Corey Webster Takes Pay Cut; Will Remain with New York Giants in 2013

March 7th, 2013 at 12:15 PM

The New York Giants continued to work on clearing cap space this week, and did so by first restructuring the contract of center David Baas, and then added even more room when cornerback Corey Webster agreed to take a pay cut. Not a restructure, mind you, but an actual salary reduction (per Kim Jones).

'Grunt' photo (c) 2010, AJ  Guel - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Webster's pay cut will reduce his 2013 salary from $7 million to $4 million, and his cap hit from $9.845 million to approximately $6.845 million, saving the team an additional $3 million.

In addition to the Baas restructure, as well as the restructured deal of Mathias Kiwanuka last week, the Giants now find themselves at about $9 million ($8 million plus $1 million carryover) under the $123 million salary cap.

A source close to Webster also told Kim Jones "Corey needs to get back to acting like it matters to him." Of course, with this being a contract year, Webster has tons of incentive to rebound and play well, hoping to receive one last lucrative contract before that door shuts forever.

Although many have written him off after only one poor year, it's worth noting that Webster played through a very serious hamstring injury, as well as a broken hand in 2012. And while he may be aging, such a drastic downfall in athletic ability is rare and was undoubtedly impacted by said injuries. A healthy, and less expensive Webster is exactly what the Giants need in 2013.

Tags: Corey Webster, David Baas, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

41 Responses to “Corey Webster Takes Pay Cut; Will Remain with New York Giants in 2013”

1.  Levito says:

Haven’t had a chance to stop in lately as work’s just been way too busy. But I know this has been part of the conversation since the season ended, and I’m glad to see this work out like I thought it would. Webster had a down year in 2012, no question. But he’s proven since the 2007 playoff run that he’s a solid CB and the Giants weren’t going to find a better CB in FA at a reasonable price. Glad both Webster and the team came to an agreement. If he plays anything close to how he played from 2008 through 2011, $4MM will end up being a bargain for the Giants.

I agree complete with this piece. But I do wonder if this changes us from looking at a first round CB. While I agree we need someone to replace Webster next year do we draft a 1st CB with seemingly other needs that could play right away? Or maybe through free agent we will fill our holes to the point that we are back into more of the BPA role.

Repost:

Actually, I don’t like the restructure of Bass. It saves only 2 mil but locks us into big cap hits for the next 2 years from him. Chances are Bass won’t be worth 9 mil next year but what can we do with the likely amount of dead money associated with his contract. To me you want to restructure guys that will definitely be here for the next 3 years and I don’t think Bass has done enough to say that yet. That’s why I have been in favor of the Eli and Rolle restructures. The Kiwi contract restructure is questionable for the same reason as well. We did that with Diehl last year increasing the dead money of his contract for 2013.

4.  AdamGmen says:

I don’t often disagree with Dan, but he is wrong here. Drastic downfalls happen all the time in the NFL. Anyone remember Jason Sehorn? Not to mention I think Webster has been on a decline the past two seasons. To me Webster has been vastly overrated, I seriously doubt he has a bounce back season.

•  AdamGmen says:

The Giants miss Ross…badly.

Ross wasn’t even starting on the Jags last year while making 5 mil

•  AdamGmen says:

I’m not saying that the Giants should have paid Ross that much, it would just be nice to still have him on the roster.

I hope your right Dan, I’m not actively rooting against Webster. True at times the safeties did blow their coverage, but as the leader of that secondary Cory takes part of the blame. Webster was banged up this season, but thats not excuse for the awful body language he had. Anyone remember the time he gave up on the A.J. Green TD and just threw his hands up?

•  Levito says:

Terrible example. Sehorn tore his knee apart returning a kickoff in the preseason. Webster had a hamstring issue. Seahorn was never able to regain his speed. Webster should be able to recover during the offseason.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Jason Sehorn was the result of an injury.

