New York Giants GM Jerry Reese not Ruling Out Manti Te’o

February 24th, 2013 at 12:06 PM
By Serena Sanderson

'840' photo (c) 2010, Neon Tommy - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ New York Giants general manager Jerry Reese is not ruling out the possibility of the team drafting Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o. Even with the controversy surrounding Te'o and his online girlfriend, Reese says the team is considering all options:

“We’re more interested in what kind of football player he is than anything else,” said Reese, who owns the 19th pick in the first round. “These things, I think they get blown out of proportion a little bit. But we’ll investigate it, and we’ll see how it goes.” (ESPN.com)

Te'o claims he is the victim of an online scam known as "catfishing". His supposed girlfriend, whom he never met face to face, allegedly died from leukemia. The event put Te'o in the spotlight and when it surfaced that his girlfriend was imaginary, a huge controversy erupted. How did Te'o not know this was a hoax? How much sense can a player have if he's so easily duped into believing such a hoax? Did he know about it all along in order to have a light shined on him?

Manti Te'o saw a flock of reporters on Saturday in what was the most anticipated news conference of the 2013 NFL Combine. Te'o fielded questions all morning about the hoax. When it was over, Te'o said:

“I’ve answered everything I could. I’d really like to talk about football.”

The Giants haven't drafted a linebacker in the first round since 1984 with Carl Banks. Since then, the highest pick has been grabbing Clint Sintim in the second round of the 2009 NFL Draft. However, Te'o is the Heisman Trophy runner up and considered one of the best linebackers in the draft. Reese and the Giants will lean on their scouts for information on how Te'o performs on the field, and they plan to look into social media outlets on any player they consider.

“We look at that stuff,” Reese said. “But again, I think you can have too much information. You talk yourself out of good players because of what somebody said on Twitter and what somebody said on Facebook."

“We put it all in the hopper,” Reese said. “And we come out with, 'This is what this guy is. This is where we think he should be on our board. Will we take him if he’s at a certain position for us?' Just like everybody else. His situation is no different than it is for anybody else.”

The Giants have the right attitude in addressing this situation. Treat the player as any other possible draftee, ask the same questions, look at the same statistics. He may have gotten taken up in a hoax, which definitely hurt his credibility, but that does not diminish what he is capable of achieving on the field. Te'o will no doubt make an impact on whichever team ends up drafting him, which could b the Giants and the 19th pick. Reese seems to have very few concerns about the catfish scam and the impact that will have on Te'o's ability to perform on the field, or how it will affect his off-the-field actions.

Tags: 2013 NFL Combine, catfishing, Football, Jerry Reese, linebacker, Manti Te'o, New York, New York Giants, NFL, NFL Draft

45 Responses to “New York Giants GM Jerry Reese not Ruling Out Manti Te’o”

1.  Dirt says:

Well hello Serena!

Was Will Hill the Twitter guy Reese is alluding to?

2.  jfunk says:

In other news, Jerry Reese also “refused to rule out” using his first round pick on a box of chocolate, trading his wife to the Raiders for a double cheese burger, and not pulling down his underwear the next 3 times he takes a dump.

“We will evaluate all our options” Reese said in a shocking departure from his normal routine.

3.  Dirt says:

I could not care less how many virtual girlfriends this guy has. In fact I wish him all the success and happiness in slaying fake chicks.

What I do care about is him looking like a chump against semi-pro competition in the BCS Championship game.

It’s Notre Dame, so of course there’s a unquenchable thirst to hype their prospects, but I wonder how much we’d be talking about him had the refs not stolen two wins from Stanford and that other school that was robbed.

Disclaimer: I don’t really watch corrupt NCAA football except for currently the only postseason game that counts, so I could be way off base. Except for the robbing of two wins.

4.  shmitty013 says:

Samarz –

Saw you post about Tank Carradine and possibly drafting him in the 2nd round. I’d be on board for that but he’s not going to last that far. Before he tore his ACL, he was going to be a top 10 pick. When he got hurt, they were talking about him falling all the way down to the 3rd round. Now however, word has come out that he will be fully healthy by April and if so, most think he’s going to be a top 15, maybe top 10 pick again. I think the injury will make him fall a little farther than that even if he’s fully healthy, but I can’t see him making it to our 2nd round pick.

