NFL Experience Will not Be a Part of Super Bowl XLVIII in New York/New Jersey

February 12th, 2013 at 3:40 PM

The NFL has big plans for Super Bowl XLVIII, which will be the first held at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. In late January, the league released a schedule of events that including a free festival which will be held during the week leading up to the game, a huge tailgate party and a variety of other impressive experiences. However, one experience which was noticeably absent from the list was the NFL Experience. As it turns out, it was omitted from the schedule because it will not be occurring at all.

'120905-M-DO926-027' photo (c) 2012, MarineCorps NewYork - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

For the first time since it was launched in 1992, the NFL Experience will not be a part of Super Bowl week, reports Terry Lefton of Sports Business Journal (via Pro Football Talk).

Lefton reports that the NFL decided to scrap the NFL Experience due to what they determined to be a "lack of a suitable space to hold the huge festival that allows sponsors to interact with fans."

Allow that to sink in for a moment. The NFL couldn't find a suitable space for one of their premiere Super Bowl events in New York City or Northern New Jersey.

Typically one of the biggest attractions during Super Bowl week, the NFL Experience puts fans face-to-face with many of their favorite athletes and celebrities from across the world. It's a family-friendly environment that will be sorely missed by the residents of New York/New Jersey, as well as local businesses that were banking on the tourism it was sure to bring in.

Tags: Football, MetLife Stadium, New Jersey, New York, New York Giants, NFL

10 Responses to “NFL Experience Will not Be a Part of Super Bowl XLVIII in New York/New Jersey”

1.  sonnymooks says:

So, we get the watered down superbowl experience ?

They can do it in detroit, aka the hellhole of America, but they can’t do it in NY ?

Beyond belief. After spending three days around Indianapolis before the game last February I can attest that the NFL Experience was an incredible amount of fun and became a touchstone for everyone in the entire area.

People who enjoyed that ranged from codgers like me who wanted to prove they could still throw a ball decently, to celebrities who looked like pretty ordinary people when trying to kick a field goal, to a gazillion kids who were enthralled by the entire experience, to the locals who couldn’t have been nicer and for whom the “Experience” was as close to the game as they were going to get and from whom we learned that the whole town was behind the Giants because they love Mannings and hate Patriots. The lines were sometimes long, but it was a great thing, very much including the exhibitions that included stuff like Jim Brown’s cleats, and the photo ops where people stuck their heads into setups with their team’s uniform and a gigantic mannequin (absent the head) with the dimensions of the actual player.

Can’t understand why the NFL would do this. Did no one stop to check if the Javits Center was booked for that week?

3.  CT GIANT says:

Almost impossible to believe! Maybe there is still enough time to re-consider this?
    It’s CRAZY! fanfor55years explains it all! Javits Center; Madison Square Garden; still thinking, but it sucks!
    CT GIANT

4.  Grateful Giants says:

Or even in the Timex center. There are 100 different venues in the meadowlands complex alone, I find it hard to believe they can’t find anything.

Barclays, governors island, randals island, bryant park, central park, hell set it up in Grand central… this is NYC, they’re looking for a reason to cut the cold weather stadiums out of consideration…

I guess its a good thing we got the first and only one then? I’m starting to really hate the politics of the NFL.

5.  Chad Eldred says:

fanfor55years says:

“Speaking of which, is it political to say that I am absolutely delighted to have a social engagement tonight that will make it impossible for me to be near a television the entire evening? I’m trying to think of a major national political figure these days who doesn’t make me want to puke the moment I see him or hear a word out of his/her mouth. I’ll let you know if I come up with one.”

I don’t think that’s political, I think it’s human. I admit, I can be overly sensitive to political talk. I can also be a belligerent ****. Fortunately I’ve been able to work that skill into my job. Despite my abrasive demeanor I have respect for the regular posters here and their thoughts. I think my nausea over the polarization of our country is part of it. It just feels like we cannot escape it. At some point we become so indoctrinated with the bi-modal ideology and the respective arguments that our instinct is to size up everyone as friend or foe. Then engage them based upon our conclusion of which side they are on. Polarization is a naturally occurring thing in societies and it ebbs and flows with the events and challenges facing the country. But it does make me weary.

You can write down the marathon. I would love to for T2 to box me in and make me put up or shut up. I’ve trained for it before, but I’m not a natural runner, it’s work for me. However, it is one of the few tasks from my five year plan that I haven’t been able to scratch off and the window closes soon.

6.  Dirt says:

This assault on the MetLife Super Bowl is so absurd. Half the league’s teams would kill for a cold weather game two weeks before the Super Bowl. And the stadiums would be full. Just like the local ski resorts and other forms of outdoor entertainment in the North in winter.

I actually find it more ridiculous to ask players to pile on heavy equipment and play a 1PM game in September in Miami. But there’s no outrage there.