February 14th, 2013 at 7:00 AM

In early February, shortly after he pointed the finger at Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, Sports With Alternatives To Steroids (S.W.A.T.S.) owner, Mitch Ross, rambled off a list of names that he alleged were clients of his and his company. Among those names was New York Giants punter Steve Weatherford, whom Ross claimed had consumed some of his non-steroids, although the products were still banned by the NFL.

'Steve Weatherford of the New York Giants' photo (c) 2012, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Weatherford and his lawyer immediately denied these allegations, and cast Ross as a lunatic. Ross, of course, added to his bizarre image by claiming humans have two brains and a variety of other off-the-wall things.

In an effort to put the issue to bed, before a serious legal issue arose, Weatherford and his team demanded Ross apologize publicly and come clean. And although it took a little over a week, Ross has apologized to Weatherford and admitted that his story was bogus.

“All I needed him to say was that he apologizes and he won’t say my name again – I got that out of him,” Weatherford said on WFAN Wednesday. “I got that out of him, and I’m good. I’m not looking to stir the pot any more by suing him. That’s all I wanted.”

Weatherford added that an NFL career is not worth risking over some experimental banned substances, and that he owes more to the New York Giants organization and his fans across the country than to do something so foolish.

"I don’t want to give credence to the guy by talking about him, but at the same time I think the listeners and the fans deserve to know that this was totally unsubstantiated. I would never do that. Being a role model and being a New York Giant is too important for me to risk it on something like that. It’s just sad that a guy would resort to that to try to sell his snake oil.”

Alas, Ross wasn't the only topic of conversation on Wednesday, and Weatherford was also asked about his time with the New York Jets and former Special Teams coach Mike Westhoff.

“I didn’t get along with Mike,” Weatherford said. “Mike was a really difficult person to play for. He’s a guy that kind of harped on the negative a little bit, and life’s short, man. I’m trying to have fun. And nobody works harder than me, so you can’t say anything like that. It was just difficult … I don’t know exactly why we didn’t get along, but it was a mutual parting of the ways."

Westhoff was openly critical of Weatherford following his departure from the New York Jets, but quickly quieted down after he saw the punter holding up a Lombardi Trophy following Super Bowl XLVI.

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, New York Jets, NFL, Steve Weatherford

16 Responses to “New York Giants’ Steve Weatherford Receives Apology from False Accuser, Mitch Ross”

1.  Dirt says:

Wow, good for Steve. Unlike Vilma, who screamed “show me the evidence”, Weatherford screamed “I didn’t do it”. Silly, but that’s all you need to hear sometimes.

•  rlhjr says:

Dirt, do you know how many sacks Kiwi has had over the last two seasons?

And Adrian Tracy was not on demo’s list a couple of threads ago. Do you know his figures?

As for Weatherford…………
      “Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch, nay, you may kick it all about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening”
      Oliver Wendell Holmes

•  demo3356 says:

Tracey is an ERFA or maybe an RFA, one of the two, cant remember

•  rlhjr says:

Thanks demo. I was curious about Tracy’s FA status too. I wonder if anyone might be looking at him to fill a hole, and not concerned about giving up a draft pick or other compensation?

•  demo3356 says:

I think he’s an ERFA so it’s irrelevant but if he wasn’t I could promise you that NO ONE would even entertain the idea of signing him away and giving up a pick..

Kiwi stats …

Year – Tackles Assists Sacks INTs

2012 Giants 31 8 3.0 0

2011 Giants 81 20 3.5 1

2010 Giants 11 2 4.0 0

2009 Giants 59 15 3.0 0

2008 Giants 51 16 8.5 0

2007 Giants 44 11 4.5 0

2006 Giants 48 9 4.0 2

Career 325 81 30.5 3

•  rlhjr says:

Thanks bro.

I think he started playing SAM in 09 or 10. So lets say 13.5 sacks over a four year span. Basically Kiwi averages 3 sacks a year “3.375″ since ’09.

I think that average would have been closer to 7 or 8 if he was playing at RDE vice chasing backs he had no chance of catching on running or passing downs. Complete waste of talent Kiwi playing at SAM. IMHO

Not all was applicable to Fewell. Spags got 8.5 sacks from him.
      When Sheridan took over his sack total plummeted to 3. He hasn’t been nearly as good since Spagnoulo departed and Fewell took over.
      And he suffered the broken leg in ’07.

But he did as good a job as could be expected. Not hating the player, just hating the game.

•  demo3356 says:

He moved to SAM in 07, back to full time DE when Osi went down and Stra retired in 08. I believe he went back to ful time SAM in 09 or 10

3.  demo3356 says:

I think the reason Kiwi “hasn’t produced like a fist rd pick” is two fold
    1) He has switched between DE and SAM at the teams request without complaint 3-4 times. Something that is much harder at the NFL level then many understand
    2) He has been behind 3 better pass rushers most of his career. Early on it was Strahan, Osi and Tuck, more recently Jpp, Osi and Tuck.
    I believe with Osi, Canty and Bernard all leaving that Kiwi will be back as a Full time DE and we will see him, PP and Tuck all on the DL on 3rd and longs.

•  JimStoll says:

agreed
      2008 is the season to look at
      that was the year Osi went down in the pre-season and Kiwi took over full time
      if you recall, Kiwi had a tremendous first game against the Skins and then on the last play of the game, with the game out of reach in the Giants’ favor, the Skins LT cheap shotted Kiwi, rolling his ankle, and he played the balance of the season on a bum wheel
      still he posted 8.5 sacks and 51 tackles — very respectable
      we are of course 5 years and a serious neck injury removed from 2008, but I think it fair to expect Kiwi to perform very solidly at DE
      in fact, unless he undergoes a renaissance, expect Tuck to cede more and more snaps to Kiwi in ’13

•  rlhjr says:

Yeah he’s been a total trouper. Just put his head down and did what he was asked in the name of team. His neck injury had me concerned, but it seems like he’s way by that now. I think his reinsertion at DE will be like the Giants getting a draft pick at DE who can play now. Just a thought. Thanks man.

4.  demo3356 says:

GMen- I believe the Deihl Webster thing is a fluid situation.. We don’t have to be under the cap I believe until around March 1st. Until JR sees what happens with our own top UFA’s (Beatty, Bennett, Cruz, Boothe, Phillips) before making a final decision on those guys.. I think he’s keeping Diehl around only for insurance if both Beatty and Boothe leave. If he re signs one or Both, Diehl should get bounced.. Webster is a better candidate for a restructure than a straight out cut. Unlike Diehl who’s play has been declining for a few years, Webster just had a down season that could be due to several injuries he was battling. Just last year he was shutting down some of the leagues best receivers on some of the leagues all time prolific offenses. I’m thinking he gets a new 3-4 year deal with a cap friendly 2013 salary and a 4th year with a high salary that everyone besides he and his agent knows he’ll never see..

Exactly.

•  rlhjr says:

That sounds right for the players you named bro. I think the entire defensive backfield would benefit from the defensive line generating more hurries and sacks. No doubt that would help the youngsters (Hosley and Prince).

I really think Webster had/has some injury concerns. It did not look like a speed issue. It looked for all the world like a reaction issue to me.
      You know, like a pull or slight tear on thigh hammy or calf. Something that kept him from reacting and changing direction as he normally would.
      I guess the truth will come out soon.

Again, I never hated DD. I think of him much the same way I think of Kiwi.
      The guy was on his way to becoming a All Pro guard. That said, why he still has a locker in the Giant complex is a mystery to me. He’s done, somebody get a fork…………………..
      But I suppose better to DD around than a green kid or a tired vet who doesn’t know the offense.