New York Giants Sign Kicker David Buehler

February 13th, 2013 at 5:00 PM
By Paul Tierney

The New York Giants created some competition at kicker today, by bringing in former Dallas Cowboys fifth-round pick David Buehler. With Lawrence Tynes scheduled to hit unrestricted free agency on March 12th, the Giants are assuring themselves that they will not be left in the cold if they can not compete for Tynes' services on the open market.

Buehler did not play in 2012, as he was waived after he failed his physical last March. He was the starting kicker in Dallas for two seasons until he tore his abductor muscle four games into his 2011 campaign. In 2009, Buehler led the NFL with 29 touchbacks. In 2010, he converted on 24 of 32 field goal attempts, with a long of 53 yards.

Given the salary cap issues the Giants have this offseason, the team may be unable to afford giving Tynes a raise of any sort or raise. At worst, the Giants now have their kicker for 2012. Tynes, while he lacks range, made 84 percent of his kicks last season. Buehler was on his couch in 2012, and his best season ever saw him make 75 percent of his kicks.

In all likelihood, the Giants will have a competition at kicker during training camp. Tynes has proven himself effective and has kicked the Giants into two Super Bowls, so it's not likely he is supplanted by a guy who sat on his couch this season. However, if Tynes gets a solid offer on the open market that Jerry Reese is unwilling to match, then we may see Buehler in 2013.

photo credit: natalie_113 via photopin cc

Tags: Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, David Buehler, Football, Lawrence Tynes, New York, New York Giants, NFL

24 Responses to “New York Giants Sign Kicker David Buehler”

Our cap number is still bad. If just re-sign our RFA as expected in Brown, Brown and Cruz we are back over the cap. We really need to renegotiate with Eli, Rolle, Snee, Webster and Diehl if not cut some of them. Add in draft picks and just 10 mil of free agents contracts (including Beatty) and we have a lot of work to do.

Looking at our cap situation ( http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/cap-hit/ ) and considering what we are paying Weatherford I doubt we pay Tynes the 2 mil plus he would cost. I think we also draft a late round kicker or bring in an undrafted free agent. We can’t afford to pay a premium at positions we can get by with cheaper and pretty equivalent options. That might mean the end of a players like Hixon and Blackburn.

Eli, Snee, Webster, Rolle, Diehl, Baas, Tuck and Kiwi collectively get 58% of our cap … or around $69,000,000 out of the roughly $121,000,000 nut.

•  demo3356 says:

yup… All should be restructured except Kiwi and Baas (Recent contracts) and a couple should possibly be cut

Eli had a down year, but QBs get paid. Rolle and Kiwi I feel played to their contracts. Snee, Baas, and Tuck under-performed to a debatable degree. Webster and Diehl stole their pay.

I’d dump the last two … aggressively restructure Snee and Baas … the others might do a mutually agreeable restructure, but not punitive. Tuck gets a pass because it’s his last year under contract … and for past service.

I’m still not sure this mess can be sorted in one year. And as much as I love Eli, that $20 mil cap hit year-after-year is hard to swallow. Maybe the teams playing fungible rookies have it right. It’s all about the money.

5.  nynate says:

Is there any point in a QBs career when he decides he has made enough money that he can afford to take a massive pay cut in order to surround himself with better players in order to get a better chance at winning a championship? Or are there cap rules that stop that from happening?

6.  Dirt says:

The sooner we realize Tynes blows, the sooner the special teams and win probability improves.

7.  Dirt says:

Also, I’ve determined that after Eli, Kiwi has quietly become the most untouchable Giant on G101. You never hear anyone say he’s a luxury or a cap burden or overrated. Just flies under the radar, as a first round pick who could never crack the lineup at his position and only found time starting because of injury or absolute neglect at another position. At least all those other big contracts are some combo of full time starter or actual contributor.

If you’ve made it this far, you’re probably ready to rip me apart. But don’t, cause I like Kiwi. It’s just that we’d be in far better shape had his slot established itself at DE. I wish he became the man. Now we have a tweener/backup/rotational guy and still no legit NFL linebackers. We should have traded him to someone in need and got a position of need filled.

