Report: New York Giants May Target Tight End in First-Round of NFL Draft

February 14th, 2013 at 11:00 AM

As the NFL Draft rapidly approaches, conflicting reports have already begun to spread regarding various teams and their potential first-round targets. Naturally, the New York Giants are among those teams with rumored interests, and on Wednesday during a conference call, ESPN NFL Draft expert Mel Kiper said the team may be one of three targeting a tight end in the first round.

'577' photo (c) 2010, Neon Tommy - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

Of course, the Giants' draft plans hinge entirely upon what occurs during free agency – and that includes both their own free agents and other unrestricted free agents around the league.

With the value of Martellus Bennett increasing by the day, he may eventually find himself priced out of the Giants' league. Should that occur, Jerry Reese & Co. would be forced to find a replacement elsewhere, and only then would it make sense for them to consider a tight end in round one.

Having recently re-signed Bear Pascoe, the team currently has four tight ends under contract, but no clear-cut No. 1. That job would be Bennett's assuming he's re-signed, but if not, it becomes an area of need and the pool isn't very deep at tight end this year. Notre Dame's Tyler Eifert and Stanford's Zach Ertz are the two premiere tight ends available, but each are late first-round or possibly even second-round targets.

In addition to the tight end situation, Kiper noted that defensive end Sam Montgomery, who has been linked to the Giants, "doesn't have great burst."

Tags: Football, Jerry Reese, Martellus Bennett, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tyler Eifert, Zach Ertz

36 Responses to “Report: New York Giants May Target Tight End in First-Round of NFL Draft”

Does Kiper really site any sources or is he making an “educated” guess?

•  UANYG says:

Meh, I’m presuming the latter. I’d be really surprised if NY went that way, considering they have the JPP of tight ends already on the roster.

They’ll have McShay on next week–who’s time over at the NFC East ESPN blog was decidedly unbearable, in my opinion–saying that NY will draft a DE, so that they can both argue.

Drafting a TE at 19 would shock me. The two top TEs look like good players but in my view not the game changing guy needed for us to draft a first round TE. I don’t think any of these guys are Shockey like athletically compared to other TEs.

We also drafted Robinson last year for a reason. Plus we have a ton of more pressing needs and higher priority positions.

3.  UANYG says:

I love the idea of athletic tight ends, don’t get me wrong. However, an abundance of them seems to be a luxury NY can’t afford. Not to mention, I’d rather they shore up their OL before taking another athlete.

Fact is, there are alot of incredibly talented skill position players on the roster right now, but we’re limited in our ability to use them because our line is slowly decaying.

I realize that certain OL rankings place the current group in the top-third to middle of the pack (saw this from a poster the other day), but I don’t think anyone here would dispute that the line isn’t as good as it was in 08-09. I say reinforce it now, give Manning strong protection during the last half to third of his career, and run with the horses we have!

It’s the easiest bet in the world to go against a draft prediction. All are rather long shots. And I admit that a world-class TE is a good thing to have.

However … only Zack Ertz and Tyler Eifert merit 1st round consideration. And neither would be considered a good value at 19.

Unless one lights up the Combine then taking them at our slot would represent a reach. Reese doesn’t reach.

5.  Albo says:

I could see the Giants picking up a TE but not at 19th. If these two top guys are ranked late 1st / early 2nd maybe the decision will be to trade down or trade out of the first round, get an extra pick or two and, grab a TE with an early 2nd round pick.

6.  Grateful Giants says:

I don’t think, I just don’t think were drafting a TE first. And as for Bennet/ Robinson, I also think its a no brainer that we won’t overpay for Bennet. TC and Co. are comfortable (whether we like it or not) with Pascoe at TE, and have over the last 3-4 years used rookie/first year players as their starting TE. I think Robinson (with a year under his belt) will be great, and MUCH more experienced in our system than most of the guys we have started since Shockey left. If history is a roadmap, I think the writing is on the wall, with Pascoe and Robinson, there’s no room for a 1st rd TE.

7.  Samardzija says:

Just like we were “reportedly” going to draft a tight end last year. Not gonna happen

8.  Grateful Giants says:

So catching up on the previous threads..in short, everyone on the giants is overpaid, too big of a cap hit, and we should restructure everyone contract?

Do you guys want us to be the Jaguars? We won the Superbowl last year, and now everyone is overpaid? Scared money don’t make money. Sometimes I wonder if people on here know there are other teams in the league that have NO IDEA what they are doing. But our front office is overpaying everyone… Like someone posted, just read the Jets cap numbers.

As for Webster, yes he had a down year, yes he was picked on, and we all praise Stevie Brown’s effort this season, has no one thought that the reason for Webster having a down year was because of the inconsistency of the player standing behind him? I like Brown, but am more concerned with Brown as a back stop than Webster being out of position/beaten the way he was last year.

And someone said the Giants are not a “win this year” team anymore…we are about to host the Superbowl, with a two time superbowl champion HC, OC, QB, we are most definitely a WIN THIS YEAR TEAM… sometimes I just don’t understand the things that are said on this site.

Were 1/10th into the offseason. The entire team is not overpaid, I think we will be fine, and VERY competitive over the next few seasons. It is the same thing every year. We will lose some great players, they won’t produce for their new teams as well as they did for us because we have the front office, coaching staff and QB who turn out good players consistently

•  Jason McEwan says:

I agree to an extent. There are 3 players that I consider to be over paid; Baas, Snee and Rolle-all are in the top 6 highest paid player at their position in 2013 all are not in the top 15 best performer at their position.

Combine starts Wednesday.

I have a TE for us … Dion Sims of Mich. State. Big kid … can block … character and durability issues … probably like a 5th rounder. Classic sized kind of guy we like.