Ex-Giant Ahmad Bradshaw Hopes to Be Medically Cleared on Wednesday

March 5th, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Shortly before being cut by the New York Giants, running back Ahmad Bradshaw underwent another surgery to help with his chronically injured foot (see: feet). Now, with free agency rapidly approaching, the veteran back hopes to be medically cleared on Wednesday when he meets with his doctors so that he can visit and take physicals with teams.

Bradshaw has left the door open for a return to Big Blue, but also expressed an interest in playing for the New York Jets or any team closer to his home and family. Thus far, the Jets have denied having any interest in Bradshaw and few other teams are rumored to be looking his way.

After being released, an emotional Tom Coughlin praised Bradshaw for his toughness, and paid him one of the best compliments an NFL player could ever receive.

"Tough. He’s a young man, he’s a human being, nobody’s perfect, but when that guy took the field, there was never any question about what his intention was and where his intensity was and what he would bring to the table in terms of toughness, courage and how he played," Coughlin said. "The Giants organization loves Ahmad Bradshaw. We have tremendous respect for him and what he’s accomplished. He’s been on two Super Bowl champion teams and played the game when there would be many, many people who wouldn’t even try it. [He] can’t walk Thursday, but he plays on Sunday. From that standpoint, when he came down to my office, it was tough. It was very tough. I’d be less than honest if I didn’t tell you that."

The market for Bradshaw will likely be thin, and should no other teams take a flier on him, there is a remote (very remote) possibility he returns to the Giants on a one-year, veteran minimum-type deal.

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, Football, New York, New York Giants, New York Jets, NFL, Tom Coughlin

53 Responses to “Ex-Giant Ahmad Bradshaw Hopes to Be Medically Cleared on Wednesday”

1.  rlhjr says:

Hey Dan, I’ve experinced some issues getting to the site. Just glitching I guess?

2.  rlhjr says:

Not many pro players who don’t have “procedures” run every off season.
    A lot of lose debris floating around those joints. Litterally ware and tear that has to be cleaned up so it does’nt lodge in a joint and/or rest against a nerve.

Coach Caughlin on the Today Show, talking shop.

3.  rlhjr says:

Good interview coach.

Now that I’m back in football mode, I started thinking about the 2013 season. I think it could be very interesting over the next few months seeing what this team does. I suspect that we’re going to see some strange goings on over the 2013-2014 seasons before that cap increase kicks in.

Marty B. is busy tweeting that he’s happy to be a free agent. Well, maybe he’ll prove correct, but I have my doubts. In fact, I have a feeling that Will Beatty signed what I think is a team-friendly deal because when he and his agent surveyed the landscape they realized that this year’s free agency period wasn’t going to make many players rich, and was going to leave a LOT of good players the losers in a game of musical chairs when the music stops. I’m almost positive that the kinds of solid players who in years past would have managed to find deals in the $3-5MM range because they fit a team’s needs are going to be shocked that only a minority of them will get those deals and then the salaries available to the rest will fall off a cliff and drop to the $1-2MM range, with most clustering in the $1-1.5MM area. Among the players in this “group” are Kevin Boothe, Kenny Phillips, Ahmad Bradshaw, and just possibly Martellus Bennett. Good players all (KP is an “elite” player when healthy but health is a major concern with him). But there are a lot of good players who will be looking for jobs and some of them will not get offers that they are expecting.

Teams are dealing with the fact that their elite players are going to have to be paid. It’s a league that is becoming much more like the typical Wall Street house has become: pay your “stars” (the straws that stir the drink) a boatload of cash and then distribute what’s left to the peons and if they don’t like it they can leave because they’re all replaceable. Krow has talked about this for months now. But I think it’s just dawning on fans that the entire salary structure is going to be dramatically changed. The “mid-level”, solid contributor who is part of the backbone of the team (guys like Boothe, Hixon, etc.) are going to be tough to afford unless they’ll play for $1.5-$2MM or so. The guys who help on special teams and are decent depth players (Tryon, Cordle, etc.) are going to have to play for veteran minimum or just a touch more or they’ll be out of the league (at least until the cap expands in 2015). And once teams have bellied up and acquired a few of those mid-level players in free agency they are going to depend upon players on rookie contracts, their stars, and the acquisition of additional mid-level players at bargain basement prices.

