The four o'clock hour has come and gone, and the New York Giants have not used their franchise tag.
At an estimated $3.8 million under the salary cap, the Giants had no real room to place the tag, but as we saw only a year ago when they placed it on punter Steve Weatherford, you can never assume anything until after the deadline has passed. And now that it has, the Giants are left with a number of key free agents – many of whom they will not likely be able to re-sign.
Bennett recently tweeted that he's "not feeling the love" from the Giants, and probably wouldn't have been too thrilled with the tag anyway, while the team went a different route with Phillips, attempting to offer him a "modest" deal which he's taking into consideration as he heads into a potentially lucrative free agent market.
All of their remaining free agents will be free to begin negotiating with other teams on March 8th.
Also…Football, Kenny Phillips, Martellus Bennett, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Steve Weatherford, Will Beatty
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- New York Giants Co-Owner John Mara Says Team Will “Probably not” Use Franchise Tag
- New York Giants’ Jerry Reese Won’t Rule Out Use of Franchise Tag; Will “Investigate” Dwight Freeney
- New York Giants’ Steve Weatherford, David Wilson Set Franchise Records & Other Statistical Notes
- New York Giants’ Stevie Brown Sets Franchise Record with 259 Interception Return Yards
- New York Giants’ David Wilson Sets Franchise Record with 327 All-Purpose Yards
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/qs1