New York Giants “Likely” to Ask Corey Webster, David Diehl to Take Pay Cuts

March 6th, 2013 at 8:45 AM

'David Diehl' photo (c) 2006, Alexa - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ The New York Giants are not exactly in cap hell, but with many areas of need and several large contracts still on the books, they will still need additional cap space on top of the estimated $3.8 million they already have. And in order to clear some room, the team is "highly likely" to ask both tackle David Diehl and cornerback Corey Webster to take pay cuts prior to the start of free agency on March 12th.

If neither Diehl nor Webster agree to said pay cuts, both could find themselves searching for a new team in 2013 … which is something head coach Tom Coughlin doesn't want to have happen.

“I do [want them back]. I think there’s no doubt they can definitely help the team. I do want them back. They can still contribute,” Coughlin said.

Alas, the NFL is a business and after poor seasons by each, the team cannot afford to pay them their current salaries in lieu of signing other players who can help.

The 31-year-old Webster is scheduled to earn a base salary of $7 million this season, counting for $9.8 million against the cap. Meanwhile, the 32-year-old Diehl, who may still face suspension from the league after pleading guilty to DUI, is scheduled to earn a base salary of $4.475 million, counting for $6.9 million against the cap.

Although the New York Post report suggest the Giants will likely ask these two to take pay cuts, with only six days remaining until the start of the new year, chances are General Manager Jerry Reese & Co. already have.

SNY had previously reported that cutting Diehl would cost the team $3 million (saving them $4.45 million), while cutting Webster would cost them only $875,000 (saving them $9.1 million).

Tags: Corey Webster, David Diehl, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

11 Responses to “New York Giants “Likely” to Ask Corey Webster, David Diehl to Take Pay Cuts”

Both are cap sewers. Money flows down and is never seen again. While in another part of Giantville Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Martelus Bennett, and Kenny Phillips are wondering what team they’re going to end up playing for next.

Crazy world.

2.  F0XLIN says:

Just out of curiosity, who is quoted saying they are “highly likely”? TC or an unnamed source?

Draft Tek has a new mock up today. Rather interesting.

Boxed an Eagles fan into the slow lane on the drive to work today. But they’re used to frustration, so it probably didn’t have the desired effect. Felt good all the same.

5.  rlhjr says:

Draft Tek sometimes goes into a Pluto orbit. But they did stick Wilson as Reeseā€™s #1 last year. They had it for about a month prior to the draft and did not waver.

The Giants are trying to nail down two areas that you really do not want to entrust to rookies or complete strangers to the offensive or defensive system.

Deep in my gut, I would just as soon see both players go. But I understand the logic to an extent. My gut says Webster and Diehl are easier to replace than Cruz, Bennett or Phillips. Or in G101, (Webster + Diehl) < Cruz+Bennett+KP

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that the $13.5MM that the Giants could save by cutting Webster and Diehl would allow them an awful lot of flexibility as free agency commences.

With a total of about $17.5MM of cap space (plus whatever they can get from working something out with Eli and Rolle, which I still believe they should do) they would really be in the catbird seat.

They could go for a BIG free agent at one of the spots on the O-line, at corner, or at defensive tackle. They could retain Phillips and Boothe and Marty B if they so desired. They could extend Nicks and possibly sign Cruz if his agents get reasonable (I doubt the latter). They would still have the money to sign their rookies. The possible combinations are endless.

I think Webster could have a big comeback year. But I don’t see him on the team beyond 2014, so I’m not in favor of working too hard to retain him if I can get a quality corner by other means, which we can (free agency or one of our first two draft picks). I appreciate Diehl, but he is replaceable through free agency at a lower cost. For my money, I’d dump both unless they renegotiate WAY down, grab a decent corner and a decent-but-not-expensive offensive lineman in free agency, get a solid defensive tackle in free agency, sign my rookies, extend Nicks, tender Cruz, allow Boothe and Phillips to test free agency hoping they’ll be back willing to sign relatively team-friendly deals, and then go into the draft feeling that I can lean a bit more toward BPA than I might have been able to do otherwise.

There are plenty of valid approaches, but I’m not for letting two nearly washed up players diminish my flexibility in constructing a championship team. Diehl, Webster and Boothe are expendable. Bennett would be nice to keep, but only at the usual Giants’ $3-3.5MM for a quality tight end. I’d like Phillips back, but not for more than $4-$4.5MM. And I’d certainly take Boothe back at $2.25MM, but not much more. It’s time to let the younger guys prove themselves and to keep building through the draft and some prudent free agency deals. Dead wood requires a sharp axe.

•  rlhjr says:

Your post sums up how I feel. None of these guys is more important than the future. I have a feeling that as soon as the FA wheel starts spinning, Diehl and Webster will most likely be history.

Just as other teams had to let go a men with two or so years left. They cost too much to keep. But there is the specter of insurance that has to be considered. That said, the Giants have to clean house quickly and as prudently as possible.

7.  CT GIANT says:

I like rlhjr & fanfor55years, think both Webster & Diehl’s cap numbers are huge, relative to production. It’s always been a “what have you done for us lately” concept with “what can you do for us now”.
    Bennett is 6’7 275lbs, and Eli simply can make him better, and if you believe like I do, that Bennett isn’t so quirky, nor stupid, and is in “media heaven” here, he can actually be imo, a real pro-bowl player IF HE WANTS IT.
    Boothe is someone I like, and it’s simple, he can play just about anywhere, if pushed into that place and would prefer him next to Beatty, which with Baas, leaves RG, RT.
    I’m not a numbers person, but I do think, consistency plays a part on the front lines, and that doesn’t mean they fall apart, Ohara & Secuburt both soldiers went south day one, camp opened, and oh the panic of now what?

If Webster will take a big hit, he is worth a shot, at a comeback prove us wrong deal, but he gave up 899 yards, 8 TD’s his WR’s last year, and that is not acceptable. Diehl should reduce to a minimum deal, and let the Brewer’s; Capers; McCants; Mosley’s competition begin.

One last item. I said here that I would bet a ton of money , that the giants were targeting Doug Martin, and got some “smug answers back”.
    Hey, I’m a fan, been one about 52 years, and no, don’t know it all, never will, but like everyone else here, it’s about “opinions” most often, so I’ll leave it at that.

Best wishes giants faithful,