The mid-level players and agents may not yet believe that there are only so many of them who will get decent contracts. My guess is that at best a large minority of them will see offers under $2MM that will not be raised, and that those who decide to take a chance and sign with no one, hoping that camp washouts and preseason injuries will open spots for them when a team NEEDS them, will find that the vast majority of those without deals will have to decide by July and August whether to play at veteran minimum deals (with modest incentives) or sit things out and hope their phone rings after the season has begun.

I may be wrong, but my view is that the Giants will have a pretty decent chance of seeing Boothe, Phillips, Hixon, Bradshaw, and perhaps even Bennett send signals that they are ready to sign team-friendly deals if Reese will have them. Bennett is the least likely of those to be back, but while I like him I believe that Giants’ fans have overrated him and he will not be viewed as a big “difference-maker” by most GMs and will not be offered a great contract by anyone. Will he get more than Reese will pay? Probably, but not by nearly as much as he expects, and he might be well-served by signing for another year or two here so that Eli can make him the elite tight end he hopes to be.

I think you and Krow are mostly right. But a different factor in the salary cap in the past is the floor. I believe the floor for this year is 89% so everyone has to spend so money this year. That will mean there will be a decent amount of players even mid level ones that make good money. I think it will be more like musical chairs and some players will get screwed just due to bad timing.

I think players like Hixon and Boothe have some value to team because they are quality guys and solid professionals that come from a winning environment. Also both players are extremely versatile which helps with those 46 man active rosters on game days.

Bradshaw will be interesting. I think he’s the poster child for my musical chair analogy. He could easily get 3 mil or 1.5 mil depending on how things play out.

Bennett has a clear suitor that has money in Tampa. So I think his situation is different. Any team looking for a 2 way TE will favor him in free agency. Chicago is also a possibility. But him returning isn’t out of the question if the Tampa offer isn’t crazy because I expect JR to make a good offer.

KP is the sleeper. I think money wise keeping KP is actually decent, even better than Bennett. But I do think him maybe not wanting to be here plays a factor.

I don’t want all of those players to return because I do feel we need more new blood. I rather none of them return than all of them. But a few of them would probably be the best of both worlds.

That Dwayne Bowe deal didn’t help us with Nicks and Cruz. There’s always some a-hole team that over pays. Usually a team that sucks too.

What were the details of the Bowe deal? All I saw was 5 years.

Here’s what’s being reported …

Per a source with knowledge of the contract, here it is.

1. $15 million signing bonus.

2. $750,000 fully-guaranteed base salary in 2013.

3. $250,000 workout bonus in each year of the contract.

4. $8.75 million base salary in 2014, $4.25 million of which is fully guaranteed now and $4.5 million of which is guaranteed for injury only now. The $4.5 million becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2014 league year.

5. $10.75 million base salary in 2015. $1.5 million is guaranteed for injury now, and it becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2014 (not 2015) league year.

6. $9.75 million base salary in 2016.

7. $9.75 million base salary in 2017.

It adds up to $36 million over the first three years, and $56 million over five. Of the amount, $26 million is guaranteed. $20 million is fully guaranteed now. The other $6 million becomes fully guaranteed next year.

Oh damn! If I’m Nick’s agent that contract is a starting point. I think the only way to possibly keep both Nicks and Cruz is to offer tons of guaranteed money and signing bonus in exchange for money the dollars per year and in aggregate.

The only advantage we have with Nicks is that he still has one year remaining so we could get somewhat of a bargain there.

Like I said months ago I don’t think we are keeping both Nicks and Cruz. And Nicks is more valuable. However, Cruz should be a few mil less expensive per season and has been more durable so it’s not impossible Cruz is kept instead.

It’s depressing to see those numbers. We have both Nicks and Cruz under contract for 2013 (rookie deal and RFA), and we need to use that to help get something done long term. Money is tight, but we’re pi$$ing it away on some mediocre talent when we should be focusing on keeping our excellent players.

6.  rlhjr says:

Bowe is the only game in (KC) town. It’s going to be about who blinks first.
    It’s a young mans game for sure. Smart teams will not spend to bring age on board and especially semi long term. Some really good players (as already stated) are going to walk. I honestly think that Revis may be forced to serve another year in purgatory with Woody n da Jets. He wants too much money.

San Fran could get him with draft choices, but they will not be able to pay him long term. On top of all that who knows if he’s healthy enough to resume his role as Island lord?

The smart players will understand there is not a lot of PHATT money being thrown around. No matter what the Giants have to draft solid contributing players in rounds 1-3. This year and next. “Keep your head, while all about you are losing theirs”. That’s what I’m talking about.

