New York Giants’ Terrell Thomas Feels 2013 Will Be Tom Coughlin’s Last

February 19th, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Although New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin has repeatedly said he's given no serious consideration to retirement, the 66-year-old coach is coming off of what he called one of the most emotionally challenging seasons of his entire career. And not all of his players feel like he'll be on the sidelines much longer, including cornerback Terrell Thomas, who told NFL AM on Tuesday that he thinks this will be Coughlin's last go-around.

“I think he has one more in him,” Thomas said. “We have a great nucleus of guys, and I don’t think he wants to give that up. That passion is still burning within him. He’s in that facility all day every day; he’s going crazy not being able to coach and watch film. He lives and breathes football. He has everybody in there all day, every day, in the offseason.”

40 years in the NFL and with 17 of those coming as a head coach, Thomas feels Coughlin is set up to end his career in a dream scenario.

"I think he wants to go out on top," Thomas said. "Hopefully, we can get it right, and bring a Super Bowl home in Giants Stadium."

If Coughlin does call it quits after the coming season, and with or without another Super Bowl victory, he's punched his ticket to Canton and the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Then, of course, the Bill Cowher rumors would continue.

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Terrell Thomas, Tom Coughlin

9 Responses to “New York Giants’ Terrell Thomas Feels 2013 Will Be Tom Coughlin’s Last”

… or … Terrell Thomas blows his last chance.

2.  kujo says:

Ralph Vacchiano ?@RVacchianoNYDN
    Like I said, now confirmed … RT @rapsheet John Mara tells me his team will “probably not” administer the franchise tag to any player. #NYG

•  jfunk says:

Not really much of a statement.

I probably won’t eat at McDonald’s for dinner tonight. Saying that now doesn’t really have any bearing on whether or not I decide it’s the best move 6 hours from now though.

3.  LUZZ says:

I said this 8 months ago and was laughed off the board. Said it was a hunch, nothing more. Looks like TT thinks the same, and he is close to the situation. I’m far from proven right here, but we could be seeing TC’s final season. Dude is old.

Again, TT knows absolutely zippo about what Coughlin is thinking. TC is on a year-to-year deal at this point. At least for the next 3-4 years if he wants to come back he will. John Mara is not going to fire him. And while the Giants’ 2012 season would have driven any coach insane, with a bit of recovery time I assume ‘ol Tom will be raring to go again. He still seems energetic, and he still knows football. Older guys than he have been successful coaches, and older guys than he have managed even more difficult organizations quite well. Heck, people are talking about Hillary in 2016 when she’ll be 72. It all depends upon one’s physical and mental state. I’ll bet the young coach in Kansas City felt just as lousy as did TC when this past season came to an end. I like the championship part of Thomas’ comments, but none of them mean a thing.

5.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Theoretically, say TC does retire at the end of the season…Super Bowl or not. Who comes in to take his place? Or do they promote Kevin Gilbride, who was mentored under TC and has been the OC for both recent Super Bowls?

I’m sure that thought is enough to make a few people’s heads explode this morning.

Personally, I would love to see Cowher come to NY. The guy is a hard nosed (and chinned) football coach that guys like to play for and respect. Many have speculated that he has his eyes on the position and is waiting out coaching until it becomes available. The family ties are there as well.

Thoughts?

6.  Juan Arevalo says:

As much as I would love to see Cowher in blue, I don’t think he fits our Defense. He is a 3-4 scheme coach. We are a 4-3 team. I have read rumors about him wanting to coach a S.B ready team. Even read Bettis saying Cowher wants to coach the Giants. He does have the Rooney connection.

7.  giantsou812 says:

TT will be long gone before coughlin leaves