Ahmad Bradshaw Leaves Door Open for New York Giants Return

February 7th, 2013 at 7:00 AM

The New York Giants continued their cap cutting on Wednesday, releasing both running back Ahmad Bradshaw and defensive tackle Chris Canty. But in the case of Bradshaw, a door was left open for a potential return, says the two-time Super Bowl champion.

"They even also mentioned future possibilities. … [It] was mentioned," Bradshaw said of a possible return while appearing on WFAN. "There's always a door open on my side."

In the event that a return does not happen, Bradshaw thanked the Giants organization and their fans for years of support. But, at the same time, he's already looking ahead, preparing himself mentally to play for a new team.

“I saw it coming because of the money. Everything is about money I guess, so yes I was expecting it. I’m not discouraged at all. I’m just looking towards getting healthy and working with somebody else," Bradshaw said during an ESPN Radio interview. "That is all I can do. The Giants fans will always be remembered and always be loved. This is where I started and I just want to thank everybody for their support. Hopefully I’ll be back soon."

Bradshaw added that, following another surgery on his right foot to replace the screws, he'll be healthy and ready to go by the time NFL training camps begin. Whether or not he's with the Giants at that time remains to be seen, but don't be so quick to dismiss a return. The Giants may reach out to him should he remain available later on in free agency, and attempt to workout a lower deal as they did a year ago with Brandon Jacobs.

As it stands now, both Ryan Torain and Kregg Lumpkin will be unrestricted free agents (UFA) come March, Andre Brown will be a restricted free agent (RFA), while only David Wilson and Da'Rel Scott remain under contract. Although, the team is expected to keep Brown with a possible tender.

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, Chris Canty, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

18 Responses to “Ahmad Bradshaw Leaves Door Open for New York Giants Return”

1.  Dirt says:

I love the competitor, I don’t love the body. I’m not sure I see any role for him.

•  jfunk says:

If he were willing to hang around as the last guy on the depth chart, only getting playing time to spell Wilson & Brown, I’d feel more comfortable with him back there than a rookie should the Giants find themselves in the playoffs and lose a RB to injury.

2.  Dirt says:

I am also thrilled that the offense will now feature a legit pass catching threat out of the backfield. This can only enhance the passing game. With good health, I think 2013 is the best Giants offense we’ve ever seen. An athletic pulling offensive linemen or two would guarantee it.

•  Levito says:

Legit pass catching threat? Who’s that? Wilson wasn’t exactly known as a pass catching RB coming out of VT.

•  Dirt says:

Poor choice of words I guess. At the very least, he’s replacing a guy with poor route running, stone hands and an inability to set downfield blocks. You at least gotta respect a known playmaker now.

3.  Liberal Giant says:

There are a lot of teams with a lot of space under the cap. One of them will sign Bradshaw. I might rather have Jacobs back for less. At least he can be a sixth lineman.

Congrats to those who predicted these cuts. Some people around here have trouble committing to a real prediction, and instead, submit regular posts that fail to reflect any kind of susbstantive decision making.

I suspect, or hope, at least one more cut is coming. His name is Cory Webester. Something has to be done about him. Had he played better and had he rec’d some help from a healthy KP, the Giants would have made the playoffs. This is 6-7 million Reese cannot afford.

•  Chad Eldred says:

Was that post a demonstration of your own point? That’s quite a limb you’re out on with the Webster call.

•  jfunk says:

No way Corey’s getting paid his scheduled salary, but I’d rather see him restructure than be outright released.

I don’t really think he’s completely done and we’re not exactly swimming in CBs. If he’ll come back on the cheap, I’m all for it.

If he’s not interested in restructuring to a much cheaper contract, then the Giants don’t have much choice but to let him go.

4.  F0XLIN says:

I agree Webster did have a horrible year and probably not worth 7mio at this stage in his career. It was brought up on g101 numerous times that his hamstring was injured much worse than ever reported.

What really pains me is the way Fewell has been using him. Webster has proved time and time again, he cannot play a zone, read and react style of defense. He was terrible at this his first 2 years out of college, and didn’t come on until Spags let him play man, up at the line of scrimmage.

I think Webster can bounce back to the form we’ve seen in past years but only if Fewell plays to his strengths. If not, let him go

•  Chad Eldred says:

Fewell will do what he knows. Cover-2. Webster should go. Let’s pull the band-aid off quickly. Hosley will be in his second year and will be a solid starter this year. Amukamara-Hosley is as very good tandem that we can win with for the foreseeable future. Reese and his minions can scour the scrap heap for depth in the secondary. We’ll be find without Webster.