Any thought of keeping both Nicks and Cruz seems unrealistic in light of the Bowe deal. In fact I doubt he’s as good as either of them, yet he scores over $11,000,000 a year. Unless Reese can work some magic while he has a bit of leverage then we’re going to be waving farewell to one … or perhaps both … next year.

I’ve said before … every year you have to draft a CB and a WR. Because the market is high for these positions. And players do not see the long term.

Bowe could be an underrated WR. Look at the QBs he’s played with thus far. Basically, it’s like Fitzgerald without the Warner years. He’s a #1 WR.

But that doesn’t really matter. Even JR thinks Bowe is better than Nicks and Cruz, if they don’t agree it will be extremely difficult to keep both players. We have Eli who always will make a ton. Plus JPP will be paid soon. Keeping 2 high priced WR is not the right formula IMO as I have stated numerous times.

I’m actually OK if they decide to let one go. I can understand the logic. But it kills me to see Diehl, Snee, and Webster gobbling up cap dollars while Nicks and Cruz shop for another team. That makes no sense at all.

The NFL is not a perfect system. It depends when you are a free agent. Which is why Eli signed the biggest NFL contract in history and now Flacco has. All of those players have been well worth the money in the past. Only Snee is likely to see his contract in 2013.

Giants.com’s Michael Eisen takes a look back at the team’s 2012 Rookie Class

Adrien Robinson
    TE
    Cincinnati
    Fourth Round, 127th Overall Selection

Because he was completing his academic requirements at Cincinnati and did not participate in most of the offseason camps and programs, Robinson was behind the other tight ends and rookies when he reported to training camp. He was inactive for all but two games and his playing time was limited to special teams.

But Robinson said this year has been extraordinarily helpful in preparing him for the future.

“I’ve been learning a lot,” Robinson said. “(Tight ends) Coach (Michael Pope) tells me he thinks I need a year to develop and understand the system and get stronger, so that’s just what I’ve been doing. But I think it’s helping me out a lot because I’m much more comfortable with the offense now than when I first got here.

“It took me a few games into the season before I felt that I could go out there and execute without thinking as much. I’m still a rookie, so I’m going to make mistakes here and there, but I would say a couple of games into the season I felt pretty comfortable.”

With the benefit of a full offseason of work, Robinson and the Giants believe he can be a contributor for the team.

“He did a lot of good things in practice and unfortunately he wasn’t able to get a suit much during the season,” Reese said. “We still have very high hopes for him. He’s a big, talented guy that’s fast and can run and can do all the things. But again, it’s unfortunate that we weren’t able to get him the suit on Sundays and get him some experience playing in the National Football League. We hope he’ll continue to develop…have an offseason under his belt to go through. Hopefully, he’ll be able to help us moving forward as a tight end in our tight end stable.”

Most of Robinson’s practice work was on the scout team, where he was often asked to block the Giants’ standout defensive ends.

“I’m going up against Justin Tuck and JPP (Jason Pierre-Paul) and I’m getting to see how they line up against different offenses, so I just take that and use it to help me. I feel like this year has just been a learning process and I have to wait my time and it will come and I’ll be ready.”
    And about those roads…

“The highways are different out here,” Robinson said. “I’m used to getting on (Interstate) 75 (near Cincinnati) and going to exit 10. If I miss exit 10 you just get off at 11 and turn back around. Here if you miss your exit it can take you 30 minutes to turn back around. There are so many no left turns and it’s just different. In Cincinnati and Indianapolis (his hometown) it’s a lot easier to get around, but I’m getting used to it now. I’m a little more aggressive now.”

I don’t like the word ‘contributor’. What I want to hear is how he’s made dramatic progress and is going to challenge for the starting TE position. If he’s still learning then he’s not going to do jack for us in 2013. I know sometimes you have to work with raw talent. But it does us little good to prepare players for free agency. We’re becoming a training ground for other teams. Give rooks the benefit of our top coaching … patiently bring them along … and then watch them hit the open market.

This was a good strategy … before the salary cap crush. But it’s not working now, and needs a rethink. Multi-year projects are worthless unless they’re late picks or UDFAs. Anyone selected in rounds 1-4 should be expected to see considerable snaps by their second year latest.

It’s March. They haven’t given up on bringing Bennett back so that’s not going to be said. I think you should be worried if Bennett isn’t being brought back and they don’t include him as a challenger.

There isn’t one way for players to learn. Look at Aaron Rodgers or Phillip Rivers both players sat and learned. Putting in a rookie that’s going to make mistakes hurts your team then and might not be needed for that player to develop.

