New York Giants to Release Running Back Ahmad Bradshaw?

February 6th, 2013 at 9:40 AM

The offseason is now underway and moves are already beginning to be made. On Tuesday, the New York Giants released veteran linebacker Michael Boley, and now a source close to running back Ahmad Bradshaw tells Giants 101 that he, too, expects to be released in the very near future.

However, being released and expecting to be released are two entirely different animals, and Bradshaw has been wary of his possible "termination" since the season ended. He even speculated as such last week.

"I can't say it's a concern, but there's always a chance of me not being back next year," Bradshaw said Saturday. "With David there, Andre, now they may have what they're looking for and they may be light on cash. I haven't heard anything and they haven't said anything, which is a good sign. I hope to be a Giant no matter what, but you never know what happens."

Based on cap numbers provided by SNY, Bradshaw, who is scheduled to earn a base salary of $3.75 million in 2013, is also in line for bonuses tallying an additional $1.5 million. In total, that makes his 2013 cap hit an estimated $5.25 million. By cutting Bradshaw, the Giants would be on the hook for $2.5 million in 2013. Keeping him would cost them only an additional $2.75 million, and a large portion of that is made up in his $1.5 million bonuses.

Of course, cap numbers and projections vary by source, so the actual numbers could differ from SNY's projections.

Whatever the case may be, the rumors of Bradshaw's potential release have already begun to go viral, with Giants super fan, License Plate Guy, sending a tweet that seems to corroborate the rumors.

"Nature of the business!! Ahmad Bradshaw will probably be let go (brought back I hope) just don't be surprised people. Let everything play out," he tweeted.

Giants 101 will keep you updates as more information becomes available.

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, Football, Michael Boley, New York, New York Giants, NFL

39 Responses to “New York Giants to Release Running Back Ahmad Bradshaw?”

1.  The Original G Man says:

I would not be surprised. I stated previously that I think cutting Boley was designed to send a message to Canty, Webster, Bradshaw, etal, that when Reese approaches you about restructuring, don’t think for a minute that he won’t cut you instead.

•  Levito says:

Send a message? No, Boley was cut because his play was declining and he was due too much this season. They didn’t feel a restructuring was necessary, they just felt he was over the hill and not a contributor. Time to get younger at that position.

Canty and Webster will at least have chances to restructure. Bradshaw might too, but he might also get cut. I’m sure JR knows he can replace his production, maybe not as easy to replace his fire and passion.

Wow! If this is true I agree with the move but I didn’t think JR would make it. It makes sense because we have Wilson and Brown plus we can draft another RB in the mid to late rounds. We can also sign a vet RB if needed. Re-signing Jacobs is possible.

The Giants now have two early-round talents at running back (Wilson and Brown). They are not going to spend more than a little over veteran minimum for any others. From among their late signings last season or an UDFA or a late round pick in April they’ll fill out the position. They’ll probably offer Bradshaw a very cheap deal after cutting him (much as they may do with Diehl), and if he takes it, fine. I don’t think he will. He can still be an excellent #2 back in the NFL and someone will pay him more than we would to take on that role.

3.  James Stoll says:

First Bolely. Now maybe Bradshaw. If the latter happens, can Beatty, Boothe, Beckum, Bennett and Brewer be far behind?
    An assault on the B’s!!!!!!

4.  LUZZ says:

Assuming Osi is a goner, the number of guys remaining on this roster with 2 rings:
    Eli
    Snee
    Webster
    Tuck
    Kiwi
    Hixon

Did I miss anyone?

5.  James Stoll says:

Diehl

6.  LUZZ says:

Yikes – missed a few. Although all 3 of those plus Webster might be toast soon.

Re-post because I want this seen. I don’t mind being called wrong, or egotistic, or whatever other nasty thing you want to say. But “wishy washy”? That’s bull-dung. Have at me, but don’t kid yourself about who I am. Demo gets away with being wrong much more than I and still pounds his chest and no one minds. I can take the brickbats BUT one thing you cannot say is that I don’t say what I think because I want to in someone’s mind protect a track record.

