New York Giants Restructure Contract of Mathias Kiwanuka

February 25th, 2013 at 1:50 PM

'Mathias Kiwanuka' photo (c) 2006, Alexa - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ The New York Giants and defensive end/linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka have agreed on a restructured contract, reports Jenny Vrentas of The Star-Ledger.

The restructured deal, which was signed last Thursday, converts $1.5 million of Kiwi's 2013 guaranteed base salary into a signing bonus. The new deal will save the Giants approximately $1 million towards the 2013 salary cap, but will slightly increase his cap number in both 2014 and 2015.

The exact numbers, as they appear in NFLPA records, show that Kiwanuka's 2013 salary has dropped from $2.95 million to $1.45 million, with his total cap hit dropping from $5.125 million to $4.125 million.

Kiwanuka will not lose any money as a result of this new deal, with his 2014 cap number increasing from $6.55 million to $7.07 million and his 2015 cap number increasing from $6.95 million to $7.45 million.

This move puts the Giants between $5 – $6 million under the projected 2013 cap, which is expected to remain flat at $121.1 million. However, there have been some rumors suggesting it could rise to $123 million by the time the official announcement is made.

Tags: Football, Mathias Kiwanuka, New York, New York Giants, NFL

12 Responses to “New York Giants Restructure Contract of Mathias Kiwanuka”

1.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Great job by the front office on this one. Kiwi is such a team player…am glad to see this. Hopefully next up for a restructure/cut are Diehl and Webster, followed up by Eli and Rolle restructuring/extending their deals.

2.  shmitty013 says:

Repost of some combine numbers and information on Star Lotulelei:

Sounds like Star’s heart problem may not have been a heart problem at all, but something caused either by dehydration or his loss of 10lbs of weight in 3 days prior to the combine. He didnt actually fail his physical but rather the Drs ruled it inconclusive. This is good news if true because if he did have a heart condition, there would be likely no chance of Richardson falling to us, but if he’s ok, there’s still a slight chance. I’m praying we can get Richardson.

Jon Bostic, LB from Florida, ran a 4.50 forty. He was being projected as a 4th rounder, but that’ll definitely help his stock. I was really hoping we could grab him in the 4th, but that seems less likely now.

Te’o with a 4.81. Not good

Other LBs mentioned by people here: Minter ran a 4.82 and Ogletree ran a 4.62. These are all unofficial times so far.

•  rlhjr says:

Good news for the kid. Hopefully it plays out that Reese has a shot at one of the standout
      DT’s. Because this defense will be hard pressed to rush the passer without one.

3.  wlubake says:

Man, Margus Hunt is tearing up the Combine. 38 bench press reps coupled with a 4.60 40-yard dash time.

34.5 inch vert and 121 inch broad jump, too. That beats supposed physical freak Ziggy Ansah in every category so far, with a 6’8″, 270 lbs frame.

Unreal.

•  rlhjr says:

FREAK IN THE HOUSE. Ted Hendricks returns. Give me either one.
      T’eo is as I said a fourth rounder. I think he’ll do OK. But not a game changer.

4.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

I would say Te’o's 40 time certainly didn’t do him any good. Would not be surprised at all for him to fall to the middle of the second round. Hunt is an absolute FREAK…and can really play anywhere on the DL.

5.  Samardzija says:

Sheriff Floyd is so explosive. 1.68 ten yard split of a guy whos 300 pounds is insane.

As an ND fan I want no part of Teo.

•  shmitty013 says:

Floyd is a monster. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if the Raiders take him 3rd overall.

•  Samardzija says:

Sheldon Richardson is no slouch either though, I liked him a little better on the field but they are both excellent prospects imo. Would love to have either one of them or one of the top CBs.

•  shmitty013 says:

Yup, my thoughts exactly. Richardson sometimes stands up too tall and gets washed out, but that can be corrected. Floyd doesn’t have as much tape since Florida had him playing DE in 2011 because all their DEs got hurt. Floyd is my dream, but we have no shot. Richardson is my hope. But I’ll take Rhodes or Banks as well. Curious to see what Rhodes runs in the 40 tomorrow. The 40 is overrated for most positions, but not for CB. Can hide lack of speed at other places, but not there.

Te’o's 40 time is a bullet to the head for any sort of top-10 consideration, and I think it drops him right out of the first round. Just my opinion.

•  wlubake says:

He’s really in trouble if he sits on that time. My guess is he’ll improve it at his pro day, and the common conversation is that he stopped some of the bleeding. I’ve got him top 25, bargain below.