February 11th, 2013 at 12:00 PM

'David Diehl' photo (c) 2006, Alexa - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ New York Giants offensive lineman David Diehl pleaded guilty to aggravated DUI and impaired driving on Monday, stemming from an incident in early June of 2012 when he drove his BMW into a number of parked cars on Broadway at 31st Street.

"I've worked hard during my career to set a positive example, and yesterday I fell far short of this standard. I apologize to my family, my fans, the New York Giants, and the NFL. I made a poor decision that I sincerely regret, and, as always, take full responsibility for my actions," Diehl said in a statement following the incident.

The accident occurred at roughly 8:20 PM EST after Diehl had finished watching the Croatia vs. Ireland soccer game at Scorpio Cafe & Bar in Astoria. No one was injured, but Diehl was promptly arrested and charged with DWI. His blood alcohol level was .182, which is more than twice the legal limit in New York.

"My client will continue in the NFL DWI treatment program," said his attorney Gary Certain.

Shortly after the arrest, cell phone video footage was uploaded to the internet showing the aftermath, including Diehl in the back of an ambulance which was called the to scene.

As a result of his guilty plea, Diehl has been ordered to wear a SCRAM bracelet for 90 days, placed on a six-month conditional program, and must pay $1,200 in restitution and $300 in fines.

Diehl met with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell following the incident, and was not suspended in 2012. However, that doesn't preclude the league from doling out punishment now that the legal process has taken its course, with Diehl pleading guilty. He still faces a possible suspension for violating the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy.

(H/T to TMZ)

Tags: David Diehl, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Roger Goodell

23 Responses to “New York Giants’ David Diehl Pleads Guilty to DUI; Ordered to Wear a SCRAM Bracelet”

1.  kujo says:

I heard that it was Jerry Reese who ordered Diehl to scram, but the slow b-stard was drunk again and thought Reese was the judge and the Timex Center was the courthouse. Everyone is wondering why the guy is wearing a defective Livestrong bracelet.

2.  kujo says:

Repost in reference to rlhjr’s excellent and entirely too wordy post this morning:

Myself, Demo, Haz, Kyle and Rigsbee were discussing this topic last night, and we all pretty much agree that we need to get better right up the gut of our defense. I think the combination of Rogers, Kuhn and Joseph provides all the “stout” we’ll need, and so our attention ought to turn towards acquiring what you call the “penetrating presence” at DT. Gone are the days of Tuck being that guy for us, at least on any consistent basis, and the jury is still very much out on whether Austin’s smaller build can be overcome with the ferocity he showed at NC, along with the technique and skill he’s been being taught in the 2 years he’s been a pro. If he could live up to his potential, we would be a hell of a lot better at DT already, but I’ll bet Reese drafts a contingency plan somewhere in the top half of the draft. I wouldn’t count out pass rusher as a target in the first 2 or 3 rounds either.

As for LB, you and I are of the same mind. I’ll take Te’o, Olgetree or Nico for sure. They all look like inside guys to me, but could be versatile enough to be on the strong side as well.

On the whole, this draft need to be about toughness. We need some asskickers, guys with attitude and hitting power. We’ve got enough pretty boys and clothing designers. I want some thugs and some dumbsh*t cornfed country boys, guys who hit like a Mack truck, be it on the defensive line, in the linebackers or on the offensive line.

fanfor55years says:
      February 11, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Strength up the middle of the defense? Couldn’t agree more. Been singing that tune since a few games into last season when it became obvious we didn’t have even a resemblance of that.

That’s the defensive tackles (pretty poor play by Joseph last season, nothing much from Canty, some nice work from Kuhn before going down but who knows if he can come back and contribute after that injury, a cipher in Austin, and Bernard doing his best which wasn’t nearly good enough) and the MIKE (wow was Chase lousy last season except in a few games, Herzlich is a mystery, Muasau seems to have the body and the fire but probably has a HUGE amount of learning to do and who knows if he’s capable of it, and Rivers remains a possibility though on the light side for the spot) and the safeties (kudos to KP, Rolle and Hill, who are all hitters when they need to be but cannot be expected to prevent consistent 3-6 yard gains when the front seven isn’t allowing them to get to the gap without opposition).

Have to improve there or we’re not going anywhere. Get that middle fixed (Rogers is a start) and a lot of other things will fall into place.

I remain convinced that the first three picks should be a corner, a defensive tackle and an offensive lineman. We’ll see. In Reese We Trust.

•  rlhjr says:

FF55, thanks for calling attention to my post.

CT GIANT:
        Read you loud and clear. But remember Coughlin does respond to two things as far as playing rooks:

First, he finds they “play” really well when he has no choice in the matter. Money and the fact that there is simply no place else to go will dictate plenty of what TC does. Also not to be forgotten are the roles that Bradshaw, Smith and Boss played in 2007. They were huge and they were first year rooks.

Second, if Reese and his scouts do their due diligence, this year’s defensive draft is broad enough to come up with some players talented and smart enough to take on expended rolls over and above that which the average rook can handle. I think Reese and his crew are fully capable of doing just that.