Webster suffered a broken hand early on – couldn’t jam WRs at the line or be physical. His hammy was then torn off the bone and he couldn’t keep up with the WRs. The young/new safeties often blew coverages and failed to offer help over top, which the fans viewed as Webster’s fault. The Giants had no choice but to keep trotting him out there, injured, because the alternatives were street free agents.

Mark my words, write them down, save this, do anything you can to remember it: Webster will play well in 2013.

He’s 30. Look at another CB that was even worse than Webster in 2012, Terrence Newman in 2011. In 2012 Newman was very good at 32. It’s no safe bet that Webster returns to being the player he had been but at 4 mil it’s very good one. A rookie is probably not going to be any better than Webster in 2013, think Hosley. The rookie can learn and like Prince be ready to step up in his second year.

5.  TuckThis says:

I agree with Adam. Every player has an expiration date. Webster is beyond his.

•  Valid says:

He had one bad year. I think it’s only fair to give Webster another chance before writing him off as “done.”

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

You’re wildly incorrect for the same reasons I shared with Adam. And an expiration date is entirely different than hitting a wall. Even things with expiration dates take a while to deteriorate – it’s doesn’t happen in the blink of an eye.

I call this Derek Jeter-syndrome. I remember a couple years ago when fans were saying the same things about him they’re saying about Webster. How’d that turn out?

It’s even worse than the Jeter-syndrome because Jeter was the exemption. But tons of CBs play good ball at 30 not just HOFers. Tillman had his best year in 2012 and he’s 32. A CB like Al Harris was an allpro in 2007 at 32. Webster isn’t too old to be effective.

And as Dan points out … we don’t really know why he played so badly. Injuries … non-existent safety help … lousy defensive schemes … no pass rush ? I tell you, sometimes he had perfect position too … and was beaten by a perfect pass.

•  AdamGmen says:

Plus Jeter is a baseball player who takes steriods, just ask Skip Baylass

So who do we think is a lock to be off the board before pick 19? My take on those I consider definitely gone:

DT … Sharrif Floyd, Star Lotulelei
    DE … Bjoern Warner, Dion Jordan, Zeek Ansah
    CB … Dee Milliner
    S … Kenny Vaccaro
    LB … Jarvis Jones, Barkevious Mingo
    QB … None
    RB … None
    WR … Cordarrelle Patterson
    TE … None
    OT … Luke Joeckel, Eric Fisher, Lane Johnson
    OG … Chance Warmack

Total of 14 …

7 more on the bubble …

QB Geno Smith … despite not being in this elite company the position is so important that I fully expect a team to reach.
    DT Sheldon Richardson … Floyd’s rise has pushed him down a little, but a team needing a DT could easily snap him up.
    CB Xavier Rhodes … big, physical and a glamour position. I’m tempted to make him a ‘definite’.
    DE Datone Jones … more a 3-4 guy, but the right type to play against the pistol.
    OG Jonathan Cooper … just a notch below Warmack. Will start day-1 and for the next 10 years.
    OT D.J. Fluker … strictly a ROT, but like Cooper he starts day-1 and nails down that position.
    TE Tyler Eifert … if you need a TE then he’s your guy. Easily the top prospect.

Strictly IMHO …

I remove Werner, Patterson and Warmack, Vaccoro as locks. And probably Star too because like Jones he could have some medical questions. Werner could fall behind several with more athleticism and I have seen him available in our range. Patterson is a potential type of WR that everyone won’t love and only a few teams need WRs so if he isn’t picked by them he could slide some. Warmack is still a guard, while he is highly thought of some teams rate Cooper higher and I don’t think 2 guard even of their quality are guaranteed to go within the first 18 picks. The safety class is deep and Vaccoro is though to be a mid first rounder but he could easily slip a little bit given that teams don’t value safety as much as other positions and the class is deep.

I would add Smith to the locks just because he’s thought to be the best QB.

I absolutely LOVE these moves.

I’m telling you, Baas could be at center for another 5-6 years. Good NFL centers have long careers. And the increase that is built into his 2014-2015 cap numbers can be dealt with by another restructure and/or by the 2015 cap expansion.

