New York Giants, Kevin Boothe not Close on New Contract

March 3rd, 2013 at 1:00 PM

The New York Giants would like to re-sign offensive lineman Kevin Boothe, and he would like to return, but thus far negotiations have not gone the way either side had hoped. And although both sides have remained optimistic, they are no closer to a new contract than they were several weeks ago, and Boothe will become an unrestricted free agent (UFA) when the new league year begins on March 12th.

“We’ve had positive conversations on Boothe," his agent, Joel Segal, told The Post.

Should Boothe sign a contract elsewhere, the Giants would be left with only the inexperienced Jim Cordle, Selvish Capers and Brandon Mosley to fill the void. Needless to say, General Manager Jerry Reese & Co. can't afford to let Boothe slip away unless they have a solid back-up plan, which would likely include signing a veteran during free agency.

Boothe started all 16 games at left guard in 2012, and has proven to be a versatile and capable asset.

Tags: Football, Kevin Boothe, New York, New York Giants, NFL

12 Responses to “New York Giants, Kevin Boothe not Close on New Contract”

It’s always the same story. The player thinks he’s worth X amount of money … the team thinks it’s Y … and X is always greater than Y.

I don’t think it’s a sellers market for guys like Boothe, so Reese still may sign him. It’d be interesting to know how much he thinks he’s worth.

2.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

I don’t see how DD still has not been restructured or cut. With FA set to commence here soon, you would figure if they are truly interested in bringing Boothe back that they would restructure/cut Diehl and utilize at least some of that money to ensure that they keep him. Then again, they could have already made an offer that they feel is fair and Boothe is over-valuing himself. As I’ve stated before, I would like to see Boothe back – I thought he played pretty well and would factor in to the continuance of our OL, but I only want him back at a reasonable price; no more than $2.5M/season. I am not sure that Boothe possesses much more than we could get out of a rookie like Warford, Long, Barrett Jones, etc. – so it will be interesting to see.

One name I threw out yesterday as a potential replacement should the Black Unicorn leave is Fred Davis of the Redskins. Coming off of an achilles injury that he suffered at the beginning of the season and the off field issues he has had in the past with smoking pot, the Redskins are going to let him test the market. I think those issues would make it easier for JR to sign him to a “prove it” type deal, and that he would come relatively cheap. At 6’4 and 247 lbs. with the receiving skills that he possesses, he would be an excellent addition to our offensive weapons and be a good pairing to have with Adrien Robinson. I obviously would rather have Bennett back, but it’s looking more and more like it’s not gonna happen.

There’re probably a lot of things happening at once … and we’re not privy to any of them. Reese isn’t going to let on.

3.  Chad Eldred says:

Boothe will come back to reality, although I am betting that reality still won’t be our offer.

I wouldn’t lose any sleep over Kevin Boothe. He’s a “nice” player, but that’s all. He’s essentially the equivalent of a journeyman in the NFL who gains some additional value to the Giants via his combination of intelligence, familiarity with the system, and versatility. Eliminate the “extras” and he’s a typical $1.75-$2MM player. I assume the Giants have offered him something more (perhaps $2.25-$2.75MM) because they’d rather keep him than have to go into the free agency market and replace him at a lower price with a player who can get the job done but perhaps without the intangibles that Boothe possesses. But if Boothe leaves they WILL replace him with a free agent, or even with Cordle or Baas, either of whom can play guard if asked, and they will be drafting a guard in April in any case. If they grab that guy in one of the first few rounds he might be ready to plat early in 2013.

Boothe would be nice to keep, but Jerry Reese has FAR higher priorities right now than Kevin Boothe.

Good discussion the last few days:

Krow – numbers aren’t perfect but if you know which ones to use they can be very informative.

Carr I think will leave. He left once already. If you are a backup that feels you can play while not go to a team with the same offense that has a qb much more likely to miss time or be pulled.

Boothe I continue to believe is a bit underrated. He has really improved the past few seasons and he’s versatile. I I think he’s worth 2.5-3 mil per year. Cap wise the difference of 1 mil in value is not going to hurt us in 2013. Because his salary will likely be near the minimum with a signing bonuses serving as most of his 2013 pay. However, I don’t mind if we lose him, I just think he’s been better than some believe.

Tynes is much like Bradshaw, they both had provided memories but I believe we will be better off without him for 2013 because their 2012 production is replaceable. Both contributed to our winning these past 2 SB. Neither was an elite player but each were solid to good players.

•  Valid says:

No surprise that Carolina is eyeing Barden considering they are the team he had basically every catch of his career against.

So will we tag anyone? The clock is ticking.

7.  rlhjr says:

If Boothe plays it too cute, he’ll be history. Not so sure I would not prefer a draft pick anyway.

With or without him the Giants still don’t have a single holdover starter who can so much as pull for a run or screen. Beatty is most likely the only one athletic enough to get down field. That is UNSAT. I really hope one or two of the youngsters drafted over the last two years is close to ready.
    Even if they are not, Boothe is low pri.

•  Kevros says:

Boothe CAN pull. I’m not really sure why everyone seems to think he can’t. One of things where a few say it and everyone else just believes it. Don’t let the size of his a$$ deceive you, Boothe can pull…