New York Giants Have Made “Modest” Offer to Safety Kenny Phillips

March 1st, 2013 at 8:30 AM

The New York Giants very rarely let their free agents walk away without at least making them an offer, and safety Kenny Phillips will be no exception. Although it's essentially a foregone conclusion that he plays for a different team in 2013, the New York Post is reporting that the Giants have made their former first-round draft pick a "modest offer."

'Aaron Ross and Kenny Phillips' photo (c) 2010, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

"The team has expressed an interest in bringing back safety Kenny Phillips but, according to a source, it’s not enough of an offer to prompt Phillips to sign right now and he’s headed to the open market on March 12," wrote Paul Schwartz.

A "modest offer" is essentially a way of saying "we appreciate all you've meant to the team, we'd like you to stay, but we're not paying you big money." It's the same tactic taken with wide receiver Steve Smith, running back Brandon Jacobs and a number of other free agents that have been lost in recent years. However, it doesn't always result in the player walking away. Two years ago, the Giants made a "modest offer" to running back Ahmad Bradshaw, who went and tested the market. After drawing little interest, he returned to the Giants and accepted said "modest offer."

Unlike Bradshaw in 2011, Phillips is likely to receive a big offer here in 2013. Despite his injury concerns, he's an extremely talented and highly-rated safety when he's on the field, and someone out there will take an expensive flier on him. But, in the event that doesn't happen for whatever reason, the Giants will at least have an offer on the table waiting for him.

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, Football, Kenny Phillips, New York, New York Giants, NFL

25 Responses to “New York Giants Have Made “Modest” Offer to Safety Kenny Phillips”

1.  F0XLIN says:

I know there was a lot of speculation Carolina would make a run at KP, but from what I’ve read they are over the cap as of today. I really hope JR can find a way to keep KP.

Are there any estimates where we sit cap with Beatty’s new contract and the $123mio cap?

•  jfunk says:

Last I saw I think we were about $4M under the new cap.

•  Hanshi says:

From Dan on the last article: “With only an estimated $2.5 million of room under the 2013 salary cap, the Giants don’t have a whole lot of room to maneuver.”

2.  Hanshi says:

Abraham, Robinson and Turner to be released by Atlanta today.

This is why I say that the notion that there’s a pot of money waiting for all these free agents is very optimistic. Sure, some will sign legendary deals … others will sign for back-loaded fool’s gold. But many will be on the market for a long time. And Reese is a master at signing up those.

•  demo3356 says:

Mr Umenyora? Paging Mr Umenyora.. Mr Dimitroff is waiting for you in his office..

3.  demo3356 says:

I belive with the bump in the cap we are now 4-5 mil under cap. I have a bad feeling KP plays for a division rival next season. Carolina is in much worse cap shape then we are, but they have some dead weight and dont have the Victor Cruz, black unicorns of the world to try and re sign. Dallas, Philly and Washington are all in dire need of safety help. Luckily Dallas has had Jerruh **** banging their cap for the last ten years so they are like 10 mil over even after a flurry of restructures

•  shmitty013 says:

Washington is $3M over the cap right now. I’d be surprised if they make a big play for KP. Definitely have to make some moves first.

4.  Hanshi says:

Are they creating cap space to sign Osi? http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/01/falcons-to-cut-dunta-robinson-michael-turner-john-abraham/
    Falcons to cut Dunta Robinson, Michael Turner, John Abraham

I would not be surprised to see us sign 3-4 mid-to-bargain level FAs.

6.  demo3356 says:

LOL, GMTA!

7.  Hanshi says:

Robinson had an 8 mil 2013 cap hit.

8.  demo3356 says:

IF Reese can clear enough room to Keep just Cruz, Bennett and the rfa’s erfa’s, he will be able to stock up on vet minimum deals for guys who want to chase a ring. What just happened in Atl is going to happen several more times in the next 2 weeks and after the big deals hit and the cap money is spent, their will be a TON of quality vets looking for work.. Even though the vet minimum is close to a mil, thanks to the new CBA, they only hit the cap for like 455,000. As I have been saying for a while, I think we say goodbye to a bunch of guys, keep our core youngsters and fill out the roster with Rookies and vet minimum deals.

•  F0XLIN says:

Demo,

I continue to agree with you on everything you are saying expect that KP should be a higher priority than Bennett.

•  Hanshi says:

I agree because we have Adrian Robinson (the JPP of TE’s) and a very deep at TE draft coming up.

•  demo3356 says:

Thats a tough one bro.. I LOVE me some KP.. I was with HAZ and ROC screaming for him to be the pick in 2008 and I totally understand that the defense is at a completely different level when he is out there.. If I were the GM, Deihl would be cut, Webster would be restructured and I would franchise KP and sign Bennett before FA starts. Thankfully someone much more qualified is running the team and I expect he will make a much better decision than I would. My thoughts as to why KP is a goner (not at all happy about it BTW)
        1) We are strapped for cash and have to re sign Cruz, then Nicks
        2) KP has a degenerative knee issue that is only going to get worse
        3) Safety even without KP is one of our deeper positions with Rolle, Hill, Brown
        4) TE has a raw project and 2 complete stiffs in Pascoe and Donnell
        5) Bennett is young and very talented. Could be top 5 all around TE next year if he stays with Eli
        6) A bunch of Teams are desperate for safety help and Phillips is known around the league as one of the best deep safeties
        7) there is some bad blood / unhappiness between KP and coaches/ Trainers about the way his injury was handled

•  F0XLIN says:

KP’s original microfracture surgery was on his left knee, and was unaware it’s degenerative. His right knee injury was to his MCL, which is the best you can ask for, heals itself 100%. You see knee injuries to the opposite side often due to the body’s natural tendency to favor the other. My opinion is based that his LEFT knee is not degenerative and will be fine for the next 4-5 years.

After that boring explanation, for me it comes down to… anytime KP is on the field, the D is above and beyond on a different level, the same cannot be said for when Bennett is on the field

I disagree. The difference between Bennett and Pascoe might even be more glaring than the difference between KP and Brown/Hill. Maybe the equation differs if Robinson is ready but Brown/Hill can also improve. Losing either player will definitely hurt but neither is irreplaceable.

The issue with franchising is that that full amount counts against the cap. I think the safety number is like 6.5 mil. So signing anyone and franchising Bennett would be impossible without another move like an Eli extension. I think if KP stays it’s a regular because it allows us to be much more creative with his 2013 cap number like with Beatty. I think KP is probably gone but the market with so many safeties has me thinking he’s got the same chance as Bennett as return both like 33%. KP’s degenerative knee issue with other comparable safeties could easily have him sliding down the pecking order leaving his returning in a Bradshaw type way from 2011 offseason as very possible.

9.  Hanshi says:

Wow! Margus Hunt is huge. 6’8″ tall 277lbs and atheletic.

Krow – I am have come over to you side on there being only so much money. While we are caught all of our cuts many teams have made similar cuts and restructures. Some will get paid but some of the second tier free agents could have their money dry up. That’s one of the reasons Beatty re-signed. And that could lead to KP unexpectedly returning. And maybe even Boothe being cheaper than I have been thinking to re-sign. The one player that these cuts have’t affected is Bennett. He’s still the best TE on the market even if players like Finley or Lewis are cut by their teams he still has a pretty strong market. Only Lewis if he’s cut can provide a similar talent as a 2 way TE.