February 11th, 2013 at 4:15 PM
By Simon Garron-Caine

'Martellus Bennett 2012 Shankbone' photo (c) 2012, David Shankbone - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ While Will Beatty may be the New York Giants most important free agent and Domenik Hixon is one of the more interesting free agent case studies, this next entry in our free agent profile series is undoubtedly the most fun: the one and only Black Unicorn himself, tight end Martellus Bennett.

Bennett's one season in Blue was widely seen as a tryout for a long-term deal and the initial reports are that both sides are interested in pursuing a long, happy life together. Bennett says he wants to retire a Giant and the team has expressed interest in retaining him.

The obvious fly in the ointment are other suitors: the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are said to be interested in his services and are likely to not be alone in their pursuit…and we all know it only takes one team to pull out a megabucks deal to make Bennett think twice about his future.

That said, Bennett was slowed down last year by a nagging knee injury that limited his production down the stretch and as a result he's not hitting free agency on the back end of a huge, breakout season. It might save the Giants from having to match – or not match – a huge contract.

Armchair GM says:

His big personality rubbed some people the wrong way with the Dallas Cowboys and that was likely part of the reason he only got a "prove it" deal last year. But Bennett's seemingly fit in very well with the Giants: his personality seems to have been ingratiating to teammates and fans, and there haven't been professionalism issues. Bennett may have some suitors, but the Giants (who don't have an obvious replacement on the roster) will be the immediate favorite.

Given Bennett's affection for the cameras and his self-professed to desire to remain a member of the organization, it's likely he's a Giant come opening day 2013 and beyond.

Up next on NY Giants Free Agent Profile:

S Kenny Phillips

Tags: Dallas Cowboys, Domenik Hixon, Football, free agent, Martellus Bennett, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Will Beatty

44 Responses to “New York Giants Free Agent Profile: TE Martellus Bennett, Will He Stay or Will He Go?”

“Likely he’s a Giant come opening day 2013 and beyond”? Hope you’re right, but “likely” seems quite overstated to me. The Giants just won’t pay a tight end a lot of money. Tampa Bay has lots of cap room, a Bennett brother, and Florida taxes. If they go after him it could be very tough retaining him.

2.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

FF55 – I think from what I have read regarding Oday Aboushi, he has very small arms for a OT and got owned at the Senior Bowl. I am going to try and find the link. I would rather grab a guy like Fluker who has played against more elite talent, even if it means giving up a pick or two to make it happen.

Thanks. I know absolutely nothing about him, just wondering if my Brooklyn friend (who says he saw him play ball in high school) knows a good thing when he sees it.

Of course no way we get Fluker in Round 2. I don’t see Reese trading up to get him either, but hey, you never know.

I’m still on the wavelength that we should go corner with #19, OL or DT with #51, and the other of the two with the next pick, which I am hoping will have been accelerated by a trade.

And if someone is crazy enough to give us their first pick and then work out a deal with Cruz for big bucks, I’d use that extra first round pick to make sure that by the time I got around to my fifth pick I had a linebacker too.

•  sonnymooks says:

I don’t know alot about him as a football player, but I can tell you, from what I’ve heard, first hand, he is an outstanding human being.

After the hurricane hit, he was out there helping people, doing work and service and helping those who were devastated, him and his family lent a helping hand and did alot for the community.

His character is off the freaking chart, on a scale of 1 to 10, he’s like a 15, thats how much good he was doing to help people, and how much he cared.

As a football player, he’s athletic, a big boy, but he could stand to add some beef to his frame, but as a person, he’s a role model that any team should be proud to have.

3.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Nevermind, I was mistaken. Sounds as though Aboushi is more of a LT prospect than a RT though. If we retain Beatty, I’m not sure how much good Aboushi would serve aside from depth. RT’s are generally more of maulers…which doesn’t sound like Aboushi’s strength.

Hmm, sounds like he actually fits our scheme and could play either position. Perhaps someone to keep an eye on as a bit more under-the-radar than bigger names.

I want Bennett back as much as anyone. I don’t see him as a Boss or Ballard but a player that’s much more dynamic who’s just scratching the surface of what’s he can do with Eli in this offense. However, I think likely will be back is too strong, more like 50-50. The conflict between more money and playing in NY is a big one. Plus tampa could provide the chance to play with his brother. And Chicago is another option as well.