Webster is, really, a $4MM veteran corner who is my candidate to have a big comeback year and wind up giving us great value at his contract number. I had suggested restructuring him (which would have stuck us with some money due next season) and drafting a corner with one of our top picks, but Reese did even better by forcing a straight give-back from Webster. Obviously, he was told that was the deal or be cut and his agent figured he wasn’t getting more than $4MM anyway from anyone else and would have to sign a one-year prove-it deal anyway in a system with which he was less familiar.

The Giants still need offensive linemen and a corner from this draft, but they can now lean more toward BPA than was the case before today.

As for the extra $9MM (and I still expect money to be available from Diehl, Rolle and Eli) I’m looking for a free agency signing of a defensive tackle, tendering Cruz, extending Nicks, quite possibly retaining Boothe (if not, getting a free agent offensive lineman who will be cheap) and much more likely retaining Stevie Brown.

The REALLY interesting play now would be to use the big bucks that will come off the payroll in 2014 (especially Snee), hold off on Eli’s restructure, and use that money to keep Cruz with Eli, essentially, “buying” Cruz for the next 4-5 years as a target. I am skeptical that they can pull that off because of the math, but it will be at least worth a shot.

And we are rapidly reaching the point at which Reese can pull the trigger on the true BPA for at least two of his first four picks in April.

I’m feeling it !!!

I don’t like the Bass move because I feel like we have doubled down on what has so far been a shaky bet. Bass should be here in 2013 without doubt but this almost locks Bass in for the next 3 years with hard cap penalties if we want to go in another direction in 2014 or 2015.

•  Nosh.0 says:

I’m too biased to comment on Bass. Me and him do not get along. He ruined any possible respect I could have for him after that dog ish of a 2011. My opinion of any Bass extension/ restructure is that I have no opinion. And I don’t like him.

8.  Nosh.0 says:

Just started my draft preparation this week…..Fantasy baseball draft suckas!!!! Really liking Joey Votto with the 7th pick.

As for the NFL draft, I know nothing. But those “First Draft” podcasts on espn.com with McShay and Kiper are awesome.45 minutes of great radio. A must listen in my opinion if you’re into the NFL draft. They usually do one a week leading up to the draft.

This last version they mostly talked about who was likely to go top 5, but McShay did mention that he loves Ogletrees tape. Wasn’t blown away by his workout and obviously some possible character red flags, but he said when you watch the tape Ogletree was a flat out monster.

For interested parties:

I think those two are much better at assessing prospects than how they fit a particular NFL team needs.

9.  Rosedale Is Back says:

I’m kinda upset with this deal I feel there were better CBs on the market that would have been better priced. You guys always say our guys have a down year because of injury said it with Baas said it with Snee and Tuck sometimes its best to cut ties and keep it business. Webster is washed up so is Tuck. Tuck has lost a step and mentally isn’t hungry anymore he got a contract and two rings same as Webster would have rather saved the whole 9 million and got a hungry young CB or drafted one. Our defense will never be top 10 with Perry so upgrade the offense and let Eli pick teams apart as he has shown when he actually has time. Cruz Nicks should be our priorities this year then grab a right tackle in free agency KC just dropped a stud and the bengals look to drop that fat boy who’s actually good give him a prove it deal. But offense is what’s going to take us to the next level not holding on to players who are past their prime on the defense.

Who? Every CB I can think of that could be better in the 4 mil range has serious questions too. Other CBs will be more expensive. Also, we are only locked into one more year with Webster so in 2014 we can get a high level of CB production (assuming a top 3 round CB selection this year) all on rookie deals. That can allow us to be higher priced at another position like WR than we have been.

10.  Rosedale Is Back says:

Cruz Bennett Nicks O-line that should be our free agent targets then look at that Knuckle head LB we all wanted when we Drafted JPP. Draft a corner 1st round and O-line rd two then go BPA rest of the draft