Most players aren’t NFL ready. so many of the players you get from the 3 round on aren’t going to be ready even if they play their rookie year.

Most teams that are playing heavy rookies had no other quality options so they just played them. I can work but the Giant way can work too.

5 years ago I’d have completely agreed with you. But now it seems like every good team loses players each year to the crap-a$$ bottom feeders who have no one of their own to spend money on.

The system works against the solid franchises who develop talent. I’m fine with a year of apprenticeship … but more than that and it’s not worth the squeeze any more. My opinion of course … nothing to back it up.

Our system doesn’t work as well in the current set up is something I agree about. However, I think it still works. By having less exposure to the outside world our young players can actually bet kept cheaper. If Beatty had been starting for 4 years his agent would have took his chances in the market. But with just 2 years starting even with his promise going to the open market was going to be chancy.

Absolutely agree. BUT, the cap will increase in 2015 and that might allow us to keep a player or two coming off his rookie deal who we might not have kept otherwise. Players drafted in April will be under contract through 2016 (2017 for the first pick), and the cap will be high enough to make a difference.

In fact, Robinson may be one of the first beneficiaries of that situation. If he is, indeed, “the JPP of tight ends” then they’re going to keep him even if it takes a chunk out of the cap space.

•  rlhjr says:

Tracy, Ojomo, Robinson, Austin, Brewer Hosley. They have to get some play.
        I think Hosley will benefit from his chance. The team has to commit to place these kids in game situations. Just as Wilson needed snaps. But it’s hard to get guys ready to go half way through the first year unless you are selecting in the top 10 or 15 every round. Winning kinda of puts the kibosh on that.

Another problem is losing the kids once you teach them what they need to know about playing. The league needs to expand the cap so that kids can stay with the teams who drafted them and still want them. But money talks, anything else is whistling in the dark.

I’ll say it again. Unless Nicks gets hurt this will be Cruz’s last season with the Giants (if no one takes him away after he is tendered). Bowe’s deal (which is probably what that team HAD to do because they couldn’t afford to lose him) doesn’t change anything. Even if the numbers were a few million less, the Giants are not going to pay Cruz anything like $10MM to stick around.

Nicks is absolutely the real deal. Randle looks like he could be special. It’s just a matter of whether he “gets” it this season early enough. And Jernigan, based upon the very little we’ve seen, is a pretty darned good slot receiver. Even Brandon Collins is thought to have some real potential in the slot. I love Cruz, but the Giants can live without him. You never want to lose a playmaker, but it happens. The cap is there to create competitive balance and it does its job quite well. Rather than cry over it, the thing to do is figure out how to replace a good part of his production. Some combo of a new slot receiver, good use of Wilson and brown out of the backfield, and a quality tight end (ie. Robinson) can accomplish that.

I’ll make a bold statement that will justifiably be criticized. Given my assumption that Cruz is gone come 2014 (unless Nicks gets hurt), and that the Giants are probably one year away from competing for the championship while the draftees fit into the team concept, I hope Reese does tender Cruz and I hope someone takes him and gives us a first-round pick in exchange (I’d bet on the Niners or the Pats as that team). A second pick in the first round gets us a quality player who will be around for at least five years. And we’d have three picks in the first 48 with Reese/Ross doing the evaluation. I’ll take that over Victor Cruz for one season, and take it gleefully.

•  James Stoll says:

I’m surprised how little love Cruz has received on this site especially given his relative durability v. Nicks. Nicks may well turn out to be the KP of the offense–all that talent but too many injuries, nagging and otherwise.
      What I find even harder to understand is the faith reposed in Randal and Jernigan. The latter is entering his 4th season and thus far has looked far more like Sinorice Moss than Victor Cruz (or even Steve Smith). And what exactly did Randal show in year 1? As I recall he caught maybe 5 or 6 balls.
      Everyone seems to agree that you need at least two playmakers at the WR position so the defense has to pick it’s poison. We have that. Why are people so willing to kiss it good-bye?

Actually, Randle looked terrific in the two games when they targeted him, and Jernigan also did pretty well when he got an opportunity.

No one WANTS to lose Cruz. The cap dictates that we lose one of Cruz or Nicks and I’m not buying that Nicks’ problems are chronic. A broken bone in his foot (but not the kind of severe problem that Bradshaw has) and a knee that was damaged at the MCL should not predict a perpetual problem. And as good as Cruz is, Nicks is better, and plays on the outside. He has to be kept, and will be.

It’s not the money you spend that hurts you … it’s the money you waste.