And to Kuj and FF55, I do fully understand the need for an offensive lineman.
        Not knowing the future status of Beatty, Baas or Boothe, I really would opt for a player (Barrett Jones Alabama) in the second round to cover this area. But I’d be tempted to pass if I thought I’d found that ideal defender inthat slot.

I feel Kujo nailed it about this needing to be a (literally) kick a$$ draft.
        And about letting Reese do his thing.

However, nothing but bad boys need apply. The team needs the skill and attitude adjustment. The Seahawk’s seem to be the prototype for now.
        By season’s end the Giants could be that prototype.

I wish I could figure Tuck out. In the past capable of being a dominating presence … now talking retirement one day … and recapturing his old self the next day.

But football is such a game of emotion. It’s hard to believe that he could lose the passion … and then get it back. I know he’s been hit with nagging injuries. That’s part of it. But in the end I just have no clue how he’s going to play next season.

•  rlhjr says:

.182 … That’s pretty well drunk. I wonder how that’s playing in management circles.

We sort of need to hit it good in this draft. With all the changes … all the departures … we really need an influx of talent. This is not the year to have a bad draft.

There’s never a year to have a bad draft, but you’re right. These have to be among the building blocks for the next few seasons and we need some kids who can mature and play quickly. I think we will see very few “projects” through the first six rounds.

5.  LUZZ says:

I must have missed it. Where has Tuck talked about retiring? I’ve read it here from some posters but never heard it from Tuck. I admit, i don’t keep up with as much chatter as some so i may have missed it, but I don’t recall hearing that from Tuck.

Obviously his play has lacked passion for huge stretches so one could easily conclude his heart isn’t in it like it once was. Just wondering when he actually voiced that he was considering hanging them up. If he has voiced this, I can’t imagine that Reese would be thrilled. In fact, I would think JR would make significant efforts to ship him out if he didn’t think Tuck’s heart was in it.

Some time back he was musing over how it would be good to get back to the simpler life he led in Alabama. Whether or not it was worth putting himself through the rigors of more NFL campaigns.

•  LUZZ says:

Great – Hopefully his agent convinced him that playing on one of the biggest stages in the world and chasing down SB rings in exchange for millions is actually a pretty good gig. He’s got the next 40 years to live the simple life and shovel chicken sh!t on the farm in Alabama if you he chooses.

6.  CT GIANT says:

If Justin Tuck is the “leader” in the locker room, boy, I would love to hear him, after taking the last two years off? This guy, could be a solid role model, but Rolle imo, has far and away moved into that role, hey a pun I think?
    Say what you will Rolle plays the game, and yes, he makes mistakes, both on the WFAN, and interviews, but I don’t question his fortitude, nor his calling out Tuck, and his teammates to get it together, and they listened, right to the Super-Bowl.
    Reese will keep this guy, but he won’t, or maybe I should say, Fewell won’t tolerate his lack of effort, which no one here would argue, he does and often, and yeah, that’s my opinion.

Vick agrees to a one year 10 mil deal w Philly

I think 2013 season will be determined more about the last few drafts than the 2013 draft. Of course we need a big time 2013 draft to contribute maybe more than some other draft classes right away. But I think the 2013 sucess will be determined more by guys like Brewer, Austin, williams, hosley, tracy and jernigan stepping out of the shadows.

If we really feel these player are ready to step up it changes the way we act in free agency and even draft.

•  rlhjr says:

The very bottom line is they were all drafted with the expectation to perform.
      And they are each being asked to do what they supposedly love to do.
      That is to play professional football. Ojomo, Tracy, Brewer and whoever else are no longer rookies. It is time for them to step up and be at least serviceable.

And if you are going to move toward youth, who is going to get playing time?
      Better yet, who’ll be left to play is the better question?

10.  rlhjr says:

I offered this bit of wisdom years ago. Some may remember others may not.

Quite simply no General Manager (worth a damn) will allow a player or players who possess game changing talent walk over money. However, if such a player is allowed to leave, you can rest assured that GM and coaching staff knows that a player of equal or greater talent is either on the roster, or can be drafted or otherwise acquired.

It’s the way business is done. As long as the Giants employ Jerry Reese that is how they will operate. It’s actually a mixture pristine logic and common sense, which is sometimes not very common. When properly applied, it subtracts a good amount of drama out of the operation of a football organization. And yes, that’s VERY old school.

Thankfully here, we manage to keep conversation and some drama going due to inquisitive nature and high football IQ of many of our posters and writers. The ability to look into and question things is how knowledge is gained and many times advancements are recognized and finally made. It’s also fun.

I do btch and moan about why Reese will not do this that or the other when comes to draft certain positions. And I do like to project scenarios for the Giants getting their hands on players I feel will enhance their defense or offense. But I fully understand two very important things:

Number one, what I feel has no bearing on what the Giants organization does or even should do. I merely state my thoughts propose questions and look to start conversation on subject matter. Something we all clearly seem to enjoy.

Number two: I know Jerry is among the very best at what he does in the game of football. So it’s like thinking with a chess master……..you’re allowed to feel good when you even come close. LOL