March 7th, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Things between the New York Giants and middle linebacker Chase Blackburn seemed positive a month ago, but with only a few days left before the start of free agency, the two sides are no closer to a new deal and Blackburn is preparing to hit the open market.

“There is no understanding with the Giants,” Blackburn’s agent, Richard Katz, told Newsday on Wednesday. “It appears he’ll hit the open market on the 12th.”

The comments from Blackburn's agent could merely be posturing, but with the Giants' "cleaning house" mentality thus far this offseason, that would seem unlikely. The more realistic scenario is that General Manager Jerry Reese & Co. offered Blackburn a modest contract, similar to what they've done with safety Kenny Phillips, and just let it simmer.

Already thin at linebacker, the Giants will find themselves in an even more dire situation if they are unable to retain Blackburn and fellow free agent Keith Rivers. They'll ultimately be forced to fill some of those holes through free agency or with multiple selections during the NFL Draft. Unless, of course, they are prepared and committed to giving Mark Herzlich and Jacquian Williams starting jobs.

Put your seatbelt on. Things are about to get a little wild and crazy.

Tags: Chase Blackburn, Football, Jacquian Williams, Jerry Reese, Keith Rivers, Kenny Phillips, Mark Herzlich, New York, New York Giants, NFL

10 Responses to “New York Giants, Chase Blackburn Unable to Finalize New Deal; Linebacker Will Hit Open Market”

I love what Chase did … Giants fan owe him big time. But he’s a ‘vet minimum-ish’ player. And he’s not going to fit in anywhere else like he does here. Best of luck to him.

From the news …

“The Raiders appear ready to let go of their most recent first-round pick.

According to Vic Tafur of the San Francisco Chronicle, “all indications are” the Raiders will release middle linebacker Rolando McClain on Tuesday, the start of the 2013 league year. Per the Chronicle report, releasing McClain on Tuesday will result in a salary-cap hit of more than $7 million, but the penalty can be taken over two seasons.”

I forget … what did folks want us to trade for the chance to get this superstar?

3.  Dirt says:

Thanks Chase. But you’re not very good.

4.  The Original G Man says:

Two questions:

For the sake of argument, say a team signs Cruz and we don’t match, does the 1st rd tender kick in for the 2013 draft or 2014?

Is it advantageous to wait to cut players until after the start of the new league year next week in order to spread out the cap hit?

•  The Original G Man says:

Oh. I see in Krow’s post up above reference to McClain’s cap hit being spread over 2 years by waiting until after the new league year. What is the strategy for NYG in this regard? Does it benefit them to, say for instance, wait until next week to cut Dave Diehl?

5.  The Original G Man says:

I would think any player who you were going to renegotiate their contract in order to free up cap space, that you would do that *PRIOR* to the new league year in order to spread it out over more seasons, no? There’s no benefit to waiting until after the new league year to renegotiate, is there?

Renegotiation is different. That’s basically a new contract. The only consideration there was Eli and his impact on the franchise tag salary. But that’s passed.

6.  rlhjr says:

I wanted McClain and Weatherspoon. And I had trade partners worked out that would have cost the Giants a next year’s first round draft choice.

I had the whole thing planed. Because I had been screaming for linebacking help as per usual since Pierce with to the all you can eat retirement home.

I still like Spoon; I’ve yet to see McClain on a single NFL highlight video.
    And he’s never made defensive player of the week. Perhaps the Raider way has taken his motivation to play. Or, perhaps being in the NFL has taken his motivation away. I think the latter is more likely and I couldn’t have been more wrong about a player.

That said, I still want a linebacker and the Giants still need one. And I mean one just one guy who could play SAM or MIKE and not get burned by every TE or RB in the league. Just one guy………………… And before anyone says anything, I’ll not rant about it any further. I think I’ve moved on.

7.  Steroid TheMonkey says:

wow bummer first they get rid of bradshaw now blackburn!! i know people say blackburn ‘isnt good’ but he seemed like a leader to the defense on the field and more importantly he always performed when it mattered. one thing i pay close attention to isnt speed on paper but MISSED TACKLES and i Never saw chase miss a tackle, not once. also he got the interception and Multiple forced fumbles in the superbowl run!! everyone that says chase isnt good is a moron!!