February 21st, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Wide receiver Domenik Hixon would like to return to the New York Giants in 2013, his agent, Eric Metz, told the New York Post on Wednesday. In order to help facilitate that, Metz said he will meet with members of the Giants this weekend in Indianapolis at the NFL Combine.

Initially signed as a special teams ace in 2007, Hixon quickly developed into a quality asset for the Big Blue offense. He established a rapport with quarterback Eli Manning and eventually catapulted himself up the wide receiver depth chart.

Unfortunately, a torn ACL forced Hixon to miss the entire 2010 season, and a re-torn ACL resulted in him missing 14 games in 2011.

Perseverance was the key, and Hixon returned to health and the field in 2012, hauling in 39 passes for 567 yards and two touchdowns. And, as usual, he was highly underrated by media and fans alike, despite being one of Manning's most trusted go-to targets.

In 61 career games with the Giants, Hixon has caught 102 passes for 1,405 yards and six touchdowns. He's also been an incredible special teams asset, and was the last Giant to return a punt for a touchdown (2009).

Tags: Domenik Hixon, Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

10 Responses to “Domenik Hixon Wants to Return to New York Giants; Two Sides Will Meet at NFL Combine”

1.  kujo says:

Repost:

Drafting Barrett Jones is a pipe dream, at best. He’s likely to be a 2nd/3rd round guy, and I just don’t think we bite the bullet for an interior lineman with needs at corner, DT and LB, all areas where you traditionally find starters in the first 3 rounds, whereas you a large contingency of starting interior linemen are either mid/late round guys, or UDFAs. I’d love a top-flight guard or center (obviously…that’s sorta been my schtick for the last 4 years), but I’d probably look later for someone.

2.  kujo says:

Hixon is a savvy veteran whose value is higher for us because he knows the system and works well with the QB. His intangibles far outweigh his actual tangibles, and so I am sure he would love to stay here, and we’d love to have him back.

I think Hixon has value to teams learning how to win. He’s won 2 SBs and can be a decent 3rd WR. A team like Detroit I think could use him. I think Hixon is worth a 2 year 3.5 mil type of contract for a because of what he can bring off the field.

•  sonnymooks says:

Unfortunatly, he can’t or shouldn’t be our #3 WR unless something goes very wrong, our top three should be nicks, cruz and randle next season with JJ as a 4th guy. If Hixon were to be in the top 3 or even top 4, something very bad has happened, and I like Hixon.

3.  Chad Eldred says:

Hixon can stay, but the circa Kid ‘n Play haircut has to go.

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    February 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    Repost:

Below is a great piece but too long to cut and paste. It just shows the chess JR will be dealing with this offseason in terms of our cap issues.

Krow says:
    February 20, 2013 at 4:09 PM
    I stopped reading once they started throwing $12,000,000 a year at Beatty.

GOAT56 says:
    February 21, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    The article says 5 years 42.5 mil for Beatty with 16 mil guaranteed. This seems pretty realistic given the recent LT contracts. That’s what a B+ UFA LT is probably worth. If you don’t want to keep him that’s fair but the article is reasonable with it’s contracts.

The major parts I took from piece is how we can sign a few mid level contracts if we cut Webster because the 2013 cap hit with a signing bonus is low. In addition, how the rookie contracts don’t take up a full 4.6 mil because they just bump salaries below the 51 that count. So The rookie salaries could end up being a less than 2 mil cap increase.

It’s not about agreeing with every move it’s about seeing how the cap can be maneuvered around in an actually full offseason example.

Krow says:
    February 21, 2013 at 9:34 AM
    5 for 42.5 isn’t bad … but they were quoting some others as comparables. And they were crazy. If Beatty wants $12 mil per year then I’m giving $8 to Cruz, $4 to Bennett … and drafting a tackle #1.

Chad Eldred says:
    February 21, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    That’s an awesome treatise on the Giant cap dilemma. Even if you agree or disagree with the choices the writer advocates, he presents a lot of pros and cons to weight. It also emphasizes the grey areas in the road ahead and steers clear of the sophomoric “we have to re-sign ______” proclamations.

I’m inclined to believe if that deal is on the table for Beatty we would take it. That’s fair for a LT of Beatty’s caliber. I’m also inclined to believe that Beatty would believe he can get a little more and would test the market.

What I know understand is that cutting Webster really can bring us back an upper tier CB because their 2013 cap hit still wont be what Webster’s was going to be.

5.  Samardzija says:

I like Rhodes, but Id rather have Banks of the two CBS. Not going to pretend Ive seen them a ton, because I havent. But Banks ballskills pushes him in front for me..

I continue to think that LB has a real chance to be our 1st round selection. There appears a good chance that the top 4 MLB prospects ( including from KSU) have a good chance of being off the board be our 2nd round pick. The drop between the first group and the next group appears to be significant. CB, DT and OL appear to be really deep positions that will have starting level talent into the 4th round. So if grades are close I could see us drafting a MLB because that could be our only chance at a difference maker. The free agent ranks also don’t appear to have much either.