•  rlhjr says:

By the time we select all the impact backers will be gone. And what the Giants need at linebacker is one of two things:

1. A Patrick Willis clone (top ten pick)
        2. A football savvy over achiever with good measurables. (top of 2nd or 3rd round)

Anything else will end up being more of the same. If Giants management is going to give Fewell an even chance of being successful, then they must address the middle of this defense. That means, MIKE/DT and safety need to be solid. So Kenny Phillips becomes a focal point due to his possible defection due to what he felt was substandard medical care.

The truth is the heart of Fewells defense is Tampa 2. And the positions I’ve mentioned must be up to snuff for it to have a chance of success. So via draft and/or FA’s the middle of the Giant D must be a hell of a lot better than it has been for a while. There are no two ways about that.

This also means that Marvin Austin’s replacement (he meant to raise hell in the middle of the opponent’s offensive line) is found right away. It may also mean Manti Te’o find his way to Jersey.

And please folks remember, this is a two part play. Yes, Reese will attempt to fill in using various modes of free agents. Some may even pan out and become solutions. Next year’s draft however, will snap everything into focus. That’s the way I see it IMHO. Those of you who keep score, BOOK IT!

5.  Levito says:

Everyone who says Webster is getting cut is nuts. The only way that happens is if the Giants try to renegotiate his contract and he flat out refuses. As much as I think Prince is ready to take on the #1 spot and Hosley has a ton of potential, going into this season with just the two of them is not a smart idea. Prince hasn’t been healthy his 2 years in the league and Hosley pulls a hammy every time he makes a play. If one of those guys miss a game, it’s a scrub out there covering starting receivers. And it’s not worth spending another first round pick on a CB when there’s glaring issues at DT, LB and OL. They need to reduce Webster’s salary and keep him around for at least one more season while Hosley continues to develop.

As far as Bradshaw, I’d love to see him back once he tests the market and sees how soft it is. And no, I wouldn’t stick him at the bottom of the depth chart. Who cares if he’s making the vet minimum. If he can play, he’s a hard runner, and I’d be happy to pair him with Wilson. By now we all know Wilson will get the lion’s share of the carries, but a hard runner who plays with the passion and fire that AB does–I’ll take that any day.

•  rlhjr says:

I am thinking you are right about Webster. If he agrees to a reduction in pay and has a good attitude about schooling Prince and Hosley like Madison schooled him.

As for Bradshaw, having him back would be a good thing for the Giants.
      First, his proclivity for injury would dramatically decrees due to fewer touches.
      He would be a wonderful change of pace to both Wilson and Brown.

He’s a hell of a blocker and he knows the offense. Nothing but good things can come with bringing Braddy back at the right price. Best of all his influence on the young runners would be a welcome thing.

And you really nailed it………If the Giants happen to find themselves in the playoff, Bradshaw’s experience and grit is something the young backs could feed off of. Right this moment it’s third and 7 with 3 minutes left in the NFC divisional playoff game and Eli has to throw it.

Who do you want in the backfield blocking between, Brown, Wilson and Bradshaw? I think the answer is pretty clear.

I think DT is something that has to be addressed through free agency. We need more than a role player like Rodgers would be at this point of his career, we need a starter. Both Kuhn and Austin are question marks on if they can contribute heavily. Even a drafted DT is likely not ready to start looking at past history. So to me the only solution is to sign a starting DT or at least someone capable of playing starting level snaps. I would love to go with all youth at DT but from what only have one DT we can count on in Joseph and there’s even debate about him. Kuhn could be a heavy contributor but he’s a question due to his injury. Austin is someone at this point we can expect much from though we can hope for a real contribution. He’s like TT, a bonus if he can be a key player but someone you can’t count on to be a key contributor.

7.  demo3356 says:

UUT

8.  Thecatch88 says:

Hind sight is always more clear but if we gave cantys money to Barry cofield we’d be set at DT

9.  CT GIANT says:

Thecatch88: This guy must know football, Cofield & Joesph would be a nice fit right now!
    Just posted the same on the Blue-Screen! BTW- Barry had more tackles at DT, in his last year with the giants then anyone else, huh?
    Guess Reese doesn’t “see everything”.
    CT GIANT

•  Thecatch88 says:

Exactly the two of them would be solid Barry was really under rated and over looked and is healthy we miss him a lot