we can keep on doing that so we can be a better team at the end of the day.”

Webster said his hand has also improved, which has helped him play at a higher level.

“I did it with the broken hand, with the cast on,” Webster said. “Now the cast is off, so it’s much better.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Like i said, If his Hamstring was TORN completely off the “bone” as Dan mentioned, he’d have been IR’d and in surgery the VERY next day.

In fact, i dont thin he’d be out there even with a mild Tear. A strain or a pull is completely different

5.  The Original G Man says:

@Justin_Trattou
    Just resigned with the #Giants and couldn’t be more excited for the big things that are ahead!!! #NYG

6. Anthony Raiaaxr29 says:

per Ralph V

Phillips, according to the source, will become an unrestricted free agent when the market opens on March 12, barring a last-ditch effort from the Giants. He would still prefer to re-sign with the Giants, the source said, and it appears the Giants would like to keep him.

7.  LUZZ says:

I find it funny that all the Te’o supporters all start the same way, “throw away that Bama game”.

Okay, yeah, sure why would we want to evaluate the biggest game of the players career? And against the the champion of a conference that has the most players.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Look I loathe ND football. I can’t stand Te’O either. But he’s a good player.

But fact is that the whole team was taking out of that game. Not just Te’o.

things like that happen.

He’ll be a good NFL Lb’er.

I think there’s little downside to the Webster deal. He wasn’t the worse CB in the NFL. You have to remember that he was covering #1 WRs the whole year. I Prince should be the #1 and allow Webster to cover #2 WRs except when the #2 is a speed WR and in that case Prince should handle the #2 WR. Even if Webster isn’t much better just by covering #2 WRs we will be better. Since he’s only here for 1 more year we will draft a young CB. So we are not sacrificing any long term view in keeping him but possibly really improving our short term if we get the 2011 Webster.

9.  The Original G Man says:

Is it just me or all of these mock drafts all over the place? I know, I know … it kinda comes with the territory, but reputable sites have certain players going at *wildly* different spots. Bjoern Werner, Ezekial Ansah, Barkevious Mingo, Jarvis Jones, Shariff Floyd, Star Lotuleilei … I’ve seen all of these guys projected to go anywhere from #2 to #20. WTF?

As a Maryland alum and non ND fan, I’m neutral. I think don’t think Teo was much overhyped as regular season college player because the best players on the best teams are always held up in college sports. But I think he was overhyped as a pro prospect. He never should have thought of as a top 5-10 type of pick even sans the Bama game. He never played to the level of Kuechly last year but was getting credit on many circle as being better. Where he appears to be as a prospect now late first to second round is more in line of what he probably should have always been. He’s very similar prospect wise to Laurinaitis.