5.  Liberal Giant says:

I don’t understand this headline. Has Reese ever said he would ” rule out” a potential draft pick? It is not like Te’o is another Maurice Clarett. He will pay for his bizzare behavior and poor BSC performance; his stock has probably sunk a bit. I wonder if he will go in the first round. What do you think F55? Common, give us a bold prediction. I want to see appear a round and approximate number.

6.  CT GIANT says:

Where is fanfor55, sure on vacation, huh. Well were both at 55+ now, so what?
    Well, one thing, Manti had 111 tackles, 49 solo, and 7 Int’s, in his last year.
    He has very good football instincts goes quickly to the ball, and if his forty time
    is somewhere around 4.65, {most important imo, is the 10yard shuttle burst} he will be a sure round #1 pick.
    If Reese isn’t “smoking us” with his talk, this kid can be valuable, no dui’s; drugs; PED’s yet, or criminal behavior. It remains to be seen, between after the combine and March 12Th, which is only 16 days away, do they: Resign Blackburn; Cut Webster/Diehl?; sign Bennett/Beatty?; a whole bunch of stuff, as TC said is still to come, {read between the lines}.
    It would not surprise me about any of the above, but I have a gut feeling, they will let a bunch of guys walk into free agency, especially KP; Barden: Boothe; and if they do keep Webster/Diehl you know like I do, it will be on short money.
    All of us are shooting crap, in less then three weeks, including 3/9/13 Daylight Savings Time, turn clock AHEAD, will know some stuff.
    CT GIANT

7.  GmenMania says:

OF course he’s not “ruling out” a potential draft pick. GMs never “rule out” players. To rule out a player would be to admit some part of a strategy.

God, this period of the offseason is slow. Can’t wait until FA.

8.  Jason McEwan says:

Seems harsh for us arm-chair GMs to bash a guy that had one big lousy game. Yes he stunk up the joint against ‘Bama, but find me a player on our roster that didn’t suck as much last season in their worst game.

•  Jason McEwan says:

As for his invisible GF; I don’t think him being fooled like that translates to him being fooled easily on play action so who cares?!

9.  CT GIANT says:

Jason: Both point on posts!
    CT GIANT, lol

Te’o looked bad against a team with one of the best OLs in college history. His DL was crunched … and he’s got lineman coming at him in the second level. I’m not sure who could have done much in that situation.

•  shmitty013 says:

Especially when one of the guys is Chance Warmack, arguably the most talented player in the draft.

•  Dirt says:

He looks great against Turd Ferguson State and the like the rest of the year though. And we all know the NFL is filled with crap teams and offensive lines like that.

•  GmenMania says:

Notre Dame didn’t have all that easy of a schedule. They played some solid opponents. A lot of the Te’o bashing that goes on is unwarranted.

•  Dirt says:

You may be right – I don’t really watch.

But, I will say it’s a flawed argument to say “well, he struggled against this really good team because they’re really good, but it’s OK because he beat all these other lesser teams, so he’s still good.”

I don’t care what anyone says about Alabama and their NFL-like qualities. We’re talking about the National Football League. And we’re talking about whether he can play in this League. And if kids from Alabama are supposedly like men from the NFL, and they erased T’eo, well T’eo is in trouble when they’re all bigger, badder, versions of Alabama’s offensive line.

To me, it all sounds like typical golden domer dome.

This isn’t toward you GmenMania, just my thoughts to the general collective commentary on T’eo and Notre Dame.

My point is that his DL got overwhelmed. This put him in an almost impossible situation. ILBs depend on the DTs taking the initial surge. That didn’t happen.

•  GmenMania says:

+1. I just think he gets more grief than he deserves. I, for one, think he’s going to be a very good player in the NFL, and wouldn’t mind at all if it was with the Giants. But I can certainly see the merits of your argument, Dirt.

A lot depends on his 40 time. If he’s slow … 4.7-ish … then he’ll drop a round for sure. If he blazes then he’ll stay a 1st round pick. Kuechly had a 4.58 … Patrick Willis a 4.51. That’s what gets you a high #1 if you’re an ILB.

•  shmitty013 says:

The point Krow was making is that ND’s defensive line got washed out by Alabama’s offensive line. It wasn’t that they were just a good team so he stunk. Te’o had little help in making the plays. Just about every running play, Warmack blew up one of the Notre Dame DTs and he was right thru to Te’o and Warmack may be the most talented player in the draft and future Pro Bowl NFL Guard. Only an elite LB in the mold of Patrick Willis is going to be able to make plays when that happens and even he’s not going to look all that good. Te’o will have more support playing behind an NFL D Line than he did in that game.