March 1st, 2013 at 12:30 PM

On Sunday, 28-year-old female soccer player, Lauren Silberman, will become the first woman in NFL history to participate in a regional combine. And although she's only recently started to kick long-range field goals, there will be a number of people on hand to witness her attempt to break the NFL's sex barrier at the New York Jets training facility in Florham Park, N.J.

"I am working hard to prepare but I am also realistic about my chances," she wrote in an email. "I hope my willingness to put myself out there inspires others to seize opportunities and challenges. The support from around the world has been so heartening."

Silberman's push towards an NFL career has garnered the attention of many current and former kickers/punters, including former New York Giants punter and two-time Super Bowl champion Sean Landeta, who fully supports what Silberman is doing.

"I think it's courageous on her part in trying this, and certainly groundbreaking if she could prove her skills are good enough to play in the NFL,'' he said. ''What a team's policy would be as far entertaining the thought in signing a female, that's still debatable. No one knows that answer. … I give her points for giving it a shot. She's obviously following her dream."

The odds are long, especially as she'll be kicking amidst a group of men with far more experience than her, than it's a tremendous step for women who hope to someday put on the pads and play in the National Football League.

Tags: Football, Lauren Silberman, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Sean Landeta

16 Responses to “Former Giants Punter, Sean Landeta, Commends Female Kicker, Lauren Silberman, for NFL Tryout”

1.  F0XLIN says:

He commended her and then tried to play hide the string bean

I bet she out kicks Tynes.

3.  shmitty013 says:

She’s kinda cute. Wonder how much of a distraction she’d be to any of her teammates if she made a team. Good luck to her, hope she pulls it off!

•  Jason McEwan says:

Hope I don’t $exist but I kinda hope she doesn’t, a kicker (though rarely) is asked to make special teams tackle sometimes; I’d hate to see her get mauled by a KR to try and save a TD.

OK … I have a friend who wants to buy Superbowl tickets … does anyone know the procedure?

5.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Great PR story…but this is just another example of the pussification of America. It’s not sexist – football is a man’s game…and I am pretty sure about 99.9% of women are fine with that. The fact is that these players are much bigger and faster than they have EVER been before…and without similar training, she could get injured very easily. If she went out there and got injured the feminists would rip the league to shreds. Goodell needs to get it together and quit watering down the sport; a LOT of players have already had issues with the rule changes over the past few years…

•  Kevros says:

Saying its not sexist, doesn’t make it not sexist. The fact is, if a female cannot compete successfully in the NFL, she’s not going to get a contract. It’s that simple. To play any position other than P or K, you would need to be jacked out of your mind just like every other player in the NFL and the likelihood of a female being big enough and strong enough (without PEDs) and having the desire to play in the NFL is pretty slim. But if Silberman is good enough to win a contract to kick in the NFL, that’s fine with me…

NFL Network scroll reads: “Cruz is unlikely get a long term contract this year” citing WFAN as a source.

•  jfunk says:

Way too early to tell. I think it’s extremely unlikely that he gets anything but a tender offer anytime SOON, but that doesn’t mean something won’t happen this year.

The Giants are in rush. They can give him the 1st round tender and then completely ignore him the rest of the off season. Once summer rolls around they have all their ducks in a row, they can look at how much cap space they have/can free this season and make a long term offer to Cruz. Or not.

As for Silberman, I wish her luck. I wouldn’t want her on the Giants simply because I wouldn’t want the distraction it would cause, but I’d root for her to do well on another team. Until the day she makes her first tackle, she might actually have an advantage on kick coverage. I suspect the majority of players would be reluctant to lay a hit on her for fear of being “that guy”. Of course that courtesy would go out the window the day she made a TD saving tackle.

7.  somethingtofollow says:

people said the same thing about the military, now they are allowed in combat arms. Im sure Goodell is getting pressure from the same lobbyists that made Obama and Congress cave

8.  BBWC says:

She could draw a lot of “illegal use of hands” penalties… sign her up!

Bucs could be interested in David Carr

Despite the fact he hasn’t started a game since 2007, and has a career record of 23-56, there appears to be a market for Giants backup quarterback David Carr.

No, really.

According to Mike Garafolo of USA Today, the Buccaneers were interested in Carr a year ago, and “should be again.” The link is former Giants assistant Mike Sullivan, now the Bucs offensive coordinator.

The Bucs might want someone to push Josh Freeman, but not to the extent they have to pay that person a load of money, and Carr could satisfy that requirement.

Since taking a horrible beating as the first pick of the expansion Texans, Carr’s career has settled into a comfortable groove. He ended up playing more than he anticipated with the Panthers in 2007, and has since spent four years with the Giants and one with the 49ers without starting a game.

He’s thrown 61 passes in the last five years, and even if he plays for the minimum, can bank another million bucks.

Life is not always fair.