Martellus Bennett “Not Feeling the Love” from New York Giants; Likely to Walk?

February 27th, 2013 at 4:30 PM
By Paul Tierney

The New York Giants just signed Will Beatty to a five-year, $38.75 million contract that locks Big Blue's starting left tackle into place for the foreseeable future. So as the Giants turn their attention away from Beatty and onto other tasks, it stands to reason that free-agent-to-be  Martellus Bennett should receive more attention form the Giants front office now that the salary cap situation is more transparent.

'David Carr and Martellus Bennett Warm Up' photo (c) 2012, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

However judging from recent tweets, Bennett does not seem too optimistic about a potential return to the Giants.

“I dunno bro. Not feeling the love,” Bennett wrote. “They have other priorities that come before little ole me. I’m just a small piece of what they’re trying to do there. … I’ve come to the conclusion that we are just temporary investments to the owners. Value money and growth over players. … Just like any business. Employees aren’t as valuable as we use to be. Everyone needs a job. Lol.”

Obviously, Bennett does not seem too happy with how the team has approached his impending free agency. Nor should he be. After emerging as an elite blocker and capable receiver down the field, Bennett is in line for a raise in 2013. It's just unclear as to whether that will come from the Giants or from another team in the league. He's been rumored to want to play with his brother, Michael Bennett. Michael Bennett is a defensive end with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a team that has both the salary cap flexibility and personnel needs in which to have the brothers on the roster next season.

However, as Bennett eloquently scribed on his twitter account this afternoon, the NFL is a business. The Giants have 26 free-agents to worry about this offseason. Several of those free-agents were instrumental aspects of one or more Super Bowl championship teams. As solid as Bennett's production was in 2012, the Giants have larger needs on this roster right now than at tight end. It's a reality that Bennett is not happy with, but one he must come to accept this offseason.

Eventually, the Giants will talk to Bennett regarding a possible return. It may not be prior to the inception of the league year, as the team may want to let the market set the price for Bennett's services. Regardless, it seems likely that Bennett will have to take a "hometown discount" to stay with the Giants. That's a term that several players love to throw around for good publicity, but rarely follow through on. It's likely that Bennett will bolt to the team that pays him the highest salary, and it's likely the Giants will not be able to compete with that offer.

With Adrien Robinson waiting in the wings and the potential value the team could find at tight end with the 19th pick in the 2013 draft, it may not make too much sense to break the bank for Bennett. It's unfortunate, but there are very few players around the NFL who are irreplaceable. Martellus Bennett is not  one of them.

Tags: Adrien Robinson, Football, Martellus Bennett, Michael Bennett, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Super Bowl, Tampa Bay, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Will Beatty

63 Responses to “Martellus Bennett “Not Feeling the Love” from New York Giants; Likely to Walk?”

1 2 3
  1.  kujo says:

I imagine that Reese will be having this conversation with Bennett and Cruz

2.  shmitty013 says:

Joel Corry ?@corryjoel
    Eli Manning has the NFL’s highest 2013 cap number at $20.85M. He counts at $20.35M for Joe Flacco’s exclusive franchise tag calculations.

And my repost from last article since it’s relevant to that tweet:

shmitty013 says:
    February 27, 2013 at 3:57 PM
    According to Pat Traina (if you have any questions and have a twitter, she almost always responds), she said that there is no waiting period for Eli to restructure his contract as some here have said. The only way they would have to wait a year is if the player gets a raise.

Repost:

I want Bennett back but I think we are up against it with him. It seems by his comments that taking a hometown discount isn’t as likely as it seemed even a week ago. And if that’s not the case TB looks tough to beat for his services assuming they re-sign his brother.

JR signed Bennett and drafted a prospect like Robinson to be ready for 2013. We will make an offer to Bennett but I doubt it will be his market value. Maybe JR played it wrong and he should have gave his best offer right off the bat to make Bennett feel wanted. Some of these guys are sensitive and being wanted really matters. Bennett marches to his own drum so I think his words mean more than if it was another player.

•  F0XLIN says:

I agree with the article you posted on the last thread. I’m more concerned with signing Phillips than Bennett to a deal which would protect them in the event of another knee injury.

When Phillips is on the field, the D hits a different level

Yeah I agree but is he worth what he’s looking for if the replacements for him are not that much worse and are still improving? It’s a hard choice. It looks like he’s gone in part because he wants to be but because there are so many good safeties on the market he could end up re-signing at a reasonable price.

4.  TroyThorne says:

I’ll take the wait and see approach with Bennett. If we know anything about the Black Unicorn it’s he’s a bit of a drama queen. Sounds like these tweets are a bit of pouting from an overly sensitive dude that aren’t necessarily based in any sort of facts from failed negotiations or something.

•  demo3356 says:

This

•  kujo says:

I’ll add that Reese could very well be operating on the knowledge that Adrien Robinson will be ready to make a substantial contribution this season, and that he will likely be able to find another player for a 1-year “prove it” deal, just like he did with Bennett. I’d love to have Bennett around here for the long haul, but it was infinitely more important to lockdown Beatty, and it continues to be infinitely more important to nail Cruz and Nicks down to longterm deals.

Repost:

I’m reposting my favorite link. This guy had Beatty at 5 years 42.5 mil but with only 16 mil guaranteed and a 10 mil signing bonus. Pretty good guess. I think Beatty might have willingly given up some possibly money for more guarantees and money upfront.

