Report: New York Giants Could Have Interest in Linebacker Daryl Smith

March 2nd, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Could the New York Giants possibly set their sights on free agent linebacker Daryl Smith? They are in the market for a linebacker or two, and Smith, who was rated the #1 free agent linebacker by Pro Football Focus, would make sense.

On Friday, a Florida Times-Union report suggested the union may happen, listing Big Blue as a potential suitor for Smith.

"And the New York Giants, who are looking for linebackers, could be a new home for Smith," the article read.

Originally drafted in the second-round of the 2004 NFL Draft, Smith has spent his entire career with the Jacksonville Jaguars, largely flying under the radar because he plays for a small market team. However, Smith has been quite successful while in the shadows, and had missed only four games over the span of eight seasons prior to missing 14 games in 2012 due to a groin injury.

In 126 career games, Smith has collected 538 tackles, 21.5 sacks and six interceptions.

While the prospect of Smith to the Giants is an intriguing one, it's important to remember that the Florida Times-Union merely suggested Big Blue could be interested. In other words, it's far from certain.

Tags: Daryl Smith, Football, Jacksonville, Jacksonville Jaguars, New York, New York Giants, NFL

45 Responses to “Report: New York Giants Could Have Interest in Linebacker Daryl Smith”

Could we possibly afford this guy? What kind of a contract might he command?

2.  kujo says:

Reminds me of the sorta stuff we read 3 years ago about that linebacker from Oakland that “we absolutely desperately needed” to have according to giantthinker/LT56fan, and others.

•  kujo says:

Kirk Morrison! That was his name, and he was totally worth a 5th or 6th round pick. Would’ve turned our whole linebackers around!

3.  kujo says:

kujo says:
    March 2, 2013 at 1:27 PM
    Can’t understand why anyone would greet this news as anything other than bittersweet. Tynes has been a very good kicker for us, and has been tremendously instrumental in our most recent Super Bowl victories. Did he have the strongest leg? Hell no. And did he shank a few field goals and extra points at truly inopportune times? Hell yes. But I’ll take consistency over “potential” in a kicker any day. It’s hard to properly appreciate reliability, but I’d liken it to a baseball team’s 9th-inning closer, in that it’s not so much the quality of the “stuff” that’s important, but rather the steely resolve and the self-calm that the player either has or doesn’t have. You can have the strongest leg–or arm– in the world, but if you sh*t yourself in crunch time (i.e.- Tony Romo), it doesn’t mean a damn thing.

I’m sad to see the Scot go, and guarantee that the next guy we have–strong-legged though he may be–will absolutely not start off being HALF as reliable as Lawrence Tynes.

Krow says:
    March 2, 2013 at 1:28 PM
    Yeah, feel the same. I liked the guy. But it’s time.

kujo says:
    March 2, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    I think I should reiterate that I agree with moving on from Tynes given his pricetag, and the need to find someone with a stronger leg. But I’m not nearly as gleeful as some on here appear to be.

Krow says:
    March 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM
    To be honest I feel that way about a lot of the guys who are leaving. They were part of a magical few years here … Superbowls are damn tough get … and we gorged ourselves on two of them.

•  Dirt says:

You’re right, he has always been known for his consistency – his consistency for being inconsistent. Go back and find a season ce Tynes has been here in which our kicker was top 10 in accuracy within 50 yards. Then add up the number of seasons our kicker was not in the top 10. Answer: 1 season in the top 10: 2008, when John Carney was here and in the Pro Bowl having made damn near everything while Tynes was hurt.

Tynes blows, sorry.

And if the excuse is the Super Bowls, then David Diehl should be our left tackle and Beatty should have been passed over to sign some actual contributors to at least one of those Super Bowls.

•  kujo says:

No one said he should be our kicker this year, and no one said he was a very good kicker. But he was a contributor to 2 Super Bowls, and a bunch of above-average football seasons. He gets my thanks and my appreciation. Hope he ends up on some harmless team like the Chiefs or something.

•  Dirt says:

And it’s convenient how his supporters have traditionally passed over the fact that Webster had to save him from his two misses so that he could have his 3rd attempt to go to the Super Bowl. “It was cold, waa” is OK for kickers, despite Eli and Plax having to do their job with the same ball in the same conditions, and they did well in the process. Fact is, they would have got butchered with a 50% completion percentage or dopping 50% of the balls that came their way.

I’m grateful he came through on the 3rd attempt, for sure. Grateful for all he added like any other Giant. But I’m not gonna sit here and hold my breath that the Great, Reliable Noodle Leg is leaving. Because, well, he wasn’t.

•  kujo says:

You’re taking far too much joy in this parting of ways, and making strawmen as you go. No one is deifying him, and I haven’t heard anyone disagree with the need to move on, for the reasons you referenced and others.

•  Dirt says:

Not you necessarily, but others have here.

But yes, anytime my favorite team, faced with the prospect of losing so many talented players, can shed maybe a few hundred thousand of cap space AND get rid of an unreliable hanger on, and it’s the offseason so there’s not much else going on, it’s cause for celebration!

