New York Giants to Meet with Former Philadelphia Eagles DT Cullen Jenkins

March 1st, 2013 at 6:30 AM

The Philadelphia Eagles released veteran defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins less than a week ago, and already he's beginning to line up possible suitors. One potential destination may come as a bit of a surprise: the New York Giants, with whom he'll be meeting on Friday.

The Giants are certainly in need of depth at the defensive tackle position, and could use an additional veteran presence after releasing Chris Canty – who has found more than a few suitors of his own.

Currently, 24-year-old Linval Joseph leads the group, and behind him are nothing but questions marks starting with Shaun Rogers, who missed the 2012 season due to blood clots, and the inexperienced Marvin Austin and Markus Kuhn.

Jenkins started all 32 games in his two seasons with the Eagles, recording 66 tackles and 9 1/2 sacks. Prior to joining Philadelphia, Jenkins spend seven seasons with the Green Bay Packers.

With only an estimated $2.5 million of room under the 2013 salary cap, the Giants don't have a whole lot of room to maneuver. However, teams don't actually have to be under the cap until the new league year starts on March 12th, so if they wanted to sign Jenkins, they could.

The nine-year veteran was originally scheduled to earn $5.5 million in 2013, which was the final year of a three-year, $25 million contract he signed with the Eagles in 2011.

Tags: Cullen Jenkins, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Philadelphia, Philadelphia Eagles

10 Responses to “New York Giants to Meet with Former Philadelphia Eagles DT Cullen Jenkins”

1.  G-MenFan says:

JR busy at work, conducting due diligence and “exploring all options”…

2.  The Original G Man says:

I like it.

For what it’s worth, Robert Nunn was his DL coach in Green Bay.

I heard some rattling in the trash cans out back last night. At first I thought it was that raccoon again. But once I flipped the light on I realized it was Jerry Reese.

4.  Chad Eldred says:

The thing that jumps out at me is that Jenkins played 32/32 games the last two years. I’m just curious how much jack this guy is going to expect. I’m inclined to believe that he is expecting more than we are willing to offer. But who knows?

5.  Emperor Norton says:

He’s the pass-rushing DT we haven’t had since Washington signed Cofield… he’d be a liability against the run, but it would mean the end of the “triple-team JPP and wait for someone else to make a play” offensive strategy that shut down our pass rush down the stretch last year.

I bet Jenkins could be had for $2-3 mil. One year ‘show me’.

•  LAFgoesON says:

I suspect Cullen can be had for far less than $2-3 million. Green Bay still owes him $1.5 UNLESS a team signs him for more than that, which I doubt anyone would. I see most teams finding that paying him less than $1.5 would allow Green Bay to fork over the rest of what would still be a great salary for Jenkins. If I’m the Giants I make him an offer of no more than $1.49 mil, knowing GB will pay the rest.

7.  The Original G Man says:

His brother certainly seems high on the idea of him signing with us.

8.  CT GIANT says:

Who plays ALL 32 Games on the Giants? Less then ALL 32, and with Rogers blood clots, 33 years, add Austin, OMG.
    Jerry if you can, sign him, TODAY!
    CT GIANT