Unlike many here, I both admit when I’m wrong and know, from experience, that no one is right all the time. But you don’t win if you don’t get in the arena, and you are doomed to stay ignorant if you don’t examine your mistakes and learn from them.

fanfor55years says:
    February 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Okay, I’m going to answer Nosh’s incredibly obnoxious and uncalled for dissing of me as “wishy-washy” by noting a few things I’ve firmly said over the years:

1) Eli Manning will be a great quarterback (said in 2005-2006 when most of you and the rest of the fan base were so down on him it was ridiculous) and win Super Bowls for us;

2) Antonio Pierce is overrated (said in 2006) and is garbage (said in 2007-2008);

3) The Giants will win the Super Bowl within two years (said at the beginning of the 2007 season but meant to apply to 2008-2009);

4) The Giants were playing a team in the 2007 Super Bowl that was NOT great and had a good chance to beat them;

5) Antrell Rolle was a great signing and he’d become a team leader;

6) The Giants, contrary to popular belief, would have an excellent receiving corps based on their young guns and had no need to sign Bolden or any of the other big name free agents that people were braying for;

7) Hakeem Nicks will be, barring injury, a HOFer and the greatest receiver in Giants history;

8) Jason Pierre-Paul was a great draft pick (said based strictly on Reese’s and Ross’ reactions after the pick was made);

9) Prince Amukamara will be a stud (said when almost all of this site was so busy saying he was a puzzy and a bust);

10) Chris Canty and Kareem McKenzie are severely underrated by the fans and excellent players (said here when both were on the outs with most here);

11) David Diehl would beat out Beatty for the starting job in 2010 (when everyone had decided Diehl stunk);

12) Will Hill was a great signing (when hardly anyone knew who he was);

13) Gerris Wilkinson was a good player who simply needed a chance to play;

14) Tom Coughlin had “lost it” by 2008 when he allowed his coordinators to lose the playoff game against the Eagles with their idiotic game plans;

15) A propos of #14, that if Gilbride didn’t go to a short passing game in the predicted winds at the Meadowlands for the above-noted game they would lose because of bad coaching (said a week before the game based on weather reports and also said along with my expectation that they would not adjust);

16) At 7-7 in 2011 said that each of the last four games was quite winnable and they were far from dead and once you get in the playoffs you never know (said in the face of derision from most except demo);

18) Ramses Barden is a bum (how many here raked me over the coals and told me I had “an agenda” about him?);

19) Ojomo should be kept (plenty insisted his preseason last year meant nothing while I insisted I know a natural passrusher when I see one);

20) Joseph has not been all that great, and certainly not close to what folks around here claim him to be, while Kuhn actually played pretty well in limited duty;

21) Most of you have NO idea how well Kenny Phillips has played when healthy;

22) Perry Fewell’s defensive scheme not only stinks but can take the home field advantage away from the Giants because the crowd cannot stay loud when each drive concedes easy first-downs on third downs throughout the game

And a whole lot of others that I’m not bothering to include. Most right. A few wrong. How many “wishy-washy”? Your statement was consistent with plenty of other things you do: set up straw men and then claim to be the “hard” guy who stands up for reasoned commentary. You’re kidding yourself buddy.

Yeah, I’m getting more obnoxious, too, because I’m fed up with fools on this site pretending I’m something I’m not. What I am is someone who has been pretty much on the mark for years, and it must be very hard for people like you with egos in need of support to deal with that. When I’m wrong, I readily admit it. But wishy-washy I am not.

•  James Stoll says:

Yikes!

Don’t EVER call me wishy-washy. I hit back. Decisions are what I do.

btw, do you or do you not know all of the above to be true, especially because you were on the other side of many of those arguments? I’m not criticizing you. I love your commentary. But have I said anything untrue above?

•  F0XLIN says:

I think you pegged Joseph and one of the best up and coming tackles in the league (but I’m just nitpicking)

•  kujo says:

Yes he did. Remember that specifically.

That is true. But I also was quick to say that he was terrible in 2012 when many were still high on him (I remain hopeful) while acknowledging that I thought he was going to be very good and still might be. (Okay, that IS a bit wishy-washy, but that’s the way I feel….still hopeful but no longer excited by him).

I didn’t say everything I listed was right. I said it was not wishy washy as Nosh tried to pretend I’ve been.

•  nick86 says:

You also have a habit of proclaiming Camp Fodder like Henderson a few years back and god knows who else as the next big thing, way overrating their talent.

M. Petrus was going to be the next great Guard for this team….I dont think he even finished the year on the roster…

Wilkerson was uber talented and just needed to get on the field…

I think you get attacked so much b/c you have a habit of making some extreme proclomations without much reasoning behind them….at times. usually when evaluating player talent. other wise i usually agree with what your saying

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I think many people here envy your knowledge and like to challenge it. But that’s my personal opinion.