On the other hand, we can wait a few more years for Tuck to retire, but he’ll be old, too, by then.

Oh well, maybe we’ll get another DE to solve all our problems!

•  Dirt says:

Actually, I take that back. Kiwi IS the most untouchable Giant. People still (foolishly) rip Eli. Kiwi? Nothing.

•  demo3356 says:

What is there to rip Kiwi about? The guy has very unselfishly and at his own detriment switched positions back and forth 3-4 times to benefit the teams needs at the tme, always been a solid player, a solid character, isn’t over paid and never complains about his contract.
        When we needed help at LB and had 3 STUDS at DE in Strahan, Osi and Tuck, they guy switched positions, lost weight and became a very solid SAM before he broke his leg. Then when Strahan retired and Osi blew out his knee he switched back to DE and was

8.  demo3356 says:

accidently sent it before I was done. Bottom line is there really isnt anything to rip him about. its grasping for straws..

•  Dirt says:

No, you’re right. I’m just saying, everyone gets ripped, but he doesn’t. Rolle is the man, he gets ripped. KP, Cruz, Eli, etc. All get knocked or have their depature rationalized.

I just think it’s fascinating that I’ve never really heard it at all about Kiwi, and it’s not like he’s an all pro.

(Krow would say he’s be worth $10M/yr on the open market)

•  Kevros says:

I think you’re misguided about Kiwi not being able to crack the starting lineup. The coaches thought so highly of him they couldn’t stand to see him on the sideline. So, I think you twisted that one a bit to make your point.

It is interesting though. I, personally think a lot of it is attitude. He’s a guy I would root for even if he leaves the Giants. He’s the embodiment of the all in/ talk is cheap mentality…

I think Dirt has a point. When you look at cap numbers Kiwi is the 8th highest cap hit and certainly didn’t produce to that level in 2012. Maybe he’s been playing out of position at SLB but that’s what he was signed to be with JPP, Tuck and Osi still around two years ago. We have been real critical about most guys on the roster and Kiwi has avoided everyones raft because we like him. I think the fair comment for 2013 would be with him likely switching back to DE fulltime there’s no more excuses and he should produce like a starting level DE as 3rd DE if he’s the player we have been lead to believe.

9.  Dirt says:

I like to stir some ish up to drag out differing opinions, that’s my thing.

Now someone tell me why a kicker who never finished in the top 3rd of the league in FG%, needed 3 attempts (and 3 defensive stops to give him 3 attempts) to get in to the Super Bowl, kicks as hard as my grandmother and could cost even a dime over the veteran minimum should ever be on this cap strapped team in 2013.

10.  Barbarossa says:

I think you are right about Kiwi being the golden boy of G101 and I don’t see anything wrong with examining his production vs cap dollars since we’ve been doing it to everyone else. I love the guy and I think everyone else does too because he has been the ultimate team player, he’s humble, and he never makes noise about his contract. On the down side you are right people tend to forget that he was a first round pick and in my opinion he has never produced like you want to see your first rounders do. There are extenuating circumstances sure but the fact remains that he hasn’t given you what you want to see from a first rounder. In my opinion I love him and want to keep him BUT he makes too much money for what he brings to the table.
    My man Krow is right, the thing that is killing the Giant’s cap is the top 8-10 paid guys other than Eli (quarterbacks take up way too much cap but that’s the way it is deal with it) and Rolle (he makes too much money for his position and talent level but he gets a pass because he is our defensive captain in spirit if not in fact and he is pretty damn good if not elite at his position). The fact that Webster, Snee, Diehl, Baas, Tuck, etc are eating so much cap space makes me want to vomit. These names are the definition of mediocrity (except Diehl who is the definition of dumpster fire) and while I appreciate what all of them have done for the Giants and I’m sure they are all fine human beings they all must go or take massive pay cuts. We cannot pay these sorts of players the way we are and expect to be competitive, that’s just not the way the NFL works. I also agree with Krow that it will probably take two years rather than one to fix this. The good news is, you know if we see this problem than JR is certainly well aware of it. I look forward to watching the “Great Bloodbath of 2013″ continue.