At this point signing TT is like signing any of these other players to future contracts. He’s going to be given a chance to earn a roster spot. I think safety is his best chance. I think we could even keep 5 safeties due to Rolle and hopefully TT’s ability to still help out a nickel CB in a pinch. TT is a great story and hopefully he can contribute but anyone with higher expectations than TT contributing as a backup DB is being unrealistic. Anything more is a bonus and can’t be expected. To me if there’s someone later in the draft we like at safety TT’s presence shouldn’t stop us from drafting that player. Sash and TT will be in a battle to make this roster. Both can make but for neither is their spot close to being a lock.

6.  jfunk says:

I’ve resigned myself to the idea that Unicorn will be one & done as a Giant. I just don’t see the Giants matching the offers he will receive from other teams that simply allocate more cap space to the TE position.

He showed last year that he is perfectly capable of being a complete TE and put to rest the slanderous lies that came from the mouths of Dallas front office “professionals”. He’s not going to break the bank based on his numbers last year, but he’ll get a “good” contract and I just don’t see the Giants giving a “good” contract to a TE.

By the way, regarding his supposed work ethic “problems”, I still don’t believe a word of it. Bennett was a near-perfect blocker during his sentence in Dallas. You don’t become that accomplished at the most thankless job on the field with a poor work ethic.

I heard we could lose Beatty to the Vatican. A lot of the Cardinals think he’d make the perfect Pontiff. And there’s no way we can win a bidding war with the Catholic Church. No cap for them … and they’re throwing in a cool car as a sweetener. Pope Bill the First … book it.

I was looking at Duane Brown’s 7 year, 56 mil contract and the format seems like something that could work well with Beatty. I’m not saying Beatty is as good as Brown because he’s not but remember Brown signed a year before his deal was up so he took security over the extra dollars he could have made on the open market. I think the format could work well with Beatty because it’s back loaded with a lot of money up front but very cap friendly in the early years.

•  jfunk says:

I could live with it. I’d defer to JR that Beatty is worth it if he gave him that deal.

Basically uncuttable for the first 3 seasons. It would be painful but doable in year 4.

I’m think less years and guarantees but similar if not more average per year. But that doesn’t really matter because unless Beatty is great he’s only playing 3-4 years on this deal anyways.

If we do lose Bennett (which I hope we don’t) one possible replacement could be Marcedes Lewis. He’s under contract today but there are rumors he could be cut. He seems like the candidate to sign a one year deal like Bennett to re-establish his value. He’s known to be a good blocker so he fits us but the question would be his price tag.

•  KingAndrewXXIII says:

If we lose Bennett, Lewis would be a great option. I feel like a vet that could come in and start while we continue to develop Robinson would be needed if the Unicorn departs. Pascoe is a good football player, but by no means a receiving threat that teams will scheme against.

•  kujo says:

Why are we so sure Robinson won’t be ready?

He is, after all, “the JPP of tight ends,” the guy who is supposed to have all this “potential” for our great tight ends coach to refine. Is 1 year really not going to be enough time to at least start to see some of this JPP-like performance?

•  jfunk says:

I’m certainly not so sure of that. If Bennett is not back, I fully expect Robinson to enter camp as the #1 TE and I’ll be very disappointed if he doesn’t deliver as such.

•  kujo says:

I imagine we’ll scour the heap for a veteran deal to supplement what we’ll get out of Bear and Robinson. Wouldn’t be surprised if we keep an eye on what the Patriots end up doing with Ballard, assuming they won’t actually retain the three or four dozen tight ends they have on their roster right now.

10.  shmitty013 says:

Daniel Jeremiah ?@MoveTheSticks
    The next GM or personnel director that tells me Sharrif Floyd will fall past the 10th pick will be the 1st. He’s going to get picked EARLY!

Thought might be a good choice in the 1st round, but Giants won’t get near him now. With Floyd going that high, probably means we don’t get Sheldon Richardson without a trade-up. I thought we would go DT in the 1st, but now I doubt it.

•  kujo says:

Floyd looks more like a 3-4 DE than a 4-3 DT.

•  shmitty013 says:

Not at all. Much better suited inside at 4-3 DT. When they moved him outside this past season because their DEs got hurt, he didn’t perform nearly as well. Pretty much the ideal DT in a 4-3. If you don’t believe me, this was Matt Miller’s (another solid draft guy) response to Jeremiah’s tweet that I just posted:

Matt Miller ?@nfldraftscout
        @MoveTheSticks Have him top 5 now. Amazing three tech potential.

•  G-MenFan says:

Well, that makes the 50th guy that’s definitely going in the top ten.

We could be screwed.

•  shmitty013 says:

I haven’t heard anyone say anyone is going top ten. In fact, this draft has very few guaranteed top 10 picks. It’s a deep draft, but weak at the top. Not many studs at all outside of Joeckel, Warmack, and Lotulelei.