•  kujo says:

The surest way to piss Dirt off:

1) Say something negative about Osi Umenyiora
              2) Say something negative about Mario Manningham
              3) Say something positive about Lawrence Tynes

•  kujo says:

Agreed with that last part, Krow, with the exception of David Diehl. I was speaking with my dad about it the other day, and said “I sure hope the Giants sh*t can Diehl in the next few days.” He then flew into a harangue about how disproportionate my hatred for David Diehl is, claiming that I would “like to see him beaten with a bat, and then drenched in honey and dipped into a porcelain tub filled with dorylus ants.” He’s on a Sons of Anarchy binge, so you’ll have to pardon the violence and the whole “flesh-eating ants” imagery.

4.  Chad Eldred says:

I’m with Kujo on Tynes. I was not a big fan early on, but Tynes won me over with the fact that he made the kicks when the kicks were big. There is no stat that encompasses the clutch factor. You say that being clutch is a myth, but Tynes kicked us into the Super Bowl twice. It’s easy to be enamored with the booming leg, but if a guy can’t get it done in the big moments, what good is he? Unfortunately the only way you find out if a guy isn’t clutch, is to have him fail in a big moment. Someone already mentioned the “wide right” Super Bowl. Norwood was a very good kicker, but I’m sure Buffalo would have settled for mediocre kicker who had gotten it done in the big moment. Tynes will be missed.

Hey, I think I’ve been the most consistent supporter of Tynes over the years. I really appreciate what he’s done for us. But the game is changing thanks to the Competition Committee and offense rules. You can build a solid defense but teams are going to score plenty of points anyway. And the ability to score when you need it from 45-52 yards out in a critical game is likely a big difference in those games that make a season.

Tynes, especially at the salary he’s looking for, had to go. I wish him well. He can still help some team. And he’s a first-class gentleman who was easy to like.

•  kujo says:

Agreed. We need to get better, but we could have certainly done worse. That’s all I’m saying.

•  Chad Eldred says:

If the next kicker gives us half the memories that Tynes has, I’ll be thrilled.

•  kujo says:

That comment is probably going to send Dirt into cardiac arrest, but I’ll say this–Tynes has never been better than an average kicker. But he’s been a good part of our team, a good citizen and a good player. I hope we can do better, but I’m not assuming that some rookie could get it done right off the bat. Just ask Matt Dodge.

Anyone know much about Smith? I confess to never having heard of this guy. Could he compete for the SAM spot if we signed him? Maybe a Kawika Mitchell type?

•  kujo says:

Dunno who he is, but I can’t imagine him being any good. He plays in Jacksonville…

Ah, so he’s part of the Witness Protection Plan. Nice of the NFL to show their patriotism (also shown when Goodell managed to make sure VideoGate evidence was disappeared).

•  Valid says:

I’ve seen him play a bit. The dude is good.

Very, very underrated player. He is very versatile. He is solid against the run, can put pressure on the QB, and does a fine job in pass coverage. He is essentially a jack of all trades, but just not fantastic enough at any one thing to be considered an elite LB.

I’d take him on the Giants any day of the week.

•  GmenMania says:

Smith was one of the best OLBs a couple years back, albeit not very well-known. He’s a little older now (31 in March), but has played very well in the past two season when he’s been healthy. He played very well last year, especially (2011). He could come cheap, as he played in Jacksonville, and was injured for most of the season last year. Would be a fantastic signing by Reese, and immediately the best linebacker on the team, IMO.

•  Kevros says:

He plays SAM in JAX, so I would imagine that’s what he would play here.

Valid is right. This guy is good if he can stay healthy. Thanks to Lavar Arrington, Barrett Green, Boley, etc. I’m a little wary of signing an injury-prone OLB. But his groin injury last year probably makes him affordable for us, and he’s got the potential to be the best OLB we’ve had in a while…

Well, I understand that Rupert Murdoch has a lot to do with the refusal to sign Tynes. Since he heard that the Giants had signed Buehler he has been drooling over the chance to have his back page showing the Giants’ kicker with his face mask down and his shoulders hunched and a blaring back page headline “Buehler’s Off Day” or “Buehler Takes the Day Off”. He ain’t letting this opportunity slip away. Tynes had to go. And whomever they bring in to compete for the job will meet a mysterious, ugly, fate.

8.  Valid says:

The reason why a lot of people are sentimental with Tynes is, let’s face it: the dude kicked us into two Super Bowls. Did he have a great leg? No. Did he miss some kicks? Absolutely, but Tynes gave all of us two of the greatest moments we’ve experienced as sports fans, and I will NEVER forget that, and none of us should.

9.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Would love Smith if we could get him at a reasonable price. He is (when healthy) one of the top 4-3 LB’s in the game. Unfortunately, like many other FA’s…I believe that he will be priced out of our range. I still would like to see us make a play at Philip Wheeler from Oakland, who is a tackling machine and should probably come relatively cheap.

One name I wanted to throw out in case the Unicorn walks is Fred Davis. Davis has had some issues in the past with smoking pot and is coming off of a tore achilles and the Redskins are going to let him walk. At 6’4 247lbs. – with the hands that he has, he could be a nice replacement for the Unicorn to pair alongside Adrien Robinson. I figure with the off-field issues he has had and coming off of a serious injury (it happened in the beginning of the season, so he should be ready by the time camp rolls around) that it would be worth signing him to a JR special “prove it” type deal and seeing what he can bring. Thoughts?

10.  Kevros says:

Looks like Smith a video for JR…

•  GmenMania says:

Looks like the Jaguars are stealing our slogans.

Next year’s will probably be “Build the Bridge”, though for them, that’s probably not a good think to encourage.