February 28th, 2013 at 8:45 AM

With left tackle Will Beatty now locked up for the next five years, the New York Giants can turn their attention to another offensive lineman who's slated to hit free agency: Kevin Boothe.

Back in early January, Boothe admitted that his future with the team was uncertain. He understands the NFL is a business and other priorities may prevent him from returning to Big Blue, but while conducting a recent interview with Giants.com, Boothe acknowledged his desire to return to the team that has "done everything" for him.

"I think you want to stay with a very successful organization such as the Giants," said Boothe. "They've done everything for me that I can possibly dream of. They've been incredibly successful and it's a great organization."

Despite his desire to remain in New York, the veteran is also anxious about free agency and the prospect of striking it big somewhere else.

"I don't think it's a bad thing, I think it's more anxiety," said Boothe. "You wanna, kind of figure out things. I'll join it, see how it goes, and control the things I can control and see how everything plays out."

On more than one occasion, General Manager Jerry Reese has raved about the importance of retaining Boothe. In August of 2011, he was widely mocked when he called Boothe one of the Giants' "priorities." That assessment quickly proved to be accurate, and Boothe has proven to be every bit as valuable and versatile as Reese suggested. Fast forward to now and nothing has changed.

Boothe is still an important key component to an offensive line that lacks depth, youth and health. Whether or not the team will be able to re-sign remains to be seen, but there's no doubt they'll do what they can to keep him in the Big Apple.

Tags: Football, Jerry Reese, Kevin Boothe, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Will Beatty

22 Responses to “Kevin Boothe, “Anxious” About Free Agency, Would Like to Remain with New York Giants”

1.  The Original G Man says:

@Giants_101
    RT @TomRock_Newsday One familiar name to keep in mind as the Giants look to add some post-Canty depth at DT: Former Giant Jay Alford.

2.  F0XLIN says:

Boothe also said yesterday he wants what Beatty got, that ain’t happening.

I woke up this morning pondering the best way we are going to defeat the high paces offenses, the option, the pistol and whatever else we will face this year. While conventional wisdom points me to Stanford vs Oregon, interior pressure off the snap to disrupt the timing remains true for the pistol/option. I think our best bet is giving Eli a legit O line to throw behind, our running backs legit lanes to run through, long sustained drives, ball control, and time of possession will be more and more crucial.

1st round DJ Fluker (unless Warmack is there but that dream is over)
    2nd round Barrett Jones (hoping his injury will slide him deep enough)

Roll tide roll

•  demo3356 says:

Yeah that’s a cute wish list..Here’s mine
      1) an hour with Kate Upton
      2) a hour with Mila Kunis
      Lets see who gets lucky first..
      I’m pretty sure the Giants are going to stick with their formula of drafting a lineman or two between rounds 2-6 and developing them over time under the tutelage of the great Pat Flaherty.. Absolutely zero chance they start off drafting 2 lineman. I think the resigning of Beatty takes OT out of the mix in round 1. ROT will be a combination of Brewer or a restructured David Deihl

3.  demo3356 says:

Not long ago, NFL owners were squabbling with each other about the disparity in revenue among the high-earning and low-earning franchises. (Coincidentally or otherwise, those gripes disappeared once the most recent CBA was completed.)

Now, teams have a different topic on which they differ: Cap space.

Some teams have plenty. Others don’t have very much. Others are in the red, and they’re currently scrambling to jettison the excess.

In theory, it should make for an interesting restricted free agency period, when cap-rich teams can rob from the cap-poor by frontloading offer sheets that as a practical matter can’t be matched.

The most intriguing name in the restricted free agency market this year will be receiver Victor Cruz. The Giants are expected to tender him at the first-round level. (And if Alex Smith is worth up to two twos, Cruz is worth at least a low-to-mid one.) While the Giants aren’t among the worst of the cap situations, if a team is willing to offer something close to first-day-of-free-agency market value, the Giants likely will pass on matching.

In practice, however, restricted free agency has become a useless exercise in recent years. Some (like Ross Tucker — I mention him in part because I know how much he likes to see his name in print) believe that teams don’t pursue restricted free agents because the right to match means that the prospective team will have simply negotiated the player’s new contract with his current team, for free. But if teams with cap space target RFAs from teams without it, that won’t happen in 2013.

If, given the current cap disparities, there continues to be little interest in restricted free agents this year, the NFLPA may want to explore the question of whether the NFL has adopted an unwritten agreement to not pursue each other’s restricted free agents.

Fair point. I think it will be interesting if we tender Cruz and someone offers him Beatty’s contract. which seems to be more than we want to pay Cruz but not quite what Cruz wants. That type of deal would be interesting to see if we matched. I don’t think we would with a first round pick in return but we definitely could.

4.  LUZZ says:

What’s the word with camp this year? I know they moved it to the meadowlands, right? Are we anticipating it being fan friendly and a decent weekend trip for out of towners or was Albany better for fans?

Trying to decide whether or not to make a weekend trip this summer.

jfunk … completely agree with your post in the previous thread.

I agree with Krow that Brewer and Robinson are key in determining how we attack free agency and the draft. Brewer especially is important because if we really feel he’s ready we can draft another 4th round OT who can be our backup swing tackle. Robinson is not as clear cut as Brewer because re-signing Bennett could mean we plan to use many more 2 TE sets going forward so we need 2 complete TEs instead of getting away with a limited #2 TE like we have for years.

I think Boothe has more value than some like to admit for 2 reasons beyond his play which has been a little underrated. First keeping means we have 4 returning starters at the same position on the OL, we haven’t had that in several years. That allows chemistry to build which can lead to a more effective unit. Second Boothe is versatile and can play the 3 interior positions with no problem and even RT in a pinch. This allows us to be able to dress less OL on game day and have another player which can help special teams.

Boothe is insane if he thinks he’s in the same league as Beatty. Beatty is a solid, above average player at a premier position. Boothe is ‘a guy’ playing low priority OG.

If I’m paying that kind of jack I want Victor Cruz.

Goodbye and thanks for all the fish.

•  demo3356 says:

Yeah Boothe wont sniff that kind of money. To me he is slightly above vet minimum or he can walk. Bigger fish to fry with the limited funds we have.

8.  Chad Eldred says:

I’m still scratching my head regarding the Alex Smith trade. Last year the guy comes within an eyelash of taking his team to the Super Bowl, then hits the open market and nobody will even kick the tires on him. This year he is benched mid-season and somehow is then viewed worthy of multiple high draft picks. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.

•  Chad Eldred says:

And Kevin Boothe must be popping the same pills if the thinks he is getting, or justly deserves, Beatty money. You had a nice year Kev, but how about you get acquainted with reality.