Few things…. My comments are below the original statement.

This is a crazy statement. That was a VERY good NE Patriot team. They set all kinds of records that year and went undefeated till the SB.They go cocky and let it go to their heads.

WR is one of the hardest positions to be elected into the HOF. Nicks needs to be healthy and believe it or not, put up better stats. Why? Because in his position that’s what they look for. Chris Carter JUST got in this year. And no offense to Mr. Nicks, but Chris Carter was/is better than him.

13) Gerris Wilkinson was a good player who simply needed a chance to play.

RIDICULOUS.

4) If you watched the last part of the season they were beatable. I still feel a healthy Rivers and LT beats them in the AFC championship game. They were a great team the first 10 games and then slowly became just a very good team and one that was beatable.

7) It’s way too early. Andre Rison was a sure fire HOFer 4 years into his career while players like Chris Carter and Time Brown were nothing special. Longevity will determine a lot at WR and it’s just too early to know what Nicks will become.

13) I agreed with F55 at the time but clearly we were wrong.

•  kujo says:

I think you missed the attempt at humor with the Wilkinson point. It’s understandable–it’s hard to decipher his comments when he’s making them with a mouth full of his own twig and berries.

What I said was that they were not “great”. Of course they were good, very good. But they were far from The Greatest Team of All Time as the media had them becoming if they beat us. That was laughable and I explained why at the time.

I’ll stick with my call on Nicks.

I know I was wrong on Wilkinson. Very wrong. I’ve acknowledged that many times. That was just an example of stating something that wasn’t “wishy-washy”.

•  kujo says:

That was a flawless execution of what we in the yoga industry call the “Downward-Facing Scrotum.”

Not to say you aren’t correct, though. The wide receiver thing, in particular, is what gives you cred with me. You led that parade and were the only person on here doing so. I hope people begin to see me in that same light re: the slow decline of our offensive line and the ineffective nature of the draft philosophy surrounding its reconstruction.

I completely agree, and I started out only partly in agreement. You and I both pushed for a center before they signed Baas, and were both leery about how the tackle position was being handled. But I believed more in their draft low-and-develop approach and have come around to your view on that. They need to mix in more high picks than just Beatty. And this is a draft that they can do it, because there are some real studs available.

I should add that I’ve loved those posts of yours because I learned from them. It changed my mind. That’s what I really want from Giants 101.

•  Jason McEwan says:

I’m more disturbed by the fact that you chronicled these things.

F55 – I’m high on Brown from what I saw but I think you have we have to protect ourselves some because Brown has had durability issues. So we need a quality 3rd talent who can move up to the #2 RB if needed. I still think Scott could possibly handle that role. But if not then we need to add someone capable. I think we need 4 RBs with the uncertainty of Wilson or Brown never being even a consistent #2 RB.

•  Albo says:

Another reason why I would like a stronger offensive line. A stronger more capable offensive line can make a slightly above RB seem very good. It could make a very good running seem great. My point is that if we draft or find, via free agency, enough pieces to create a very solid o-line then the 3rd/4th RBs can be a JAG.

We were 8th in yards per carry last year. Bradshaw averaged 4.7, Wilson 5.0 and Brown 5.3. The OL was actually very effective run blocking last year. The pass blocking was the issue. Even short yardage was pretty good when we gave the job to Brown and he was healthy.

But keeping together the OL at least minus RT might be hard with both Beatty and Boothe being free agents and our cap crunch.

•  kujo says:

Brown doesn’t have “durability problems.” He tore his Achilles and broke his fibula. Both things are done and healed, and will not be a consistent problem in the future.

I’m not saying his injuries are chronic but he hasn’t stayed on the field in his NFL or college career therefore he gets the “durability problems” label. It’s just like the expectation Nicks will miss a few games every year. It’s not fact, just going on the past which is not always the best way to predict the future but it’s all we have.

9.  TuckThis says:

OMG. The he said, he said, you said, you said posts are mindboggling.
    Do you guys keep records or something?

I don’t miss Brandon Jacobs and I won’t miss Bradshaw if it comes to that.
    I’m tired of the can’t practice crap.
    That’s it. Write it down. Memorize it. Argue with it. Tell me I’m wrong. Tell me I’m a genius. Who cares? it’s my opinion. Worth nothing more or less.