If he’s right Bennett will be back in the fold as well.

6.  kujo says:

Now what are we gonna do about Boothe? I doubt very much that we bring him back. He strikes me as exactly the sort of “good not great” player that teams make the mistake of overpaying because of the lack of talent behind him. The likely candidates to succeed him include Diehl, Cordle, Mosley and McCants, none of whom present themselves as ideal, for a variety of reasons. Thus, the tendency might be to overreact and pay Boothe…and I seriously hope we don’t do that. Give one of the newbies a crack at the LG position and/or draft someone higher than the 5th round who could push for reps this season. Worst case scenario is that we elevate the collective talent pool and give ourselves some wiggle room should Snee’s contract continue to be too rich for his actual output.

•  kujo says:

Related:

Patricia Traina ?@Patricia_Traina
      One other thought for those wondering. No, I don’t think Diehl will be released until the situation with Boothe is resolved. Diehl and his cap figure still provides a lot of versatility on the OL.

•  TroyThorne says:

Is it still considered versatility when you’re terrible at every position?

Yes, but only if you work for the government.

•  kujo says:

Hey, you don’t have to convince me of Diehl’s awfulness, which just happens to be the subject of a very recent heated debate between me and my father (who loves Diehl). But he’s still on the team, so that means that the Giants’ perception of Diehl is apparently different than ours.

No it doesn’t mean that. Why release him with both Beatty and Boothe as free agents? That only increases their leverage. There is no bonus to releasing him now if we are already under the cap.

•  kujo says:

He’s been sucking for 3-5 years, GOAT. That’s my point–Diehl has been a far below average player for quite sometime, and yet he continues to play for the New York Giants. They value him more than we do.

•  kujo says:

And yes, there’s no “bonus” to releasing him now, but doing so clears up space to sign players before free agency starts. Evidently that’s not the priority for Reese right now, and Diehl will very likely be politely asked to take a huge paycut in order to stay on the team.

Right now is relative. My point is if he’s still here on March 12th at the same number then that hurts us free agent wise. But right now we can only re-sign our players and players who were released.

•  kujo says:

Right. We can only resign or extend Cruz, Phillips, Nicks, and JPP. I’d say that’s worthy of consideration.

Those deal are not being held up because of Diehl they are just not agreed to yet. If that were the case I would agree but I think your hatred for Diehl has you think even past the worse. The cap space we have can probably still sign any one player given their first year will be mostly bonuses and a low cap number.

Ok the teams thinks of him more highly than you and can agree to that. But that doesn’t mean the team values him highly because he’s still on the roster. Free agency hasn’t even started yet. Remember he was replaced at RT for Lockear this past season, Lockear just got hurt soon after. But he’s here just in case IMO. It seems clear that in the worse case he’s coming back to battle for the RT job at a much lower cap number than he carries now. At absolute worse Diehl will be the RT because Brewer/rookie/cheap vet couldn’t win the job from him.

•  kujo says:

Well, if they were to draft a tackle like Fluker in the 1st, that would blow up your whole “couldn’t win the job from him” thing.

True. Look let’s be clear I don’t want Diehl back. I think keeping him as a backup is unrealistic and we need to just cut ties. But I’m not getting up in arms that’s he’s on the roster in February.

I doubt we draft Fluker because I think JR believes in Brewer. He was a project so in year 3 he should be ready, much like Beatty.

We are not a team that overpays, especially our own free agents. I think when you look at Webster, Diehl, Boothe, Bennett and KP the most that will return is 2 players and quite possibly one player. If we don’t re-sign Bennett and cut Diehl that increases the chances of Boothe returning. I rather have him back for chemistry reasons but if it’s a choice between him and Bennett, I’m taking Bennett. I also take Webster at 5 mil or less over Boothe as well.

7.  kujo says:

Will Beatty’s reaction to re-signing with the Giants? “It’s good to be home,” he said. “It’s a great feeling. You could be going through free agency, but when that happens a lot of stuff is going through your mind. That feeling is no longer there. You’re settled in with a great team, a team I love playing for. I know the coaching staff. I’m looking forward to getting back in it and moving forward. I’m glad I don’t have any of those free agency jitters to deal with. It’s settled, we’re done and we’re moving on. The contract is behind you – you just have to make sure you’re out there on the field and being a leader out there.”

Bennett’s worries dissolve the second Reese puts a decent offer on the table. And I think playing in NYC … on the money end of Eli Manning passes … sure beats listening to that fool Schiano hoping Capt. Checkdown throws you one once in a while as you block for the Hamster.

Yeah but does it beat playing with his brother, more money, no state income taxes and still playing in the same offense? I doubt it. I have hope but like I said last week now I think there’s only a 33% chance he returns because of what Tampa provides and even another darkhorse team like Chicago.

•  GeezUp says:

LOL @ Capt Checkdown!!!

9.  jfunk says:

Nothing will be done with Diehl until it becomes necessary (because we need the cap room immediately in order to make a transaction) or JR is comfortable enough with our signed linemen to know we won’t need him to start anywhere.

10.  kujo says:

Martellus Bennett ?@JoeGryffindor
    People get it twisted I don’t want the fame I just want my paper. You can keep the fame and all the bullsh-t that comes with it.

1 2 3